ATTN: QSI staff - Software/Firmware glitch inside

kjlovesya

Hello all,

Like Tim (see CV Manager issue post), I too am having 'fun' with CV Manager.   I've just installed a new Titan U with the 1161 EMD 567 cab unit firmware pre-loaded.

I updated CV manager to ver 3.1.0.7 and Opened a new file (with the appropriate unit selection mentioned above).   I then followed the options menu to allow manipulation of all CVs.

As I'm scrolling through the pages I notice some anomalies.   e.g.  under the Sound Tab, CV 51.3 - The Special Sound Effects Enable offers a coal auger sound and a Lever Reverser, for my E9.   ????

Further in I'm finding all kinds of fun.  e.g. I tried to select a new horn and every choice was some form of steam whistle.    ?????     Oh, and neither of them worked.

A firebox light is shown as an option in the Features tab, for an E9.     I think there was something else too but I think you get the idea.   I'm doing this install for an out of town friend.   I'd like to get it running properly so he doesn't have to make extra trips.   Can you help?

KJ

Bob Menzies <railscanner@...>

Have the same issue KJ... it allows you to cut and paste when doing initial programming but you get the steam menu instead of the diesel menu. I bought some used Titans and they were probably programmed for steam . I wonder if this is a problem in the download process./Bob Menzies.

kjlovesya

Hello all,

I've noticed another anomaly.    Double pressing F9 (in idle) does not put the decoder into "Disconnect".   Instead the decoder goes into "Shut Down".   Comments?

Gerry?  Josh?  Kelly?  Anyone?

KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Bob,

I didn't load the firmware (using Quantum Upgrade).   I am using a new, stock decoder, pre-loaded with the diesel firmware.   I did notice another thing which I'll mention in my original post.

Curiousity:  why did you not reply to my existing post (instead posting a new topic)?

KJ

Working my phone error on my part. Mine were pre-loaded steam by Josh

On Sep 3, 2016 9:32 PM, "kjlovesya@... [QSIndustries]" <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

I didn't load the firmware (using Quantum Upgrade).   I am using a new, stock decoder, pre-loaded with the diesel firmware.   I did notice another thing which I'll mention in my original post.

Curiousity:  why did you not reply to my existing post (instead posting a new topic)?

KJ

kelly dorf

We will investigate this right away.

Thanks

Kelly
QSI

kjlovesya

Thanks Kelly!    I don't know if this makes any difference but I just did a query using CV64.   CV 7 = 9   not CV 7 = 9 point 3 point 2,   just "CV 7 = 9".    Looks like some dealer needs to update his sound files.

I guess I'll just 'roll my own'.

KJ

Bob Waldele

KJ
it looks like Kelly replied "off list"  for those of us that are now somewhat confused at this point, what was his response?  is there a problem with the Titan firmware, the specific file that you loaded, or the CV Manager software?
isn't a V7 a Q1a file?
thanks.
bob.waldele

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2016 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] ATTN: QSI staff - Software/Firmware glitch inside

Thanks Kelly!    I don't know if this makes any difference but I just did a query using CV64.   CV 7 = 9   not CV 7 = 9 point 3 point 2,   just "CV 7 = 9".    Looks like some dealer needs to update his sound files.

I guess I'll just 'roll my own'.

KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Bob,

No, Kelly has not replied to me anywhere except this forum.   I presume that QSI is in fact looking into this issue.

Last evening I loaded the 1161 - 567 ver. 9-3-2 firmware into the decoder.   When I did the first step in the operation I discovered that the locomotive had not been loaded with the current file.  The readout claimed that the 'new' decoder only had ver 9 - 2 - 5.   That would likely be a part of the issue, as I don't believe that ver 9-2-5 was equipped with Horn Master files.

My computer system is dual boot so I have to reboot in order to access the QSI software (Quantum Upgrade and CV Manager).   I have to log off an do some more experimenting.

I just hooked up the NCE Powercab to the test track and discovered that I cannot program the Horn Master file using POM CV55.1.1 .     The horn only stays on the "Native" file I programmed last night.

Is there some other step I've neglected (using POM) to access the Horn Master selection?

I'm going to reboot and do some experimenting with CV Manager.

KJ

g_pruss

KJ,

If you select "Options | Enable Only Supported CV's" you will not have these issues.

If you select "Options | Enable All CV's" all the CV's in QuantumCVManager are enabled, whether or not the decoder's
firmware supports them.

For example, if you Enable All CV's, QCVM shows CV51.3 enabled, even though the E9 firmware does not support this CV.

I try to keep QCVM updated with the latest CV defaults for the CV's supported by the most recent production firmware for each model.
The "Enable All CV's" option is provided only for those (hopefully) rare occasions where the most recent production
firmware for a particular model has a new CV or two added since the last QCVM release.

So, in general, do not Enable All CV's. If you do, beware that the firmware may not support some of these CV's.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

g_pruss

KJ,

The order for feature 145 is Disconnect -> Standby -> Shutdown.

If the decoder is in neutral (NFF/NFR) double pressing F9 puts the decoder in Disconnect.

If the decoder is in Standby, double pressing F9 puts the decoder in Shutdown.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

g_pruss

KJ,

A query of CV7 yields just the major version number. (CV7 is a standard NMRA CV of just one byte.)

Writing "1" to CV56.255 Play Build Information causes the decoder to speak out <major version> . <minor version> . <build number>.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

kjlovesya

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for your replies.   I don't have CV Manager running at this moment (as explained in another email - my system is dual boot).  

In an earlier post (by Tim - CV Manager Issues) Bob instructed us that in order to manipulate the Horn Master files, one needed to click "Options" and  "Enable ALL CVs ".   I wanted to manipulate Horn Master so I enabled all CVs.

Can one enable Horn Master without enabling all CVs?

Either way, the version 9-2-5 was not the current version (9-3-2) so Horn Master was a Horn Bastard.

I am familiar with feature 145 (even if I didn't use the correct nomenclature).   My point, now rectified was that the ver9-2-5 firmware in this particular model did not allow  Disconnect or Standby.  Double pressing F9 went straight to Shutdown.   That's why I mentioned it here in the forum.

Thanks anyway.

KJ

kjlovesya

Thanks Gerry!    Now can we answer the "ATTN: QSI - Update" post?

KJ

g_pruss

KJ,

>>> Can one enable Horn Master without enabling all CVs? <<<

Enabling the Horn Master CV's in QCVM does enable the CV's in the decoder and does not mean that the decoder's firmware supports these CV's.
The Horn Master CV's are automatically enabled in the decoder's firmware if and only if the firmware supports the Horn Master CV's.

>> I am familiar with feature 145 (even if I didn't use the correct nomenclature).   My point, now rectified was that the ver9-2-5 firmware in this particular model did not
allow  Disconnect or Standby.  Double pressing F9 went straight to Shutdown. <<<

Your firmware had CV53.11.1 set to 143 "Shutdown" instead of 145 "Disconnect/Standby/Shutdown".

Gerry Pruss
QSI

Thanks for that Gerry explains some things I'm experiencing here./Bob Menzies

On Sep 5, 2016 3:13 PM, "g_pruss@... [QSIndustries]" <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

KJ,

If you select "Options | Enable Only Supported CV's" you will not have these issues.

If you select "Options | Enable All CV's" all the CV's in QuantumCVManager are enabled, whether or not the decoder's
firmware supports them.

For example, if you Enable All CV's, QCVM shows CV51.3 enabled, even though the E9 firmware does not support this CV.

I try to keep QCVM updated with the latest CV defaults for the CV's supported by the most recent production firmware for each model.
The "Enable All CV's" option is provided only for those (hopefully) rare occasions where the most recent production
firmware for a particular model has a new CV or two added since the last QCVM release.

So, in general, do not Enable All CV's. If you do, beware that the firmware may not support some of these CV's.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

kjlovesya

Hi Gerry,

Perhaps I'm not so familiar with Feature 145 after all.   I thought you were referring to a Feature map number.

Since this is a new decoder:

1/  What would cause the CV 53.1.1 = 143 (shutdown) instead of 145 (Disconnect/Standby/Shutdown)?    I certainly did not program CV 53.1.1.    Is that some kind of Function button 9 default?

2/  Does double pressing Function button 9 (at idle) actually Program On the Main - Changing CV 53.1.1 = 145 to CV53.1.1 = 143 ?

KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Gerry,

Add this to the above questions.

Looking back, I think a little clarification in activating Horn Master is needed.  

1/  The firmware must be version 9-3-2 (in one of the Diesel loco sound sets)

2/  Enable "Only Supported CVs"

3/   _ _ _ _ _ _ _   ?

What else is needed in order to enable Horn Master?

Is there a steam version of Horn Master?   If so, what is required to enable it?

Thanks again for your help.

KJ

g_pruss

KJ,

>>> Perhaps I'm not so familiar with Feature 145 after all.   I thought you were referring to a Feature map number. <<<

The feature ID is the number you program to CV53.PI.SI in order to assign a feature to a function key.
For example, the feature ID for bell = 3. If you program 3 to CV53.9.1, then pressing F7 in NFF/NFR turns the bell on/off.

>>> 1/  What would cause the CV 53.1.1 = 143 (shutdown) instead of 145 (Disconnect/Standby/Shutdown)?    I certainly did
not program CV 53.1.1.    Is that some kind of Function button 9 default? <<<

Most firmware models have default CV53.11.1 = 145. On a few models, QSI Solutions requested the default CV53.11.1 = 143.

>>> 2/  Does double pressing Function button 9 (at idle) actually Program On the Main - Changing CV 53.1.1 = 145 to CV53.1.1 = 143 ? <<<

No. Double pressing F9 does not change any CV. Nearly all of the features assigned to function keys do not change any CV.
The exceptions include
Feature 63 System Volume Decrease (usually assigned by default to CV53.15.0 and CV53.15.1)
Feature 62 System Volume Increase (usually assigned by default to CV53.16.0 and CV53.16.1)
so that pressing F13 decreases the value of CV51.0 System Volume and pressing F14 increases the value of CV51.0.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

g_pruss

KJ,

There is nothing you can do to enable Horn Master. The firmware as built either supports Horn Master or it does not. All of the Q3 diesel firmware starting with version 9.3.0 support Horn Master.

For firmware that is built to support horn master, you select a horn master horn (which "activates" horn master) using CV55.1.1 Horn Type. All of the types from 10 on are pre-defined horn master horns. If you select type 2 User-defined Horn, you can use CV130 CV's to choose the number of chimes and specify the pitch of each chime.

>>> Is there a steam version of Horn Master?  <<<

A whistle version of horn master is still under development. Don't expect this soon. Whistle sounds are much more complex than horn sounds.

Gerry Pruss
QSI