ATTN: QSI Staff - Update

kjlovesya

Hello all,

   Using the Quantum Programmer and Quantum Update software (written for the neophytes who may be reading) I loaded the following sound file:   1161-567 version 9-3-2.    The original sound file, from the dealer, was version 9-2-5.   The dealer sold old (new) stock.

  The F9 Disconnect/Low idle/Shutdown has been restored.   However, there are still problems accessing the Horn Master.   I'll list a few problems I encountered using CV Manager 3.1.0.7 (the newest version).

1/  "About Decoder" button brings up a pop-up screen in which only the "Close" button does anything.

2/ Sound Tab -> WDH Pitch Tab - neither CV 130 or 131 render anything except rapid clicks - no horns.  (the clicks vary in cadence, depending on how many horn bells are selected)

3/ Features Tab --> Horn Tab -  pull down menu selection now has various horns.  However, selecting any one of them changes nothing.   The Native Horn is all that plays.

4/  Once you fix the above I would like to add a suggestion.    Can you make User Sound Files programmable using CV Manager?    It's over an hour of Quantum Update programming just to add two or three minutes of user files.   Is that really necessary?   Perhaps more people would use the files I posted (in Files - above) if they were easier to load.   Varying Brake and Flange squeals are heard on the real thing.  Why not our models?

KJ

g_pruss

KJ,

>>> 1/  "About Decoder" button brings up a pop-up screen in which only the "Close" button does anything. <<<

I just tried this using QCVM 3.1.0.7 and 1161-567v9_3_2 firmware. The About Decoder Firmware dialog worked correctly, both in Ops Mode and Service Mode.
Are you running in Ops Mode or Service Mode?

>>> 2/ Sound Tab -> WDH Pitch Tab - neither CV 130 or 131 render anything except rapid clicks - no horns.  (the clicks vary
 in cadence, depending on how many horn bells are selected) <<<

Do you have CV55.1.1 Horn Type set to 2 "User-defined Horn"?

What Semitone notes are you selecting?

>>> 3/ Features Tab --> Horn Tab -  pull down menu selection now has various horns.  However, selecting any one of them
 changes nothing.   The Native Horn is all that plays. <<<

I just tried this using 1161-567v9_3_2 firmware.  If Auto Program is On, changing CV55.1.1 Horn Type causes the
selected horn to play a single hoot as positive feedback. Subsequent presses of the Horn button play the selected horn.

>>> 4/  Once you fix the above I would like to add a suggestion.    Can you make User Sound Files programmable using
 CV Manager?    It's over an hour of Quantum Update programming just to add two or three minutes of user files.
 Is that really necessary?   Perhaps more people would use the files I posted (in Files - above) if they were easier
 to load. <<<

This would require reserving a fixed blocks of flash memory for User Sound Files at a known location in memory. The current
implementation uses dynamically allocated blocks of memory allocated at QuantumUpgrade Cut&Paste time. The Cut&Paste operation shows
you how much memory is available so you know whether your User Sound Files will fit or not. This gives you the opportunity
to be a software engineer for a time, requiring you to decide which sounds are most important when you can't fit them
all into the available memory.

Some questions to be resolved:
  (1) How much memory should be reserved for User Sound Files?
      Reserving a fixed amount of memory for User Sound Files means a limitation on the size of User Sound Files.
      For example, 64k is reserved for User Sound Files, but a customer wants to use a 100 kbyte file.
  (2) Does reserving memory for User Sound Files prevent addition or improvement of new featuers, such as Horn Master
      or the Q3 Diesel Motor sounds?
  (3) Does reserving memory for User Sound Files mean other Cut&Paste operations cannot be carried out because not
      enough memory remains for dynamic allocation?

>>>  Varying Brake and Flange squeals are heard on the real thing.  Why not our models? <<<

I will pass this request on to our sound engineers.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

kjlovesya

Hi Gerry,

  Thank you for your reply.

1/  I didn't get to the page, where I had a choice of OPs Mode or Service Mode.  It was at the first page where you choose "New" and select your Quantum Decoder.   Shouldn't the "About" pop up, on the first page, allow you to see or hear the type of decoder you have, so that you may select the correct decoder?

2/  CV 55.1.1 or CV 55.1.2 either one for respective Horn selection.  I tried these with my NCE Powercab using POM however, that may have been using the version 9-2-5.    Using ver 9-3-2 and CV Manager,  I could not alter either the 'main' horn or the alternate horn.   No matter what 'notes' were selected (I didn't alter individual notes - I only tried different horns  e.g. Nathan P3 or a Leslie ... whatever) .   However, I did not notice a CV 55.1.1 in CV Manager.   I'll have to go look again.   Perhaps it is user error.  Where do I find CV55.1.1 and CV55.1.2 in CV Manager?

3/  I didn't manipulate CV55.1.1 in CV Manager so I'll have to get back to you on that.

4/  When the sound file is loaded at the 'factory' why not allocate the left over space as the 'reserved block' for  user sound files (that can be added by CV Manager.)   that way, no matter what options are chosen by the dealer (or 'factory') there is at least some room for a simple sound file or six.   *GRIN*

  If the owner chooses to rewrite the firmware, using Quantum Upgrade, he may do so with the variable parameters you mention above - the remaining memory can automatically be allocated to "user sound file slot".

KJ

g_pruss

KJ,

>>> 1/ ... Shouldn't the "About" pop up, on the first page, allow you to see or hear the type of decoder you have, so that you may
select the correct decoder? <<<

What if you already know the firmware model in your decoder? Do you want to wait 10 seconds or more every time your create
a new document for QCVM to retrieve the firmware information (in Service Mode) from the decoder?

>>> 2/ ... Where do I find CV55.1.1 and CV55.1.2 in CV Manager? <<<

(1) Click on "Edit | FindCV...".
(2) In the Find CV dialog, type in the keyword "cv55.1.1" or type "horn type".
(3) Select "CV55.1.1 Horn Type" from the list.
(4) Click "Goto".

>>> 4/  When the sound file is loaded at the 'factory' why not allocate the left
over space as the 'reserved block' for  user sound files <<<

This might work. It would probably make sense to extend this to placing all the Cut&Paste sounds at the end of
memory. This would allow someone to change the native horn, for example, in addition to User Sounds with a shorter upgrade time.
Let me think about this some more.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

kjlovesya

Hi Gerry,

   I haven't had time to go through CV Manager again but I'll comment on your comments.

1/   The first page of CV Manager, after clicking File --> "New" has a button that reads "About".   If you already know the firmware information, you ignore the "About" button.    In my particular example, a friend had purchased the 'new' QSI Titan decoder and asked me to replace the existing ESU decoder with the Titan.   I had no idea what firmware had been installed - the result being the start of this whole discussion (Steam whistles instead of Horns etc.).

 The answer to your question is, No, I don't want to wait 10 seconds every time I create a new document.  I do  however, expect the "About" button to bring up a pop up with buttons that do more than nothing.   As it stands, I press the "About" button and I get a pop-up window with perhaps 6 buttons - each supposed to 'read' something.   None of the buttons do anything - with the exception of the "Close (the pop - up)" button.  Is my software defective?

2/   In asking where I find CV55.1.1, I meant without a search.   I was looking for something like, click on the Sounds Tab ---> Horn Tab ...     However, thanks for increasing my knowledge about "Edit/Find CV..."

3/  Concerning the User Sound Files:   Can it be programmed that an end user, without a QSI Programmer, install a user sound file using CV Manager only?   I don't know the physics behind the programming, but, if possible, it might be a decoder selling feature.

  Thanks again for your help.

KJ

g_pruss

KJ,

>>> 1/ ...  None of the buttons do anything <<<

If you have selected Operations Mode in the QCVM control bar, the dialog, clicking the Read Out Model Number button
should cause the locomotive to speak out the model number. Likewise clicking the other buttons cause the loco
to speak out the indicated information. Possibly you need to get the locomotive into Ops Mode (making sounds)
before clicking on "File | New...". Another possibility is the decoder's address is not the same as the Decoder Address
selected for QCVM so that the locomotive is not acting on the commands. In that case you need to use service mode
to retrieve the decoder address.

If you have selected Service Mode in the QCVM control bar, clicking the "Retrieve Decoder Infor" button
should either read back the indicated information (including the decoder address) or give you an error message. Do you get an error message?

>>> 3/ ... Can it be programmed that an end user, without a QSI Programmer, install a user sound file using CV Manager only?  <<<

The answer is "No". QuantumCVManager deals only with CV data using standard NMRA comm protocols.
You need QuantumUpgrade and the Quantum Programmer in order to communicate with the bootloader using QSI-unique protocols.
Only the onboard bootloader can erase and re-write flash memory.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

kjlovesya

Hi Gerry,

  The non-working pop-up issue is on the page before I can choose OPs Mode or Service Mode.

  The decoder is 'new' so it's address would likely be set to "Short address 3".  However, this is irrelevant.  I can now do everything after I've chosen the decoder.   I'm just saying the pop-up before choosing the decoder is defective.

KJ