Q Programmer: no communication

christophermcrane

My Quantum Programmer suddenly stopped communicating with the test track I use for programming.

The first indication was not being able to read a decoder using the Q upgrade, same result using the CV manager. I get either 'cannot read mfg.' or a RS232 error.

I've verified the 'track' was enabled and the programmer receives power. I am confused as to which is the correct SiLab driver for my WinXP system: the virtual port or USB, even though it is connected through a USB port. I have been unable to verify whether the driver installed has changed.

I got to the point where I upgraded both the CVM and Q Upgrade to the latest available versions. I also uninstalled the programmer and drivers, and re-installed everything.

The programmer worked fine one day, then not the next. Tried on both an aftermarket QSI decoder and a OEM Q3 decoder.

I have seen comments about a resistor blowing in the programmer. Is there a way to test the hardware?

Benjamin Shell

Are you getting an error? Or does the programmer appear to be working on the computer side, but just doesn't seem to be doing anything? I'm guessing here, but if the resister is blown it'd be the later and the programmer would still be recognized by the computer, it would just be unable to communicate with the track. I've also been told to open up the programmer and see if the resister looks damaged. It's a large surface mount resister that's prominently visible--although I don't have a photo handy.

On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 8:09 AM christophermcrane@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

[...]

Ed Sauers <dockside98@...>

Christopher,

You should be using the the driver that states it's for

SiLabs Drivers for Windows:  2k, XP, Vista 32, 7, 8, 8.1, 10

Ed Sauers

On 11/27/2016 11:09 AM, christophermcrane@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

[...]

Ben, yes an error it cannot read the mfg. Also a RS232 error.
the system sees the programmer and indicates it is working correctly. when querying it acts as though it cannot access the track.

Ed, the link you provided ultimately gives you a choice of two drivers after unzipping: a USB and a virtual USB COM. I let the install choose the driver which it appears to do successfully.

software appears to function OK. I suspect a hardware issue.

Ed Sauers <dockside98@...>

Christopher,

What decoder (mfg/model) are you trying to program?

Thanks

Ed

On 11/27/2016 4:40 PM, christophermcrane@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

Ben, yes an error it cannot read the mfg. Also a RS232 error.
the system sees the programmer and indicates it is working correctly. when querying it acts as though it cannot access the track.

Ed, the link you provided ultimately gives you a choice of two drivers after unzipping: a USB and a virtual USB COM. I let the install choose the driver which it appears to do successfully.

software appears to function OK. I suspect a hardware issue.

christophermcrane

Before the communication interruption, I was testing both an aftermarket 4 amp Magnum and a 10 amp Titan. I was able to use the test cab to play sounds and the CV manager to read out CV values.

I did attempt to change the horn selection on the Titan, but it would not change the setting. I followed the index chart for any items I attempted to read.

Thanks, Chris

Ed Sauers <dockside98@...>

Chris,

I think you need Jerry Pruss or Josh at this point..\

Sorry

Ed

On 11/27/2016 6:58 PM, christophermcrane@... [QSIndustries] wrote:

Before the communication interruption, I was testing both an aftermarket 4 amp Magnum and a 10 amp Titan. I was able to use the test cab to play sounds and the CV manager to read out CV values.

I did attempt to change the horn selection on the Titan, but it would not change the setting. I followed the index chart for any items I attempted to read.

Thanks, Chris

Nick

Chris,

From experience, it sounds like the current limiting resistor is blown. This happens if you are using the programmer to test the decoder and a short occurred on the programming track. I have done this more than once and from your description, this sounds like what happened. The resistor acts like a fuse. In the event of a short, it self-destructs instead of more valuable parts getting destroyed.

Open up the case and look at where the outputs are located. It is located at the top of the circuit board in the center. It will be pretty obvious if it is blown. Mine usually has one side "lifted" or the resistor actually splits in two. It is pretty easy to replace if you can use a low watt soldering iron. If it is beyond your skill level, find a friend that is comfortable doing it.

Jerry can probably tell you the correct part to get. I purchase them in bulk <grin>

Regards,
Nick Kulp

christophermcrane

Nick,

from what I've gleaned from this group, I agree the resistor is suspect. I'll open up the programmer and have a look. Hopefully I'll be able read the values on the resistor.

Thank you.

Bob Menzies <railscanner@...>

It will smell burnt

On Nov 28, 2016 3:01 PM, "christophermcrane@... [QSIndustries]" <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

Nick,

from what I've gleaned from this group, I agree the resistor is suspect. I'll open up the programmer and have a look. Hopefully I'll be able read the values on the resistor.

Thank you.

sverker.runeson@...

Does anyone know the values for this resistor: ohms, watts, size?

I haven't had it crash, yet, but I'd want to have a few replacements handy when it does.

Sverker

Jon Heller

Take photo, it may have markings

Jon Heller

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

Does anyone know the values for this resistor: ohms, watts, size?

I haven't had it crash, yet, but I'd want to have a few replacements handy when it does.

Sverker

Kevin Strong

Having a similar issue with mine. It appears to work with CV Manager on my XP laptop, as I can read and write CVs to it, but when I try to access it via my older version of "Q2 Upgrade" or the latest "Quantum Upgrade," I get the "cannot read..." error. I installed the software on my Win10 laptop, and neither CV Manager nor Quantum Upgrade appear to talk to the decoder. The computer is recognizing the little black box okay, so far as I can tell.

Later,

John Burkhardt

Hi Sverker,

I see you have not got a reply yet?

On the subject of the blown resistor I can remember way back when I had this problem on two units where I replaced a resistor but could no longer find the emails with the info on how to replace what, so I opened mine to have a look - the following info is given without warranty that this is what may cause your problem.

In the middle of the PCB nearer the coloured LED end is a 10 Ohm SMT resistor, considerably larger than any other resistor on this board. I have no experience in sizing this resistor in terms of wattage but would think that it is 1W or larger. If you can’t read the number 100 on said component then it is safe to assume that it is burnt. If you need I can take a pic and send direct.

HTH!

Thanks and regards,

John Burkhardt

South Africa