What are the engineers at QSI working on?

kjlovesya

Hi Kelly,

  Many of us are anxiously awaiting the new upgrades and sound sets that various members have suggested and requested.   Any news you'd like to share with us?

  Personally, I'm looking forward to the working variable Dynamic brake, more realism in operations (e.g. stretch braking - even though the Titan is already the best I've operated with) and some new variants in sound sets (especially number of cylinders and ECO in various EMD and GE products respectively).  Rapido Trains is coming out with a beautiful SW1200RS and I'd really like a 12 cyl EMD 567 decoder that runs sounds like the real thing with those big spark arresters.

 Any news on upgrades?

This is a very good subject. :-)

I was meaning to post something like that myself, but my interest is slightly different.

My first encounter with a QSI Revolution decoder was in a Walthers N scale 2-8-8-2 loco which had a factroy installed sound decoder.  It was a love at first sound!  The perfect cam-less chuff synchronization with the drivers was something I have never seen - and so was the quality of all the sounds.

Ever since that time I have been hoping for a release of a smaller N scale (or H0n3) version of the QSI decoder. For a while a smaller decoder was announced on Josh's QSI site but then it disappeared. I spoke to Josh few times (in the QSI booth at the large model train show in W. SPringfield, MA) inquiring about the N scale size decoder. He said that the problem with making a smaller (N scale) decoder was the size of the QSI's custom IC (the brains of the decoder). He said that there was some talk about developing a smaller IC which would be suitable for smaller size decoders, but that has not happened as of yet.  And now Josh is out of the picture anyway.

Is there any possibility that a smaller version of the QSI decoder will be produced to fit in N or H0n3 models?  In those smaller models there is no need for stereo sound, so a decoder with the capabilities of the Revolution decoder would be quite satisfactory.

Peteski

Steven Lansing

My guess would be that they are more focused on hardware at this point.Making more versions of the Titan decoders to try and re-coop their investment into QSIS.

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 7:39:20 AM EST, peteski7@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

Really  Steven?
My question was very hardware-specific (there was no mention of anything else).

I was specifically asking for a smaller QSI decoder (yes, hardware) to fit into smaller N scale (and H0n3) models. I really like QSI decoders and I would install them in more of my models if they only fit.

Peteski

On Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 7:39:20 AM EST, peteski7@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

[...]

Are you upset about my comment or something? Not sure why that would be the case,but whatever.

---In QSIndustries@..., wrote :

[...]

Upset? No. Just puzzled.  I asked a specific question about a possibility of QSI producing a smaller (physically) decoder and you chime in saying that QSI is most likely working on new . . . hardware.

But like you said: whatever.
Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <steven_lansing@...> wrote :

Are you upset about my comment or something? Not sure why that would be the case,but whatever.

Steven Lansing

I see why your upset. Yahoo sent my reply specifically to you instead of a group response. This is why I hate Yahoo. It's run by yahoo's!

On Saturday, November 25, 2017, 1:53:13 PM EST, peteski7@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

Upset? No. Just puzzled.  I asked a specific question about a possibility of QSI producing a smaller (physically) decoder and you chime in saying that QSI is most likely working on new . . . hardware.

But like you said: whatever.
Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <steven_lansing@...> wrote :

Are you upset about my comment or something? Not sure why that would be the case,but whatever.

peter.ulvestad@...

No Steve, Yahoo sent it to the group.

Peter

On Saturday, November 25, 2017, 1:53:13 PM EST, peteski7@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

Upset? No. Just puzzled.  I asked a specific question about a possibility of QSI producing a smaller (physically) decoder and you chime in saying that QSI is most likely working on new . . . hardware.

But like you said: whatever.
Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <steven_lansing@...> wrote :

Are you upset about my comment or something? Not sure why that would be the case,but whatever.

kelly dorf

Hello group!

I have an official response to your original question:

​"​
QSI Engineering continues to work on Emulation technology, which is one of the biggest projects we have taken on. It is a
​ Research and Development
​project
to model the exact
​power and speed ​
behavior of the prototype
 to the throttle
​and brake controls. ​
​We hope to include
 multiple levels of dynamic brakes
​ in our Emulation Technology.​
 ​

​We will be releasing steam sets as soon as possible for beta testing with improved sounds and chuff synchrony to drive-wheel position. Because Josh is no longer available, we will not be able to record or develop new sound sets for diesel (such as 12 and 16 cylinder versions) until we can find a replacement sound engineer. We will keep you posted."

Fred Severson
QSI President

And there you have it.  Please address all emails to qsindustries224@...

Kelly

kjlovesya

Thanks Kelly and Fred!

  I look forward to the working dynamic brakes on my 2-8-0.   *GRIN*

Sounds like the ops are going to be closer to full scale ops than any other decoder.   I hope you don't forget to include the 'playable' whistle and horn too.

KJ

Roger Thomas <rogert@...>

We have a challenge here. What do we actually know about an engineer's use of the controls (throttle, brakes, reverse lever, etc.) as he/she works a loco either switching or mainline running? We see what the loco does, but not how the engineer uses controls to do it. What we need is a batch of split screen videos, one side showing the actions of the loco, and the other the engineers actions.

I am also afraid that trying to match full scale operations of a loco/train, having a model very closely simulating the prototype, is likely to be a small subset of modelers, similar to those operators creating detailed TT/TO paperwork for an operating session. Many operators don't even like momentum of any kind. They just want to crank the throttle and go. Myself? I look forward to all these capabilities and the knowledge to use them that allows me to "become" the engineer.

Roger Thomas

On Saturday 02/12/2017 at 8:35 am, kjlovesya@... QSIndustries wrote:

Thanks Kelly and Fred!

  I look forward to the working dynamic brakes on my 2-8-0.   *GRIN*

Sounds like the ops are going to be closer to full scale ops than any other decoder.   I hope you don't forget to include the 'playable' whistle and horn too.

Hi Roger,

  You bring up some good points.   Youtube is replete with cab rides and locomotive operation.   I studied many to make my Diesel Control Stand Throttle look, 'feel' and operate quite realisticly.   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUe_QrTJUipZdaUbjAS5OBQ

  There are also several actual operator manuals online.  I've studied many of these too.   I've communicated with professional locomotive engineers, picking their brains regarding specifics as well.

  As for the operator who just wants to turn a knob and go ...  I think the new QSI firmware will default to the lowest common denominator, just like the current version.  i.e.  Headlights on automatic direction with auto-dim, no momentum, brake doesn't work until momentum CVs are changed.  etc.

  Those who are interested in realism are willing to learn what CVs need change and how to change them.

  One thing I've learned over the years is, ours is a hobby of accumulation.   We accumulate models and, more importantly, knowledge.   As our knowledge grows often our desire for greater accuracy does as well.   I find that many people just need a decent demonstration on a particular feature and they readily adopt the feature in their operations.   e.g. ringing the bell as one approaches a passenger station.   Rule 14 in the Uniform Code of Operating Rules.

KJ