Proto 2 k’s reseting to defualt

Bill Deeter

Kelly,

Attached is a picture. I have two of these. I hope you have a quick fix.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Bill Deeter
Delmarva Model RR Club

On 3/31/2019 12:19 AM, kelly.dorf@gmail.com [QSIndustries] wrote:

Hi Bill:

Lets try a quick fix. Contact me off list at qsindustries224@gmail.com
and we can try a couple upgrade chips. If that doesnt do the trick, I
have some replacement boards ( I think without knowing for sure, send
me a picture).

Kelly
QSI

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

kelly dorf

Hi Bill:

Lets try a quick fix. Contact me off list at qsindustries224@... and we can try a couple upgrade chips. If that doesnt do the trick, I have some replacement boards ( I think without knowing for sure, send me a picture).

Kelly
QSI

Nick

Bill,

The caps have nothing to do with this problem. It is the ORIGINAL chip in the decoder. It was crippled thanks to a frivolous lawsuit by MIKE'S TRAIN HOUSE claiming he invented the DCC technology for sound. QSI had to "cripple" those features until the suit was settled (Mike LOST). The only cure is to purchase the upgrade chip . They are available from Litchfield Station. The upgrade will cure that problem plus open up features like BEMF. I was a BETA tester for the upgrades and programmer. I have over 15 OEM decoders with upgrade chips in them and none has had the problem return.

The chips can be purchased pre-programmed with the correct sound file or , if you know someone with a programmer, they can load the correct file for you.

Good luck,
Nick Kulp

mike brady

Sounds like they have failed caps on the board...send them to QSI c/o Kelly Dorf.

Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android Device

-------- Original message --------
Date: 3/30/19 1:47 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: QSIndustries@...
Subject: [QSIndustries] Proto 2 k’s reseting to defualt

I have a couple of old Proto 2 k’s with what JMRI reports as QSI Ver 6 decoders.

They run good but it seems if there are a couple shorts on the layout they lose there programing and return to default 03 and lose all there other settings. At least that is what I think cause them to reset. Anyhow, they may run a couple of sessions with no problems and the next time one or the other or both reset. These are the only two of over 90 locomotives that do this. This is nothing new it has been happening since new I guess just really feed up with them messing up in the middle of a session. 

They are usually not run together but MU’d using Digitrax command station consisting to non-sound units.

Sadly, some operators just seem to run into the points more than others do.

Anybody have any tricks to fix this or is it just time to scrap the decoders.

--

Bill Deeter

Delmarva Model RR Club

Modeling the B&O Parkersburg Sub

(Parkersburg to Chillicothe)

DelmarvaModelRailroadClub.org

https://www.facebook.com/DMRRC

Bill Deeter

I have a couple of old Proto 2 k’s with what JMRI reports as QSI Ver 6 decoders.

They run good but it seems if there are a couple shorts on the layout they lose there programing and return to default 03 and lose all there other settings. At least that is what I think cause them to reset. Anyhow, they may run a couple of sessions with no problems and the next time one or the other or both reset. These are the only two of over 90 locomotives that do this. This is nothing new it has been happening since new I guess just really feed up with them messing up in the middle of a session. 

They are usually not run together but MU’d using Digitrax command station consisting to non-sound units.

Sadly, some operators just seem to run into the points more than others do.

Anybody have any tricks to fix this or is it just time to scrap the decoders.

--

Bill Deeter

Delmarva Model RR Club

Modeling the B&O Parkersburg Sub

(Parkersburg to Chillicothe)

DelmarvaModelRailroadClub.org

https://www.facebook.com/DMRRC