New help with wiring

bill_klopp

Hi
I took the qsi decoder and speakers out of my SW7 bl switcher. Now all I have is all black wires coming from trucks and motor. I have a digitrax DZ126PS decoder that I want to put in there. It has a plug in board but I will cut wires to solder together.
NOw it says black wire for left side power pickup, and red for right side power pickup. Do I use both front and back truck wires together to each one of those wires? Also on motor is says greay for motor - and Orange for motor +, with only black wires, how do I know which is the plus and minus side of the motor. Lights are anothe matter.
thanks
Bill

John KARL

You may want to check into Decoder Buddy from nixtrains.com if it fits it will greatly simplify your task

peteski7

Bill,
Yes, the front and rear truck power pickup wires will have be tied together and connected to the decoder power pickup leads.
Set the loco's chassis on your workbench so the rear end of chassis is facing you.  The truck's right side pickup wires will go to the decoder's red wire, and left side pickup wires to the decoder's black wire.
To figure out the motor's polarity get yourself a source of DC voltage (a fresh 9V battery will be perfect). Connect the wires coming from the motor to the battery terminals.  If the loco starts moving backwards, reverse the wires and try again. If the loco now moves forward then the motor wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery should connect to the decoder's orange wire, and the other motor wire wire to the gray decoder wire.

Peteski

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr

That is the clearest method I have ever heard. I stole it:) Hope ya don't mind but I did do cut & paste to my notes.
TCC:}

Talmadge C 'TC' Carr
Sn42 and Hn42 somewhere in the wilds of the Pacific Northwest
group_list@dapenguin.net

On 03February2020, at 00:58, peteski7 wrote:

Set the loco's chassis on your workbench so the rear end of chassis is facing you. The truck's right side pickup wires will go to the decoder's red wire, and left side pickup wires to the decoder's black wire.
To figure out the motor's polarity get yourself a source of DC voltage (a fresh 9V battery will be perfect). Connect the wires coming from the motor to the battery terminals. If the loco starts moving backwards, reverse the wires and try again. If the loco now moves forward then the motor wire connected to the positive terminal of the battery should connect to the decoder's orange wire, and the other motor wire wire to the gray decoder wire.

Peteski

Tom in Texas

I use a 9 volt battery to check the polarity of the motor connections. The wire which moves the locomotive forward when connected to a positive voltage is the one which go to the orange wire on the new decoder

Tom in Texas

peteski7

Not at all TC - steal all you want. :-)
I always have a 9V battery handy.  I use it on my workbench, and at train shows to quickly verify if a DC (or DCC with analog conversion enabled) loco works.

I'm into N scale, and the distance between the 9V battery terminals is perfect to touch them to N scale loco wheels.

Peteski