Wireless controllers

Nicholas Geti

Several vendors have come up with wireless microprocessor boards that can receive commands from a handheld controller. Power to run the board and motor comes from a lithium battery rather than through the rails. The board converts the radio signal commands to the same format as if it came through the rails and connects to the decoder.

I bought one of these but command F9 to shutdown and F6 to awake the decoder fails. The Titan decoder stays dead. After a lot of button pushing and power on/off cycles (no particular order) I can finally get it to start.

Can someone suggest how to analyze the digital stream fed to the Titan? I am thinking of getting a PC-based oscilloscope/logic analyzer to look at the bit streams to see if I can detect any errors.

I have a QSI programmer and everything works perfectly so I know the Titan is good. I would need to learn what the format is for a working command string.

Nicholas Geti

Bob Menzies <railscanner@...>

F9 is normally disconnect standby shutdown.... I suspect you pushed nine enough to put it to sleep or shutdown...

On Oct 28, 2017 12:26 AM, "ngeti@... [QSIndustries]" <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed.Sauers

Nicholas,

What wireless system are you using.

Thanks

Ed Sauers

On 10/28/2017 8:31 AM, Bob Menzies railscanner@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

That is exactly true. As I indicated, I shut down with F9. My problem is that I cannot start it up with F6 from the new wireless component. Either the signal from the wireless unit is not formatted correctly or the QSI is not fully compliant with NMRA standards. We tried the wireless unit on other decoders and it works perfectly. So I am stuck until I can prove where the problem lies.

Nick Geti

[...]

The system is from S-Cab. He has a number of boosters of various amperages. After testing for several days we have come to an impasse. I have a lot of money tied up in engines with QSI decoders and I don't want to change now.

Is any engineer on this web site from QSI willing to investigate this problem for me?

Nick Geti

[...]

Can you program function 9 to be nothing on a programmer....it can be done with a QSI programmer in CV Manager

[...]

Geoffb

Hi Nick,
Any of the 3 shutdown states requires a quick double click of F6  to start up.
Too long an interval between F6 clicks (or command packets) will not bring the decoder out of shutdown.. Is it possible there is too long a delay inserted between the F6 commands?
You could try a test by sending a set of F6 commands every time you hit F6 as an experiment, and try changing the delay timing between the command packets.

Have fun!
Best regards,
Geoff Bunza
scalemodelanimation.com

Ed.Sauers

Nicholas,

Which wireless system are you using? Is F6 a NMRA stardard to startup decoders??? Soundtraxx Tsunami2 uses F5 I believe and F6 to shut down so Maybe it the wireless system that is the problem.

Ed Sauers

[...]

I know that Neil does not formally support any sound decoders except for the Soundtraxx products.  Have you been in touch with Neil (s-cab)?

Ed Sauers

[...]

I'll give that a try. The manual did not say to do quick clicks so I have not been doing that.

Nick Geti

Nicholas Geti

Yes. I bought the full system from him when he was working with the QSI a year or two ago. But it wasn't until this past month I have gotten back into building my railroad which is when I discovered the problem. He spent a fair amount of time trying to help me but finally said he gives up on the QSI and won't support it any more. He only works now with Soundtraxx.

Nick Geti

Nicholas Geti

Yes. I figured that is the solution if nothing else works. Also I can wire the battery so it can be manually disconnected when the engines are put away for the night. I don't need a fancy way to shut down from the handheld controller.

Nick Geti

peteski7

Yes,
http://www.pricom.com/Trains/DCCTester.shtml  should fit the bill perfectly. I own one and it can capture DCC packet dumps and give you live view of the DCC communication.  Very handy.  Unfortunately it is no longer manufactured, but you might find it in a 2nd-hand market (like eBay).  If you go to the link above they are recommending a freeware PC DCC analyzer.  Or you can Google for "DCC packet analyzer" or similar search pattern and you might find a match for what you are looking for.

Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <ngeti@...> wrote :

Can someone suggest how to analyze the digital stream fed to the Titan? I am thinking of getting a PC-based oscilloscope/logic analyzer to look at the bit streams to see if I can detect any errors.

Jay Beckham

I went to the link but couldn’t find any information about a Freeware PC DCC tester.

Jay Beckham

Building a large O Scale layout in Berkeley Springs, WV.

Our Yahoo Group: Join: jaysoscalelayout-subscribe@... (The model railroad)

View my Blogs:

http://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

Weight Watchers Rock!  Week #19  Lost To date: 31.2 Pounds   Lost This Week 1.8   Pounds.   Weight Watchers Rock!

http://www.pricom.com/Trains/DCCTester.shtml  should fit the bill perfectly. I own one and it can capture DCC packet dumps and give you live view of the DCC communication.  Very handy.  Unfortunately it is no longer manufactured, but you might find it in a 2nd-hand market (like eBay).  If you go to the link above they are recommending a freeware PC DCC analyzer.  Or you can Google for "DCC packet analyzer" or similar search pattern and you might find a match for what you are looking for.

Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <ngeti@...> wrote :

Can someone suggest how to analyze the digital stream fed to the Titan? I am thinking of getting a PC-based oscilloscope/logic analyzer to look at the bit streams to see if I can detect any errors.

Sorry, I misread the info Jay. I must have been half asleep. I misinterpreted the statement about "Stefan Trachsler's Loconet Checker software". That software needs the DCC Tester to operate.

There can't be any sort of DCC sniffer on a PC without having some sort of interface  which will listen to the DCC packets on the track and make them into info which the PC will understand.

I guess then the only option is to try and find one of those DCC Pocket Tester devices.

Peteski

---In QSIndustries@..., <james@...> wrote :

I went to the link but couldn’t find any information about a Freeware PC DCC tester.

Jay Beckham

Building a large O Scale layout in Berkeley Springs, WV.

Our Yahoo Group: Join: jaysoscalelayout-subscribe@... (The model railroad)

View my Blogs:

http://jaysoscalelayout.blogspot.com/

Nicholas Geti

I Googled the expression, "DCC Packet Analyzer", as you suggested and found the following items:

1. Pricom Pocket Analyzer, http://www.pricom.com/Trains/DCCTester.shtml. There are none available on eBay but I got an answer from them that they will have a new model soon. This web site gives a very complete description of what it does and many examples.

2. OpenDCC http://opendcc.sourceforge.net/ This is a massive Sourceforge project which is developing major applications for model railroading. Projects are based on Arduino which interfaces with a PC.

3. ODCC Sniffer – Packet Analyser with Arduino https://rudysmodelrailway.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/dcc-sniffer-packet-analyser-with-arduino/  This fellow has been working on model railroad apps using the Arduino for many years. Very extensive library of free apps including rr simulations. Beautiful interface on the PC. Only hardware required is the Arduino and and optocoupler to connect to the track or decoder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2eJa6SEmM You must see his videos on rr simulation. Very impressive.

4. Model Rectifier Corporation-Decoder Dr. DCC Decoder Tester See eBay  https://www.modelrectifier.com/searchresults.asp?Search=analyzer&Submit= Handheld controller. Not as elegant as the other units that display stuff on the PC.

5. NCE Manual: https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200979515-Packet-Analyzer-Retired This unit is no longer in production.

6. OpenDCC https://www.opendcc.de/index_e.html  This fellow has implemented his version of this technique. He is a German hobbyist and sells a PCB that contains his sniffer design. He also sells all of the SMD components required. He claims German law does not allow selling assembled PCBs. It requires skill to solder SMDs.

Nicholas Geti