Topics

Rating on QSI Titan-U

Nicholas Geti

What is the maximum amp rating on the QSI Titan-U decoder for the motor outputs?

Nicholas Geti

kjlovesya

Hi Nicholas,

  The Titan U can handle 1.5 Amp continuous current draw with a 2.0 Amp peak.

KJ

Nicholas Geti

Since decoders are installed inside of a locomotive or a tender, will heat build-up be a problem or should some kind of forced ventilation be added? Is there a circuit that can limit the current and protect the decoder?

Nicholas

kjlovesya

Hi Nicholas,

  I'm assuming you are installing the decoder in an HO scale locomotive.

  According to QSI's Kelly Dorf, the Titan's motor drive circuitry is a very efficient H-bridge chip.  Which means very little heat buildup, even at 1.5 Amperes.

  Electrical engineer, Mark Gurries recommends keeping the decoder away from the motor, if at all possible.  The motor is going to be the hottest component in the chain.

KJ

Nicholas Geti

I am installing it in an O-scale tender rather than with the motor in the engine. I have other O-scale engines made by Sunset which are using the Titan-U so I should be safe there. I also have several DC engines which I haven't tested yet for current rating.

I am converting all of my engines to battery power with Airwire radio control which is why I am asking about maximum current loads.

Nicholas