Titan Question

Ed.Sauers

Group,

If I have a KA installed do I still need the small capacitor that comes with the Titan Decoder?.....seem to me I remember Josh saying it was not necessary if a KA was installed!!!

Ed Sauers

Bob

I remove my. Not needed.
Bob C

On Apr 30, 2020, at 1:41 PM, Ed.Sauers <dockside98@gmail.com> wrote:

Group,

If I have a KA installed do I still need the small capacitor that comes with the Titan Decoder?.....seem to me I remember Josh saying it was not necessary if a KA was installed!!!

Ed Sauers

Tom K.

So what exactly is the purpose of the small capacitor?  In the programming you can disable / enable it and I don't see any difference.

Joó Ferenc

Does KA refer to a small capacitor on the board?

Üdvözlettel,
Best regards,
MfG,

Ferenc Joó
Correspondent for Hungary
TREU - Today's Railways Europe
IRJ - International Railway Journal
GSM:   +36204141621

NOHAB Apartment
8263 Badacsonytördemic
Debreczenyi u. 9. / HUNGARY
"The holiday apartment on Lake Balaton
with its own garden railway!"

Tom K. via groups.io <fly_rockets=yahoo.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. ápr. 30., Cs, 19:48):

So what exactly is the purpose of the small capacitor?  In the programming you can disable / enable it and I don't see any difference.

Ed.Sauers

MfG,

Negative, in my message KA stands for an external KA that is wired to the blue and BlK/White strip ground. In my case it is a TCS KA3.

Ed Sauers

On 4/30/2020 2:04 PM, Joó Ferenc wrote:
Does KA refer to a small capacitor on the board?

Üdvözlettel,
Best regards,
MfG,

Ferenc Joó
Correspondent for Hungary
TREU - Today's Railways Europe
IRJ - International Railway Journal
GSM:   +36204141621

NOHAB Apartment
8263 Badacsonytördemic
Debreczenyi u. 9. / HUNGARY
"The holiday apartment on Lake Balaton
with its own garden railway!"

Tom K. via groups.io <fly_rockets=yahoo.com@groups.io> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. ápr. 30., Cs, 19:48):
So what exactly is the purpose of the small capacitor?  In the programming you can disable / enable it and I don't see any difference.

Joó Ferenc

Ed,

Sorry, English is not my native language, but I just figured KA stands for keep-alive.
This interests me also. What kind of keep-alive can be addd to a Titan?
Most manufacturers reccommend to use only their own product, except Zimo where you can just solder up 7 capacitors, connect to the decoder and you are done.
I have 4 Titans and would also like to add keep-alive but someone once sent me a drawing of a circuit that is required and I never got down to making one.
It would be interesting to know if an off-the-shelf keep-alive could be added to a Titan without modifications. I have O-scale DX-DO's and 10/20 Amp G scale Titans.

Ed.Sauers <dockside98@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. ápr. 30., Cs, 20:13):

[...]

Go to this link and look at the area about installing a "smart cap" this should answer your question.

https://209775f7-f46c-4729-9d78-7cc0c3414b15.filesusr.com/ugd/0f7119_a38d120ba23640d5878a0849026aee26.pdf

Ed Sauers

On 4/30/2020 2:20 PM, Joó Ferenc wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Will this be the same for all Titan decoders, or does this work only with the Titan-U?

Ed.Sauers <dockside98@...> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. ápr. 30., Cs, 20:26):

[...]

This is just for the U, with the A format you have to find the 12v and ground connections. I will look to see if I have a picture of the A board with where these connection points are. Will reply when I locate my diagram.

Ed Sauers