Tech question for QSI re: OEM decoders

kjlovesya

One of the guys at the club brought in a bunch of Atlas sound equipped Dash 8s, Dash9s and even an ES44AC.  They are fairly new models.  I tested the decoders and found they were QSI.  

I queried (Program On Main CV64 = 7) one of the Dash 8 locos and found CV 7 to be version 7.   

Can these locomotive be upgraded to version 9 firmware?

Are these locomotive decoders equipped with User Sound Record slots?

How many unused light ports do these have available?  (for Ditch lights, markers, etc.)

Gerry?   Josh?   Anyone?

KJ

litespan46

They are old technology . V7 chips can be upgraded if there are new sounds or firmware . But I doubt QSI has done anything with these chips in a few years. The other ones if they have v6 chips in them you can buy the v7 from litchfield station online 

Gene Gleason 

On Dec 5, 2015, at 6:19 PM, kjlovesya@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

One of the guys at the club brought in a bunch of Atlas sound equipped Dash 8s, Dash9s and even an ES44AC.  They are fairly new models.  I tested the decoders and found they were QSI.  

I queried (Program On Main CV64 = 7) one of the Dash 8 locos and found CV 7 to be version 7.   

Can these locomotive be upgraded to version 9 firmware?

Are these locomotive decoders equipped with User Sound Record slots?

How many unused light ports do these have available?  (for Ditch lights, markers, etc.)

Gerry?   Josh?   Anyone?

KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Gene,

Do you know if QSI loaded any Titan OEM decoders with Version 7 firmware?   In other words, could these be Titan decoders that I can upgrade with ver 9 firmware?

KJ

Bob Waldele

KJ
the OEM QSI "Quantum" decoders are most likely the Q1a. there are V7 files that can be loaded, but you can't load Titan (V9) files.
if you are using CV manager, it can read out the specifric V7 file that is installed in the decoder.

i believe that there was a late production fun of Atlas units that did use an OEM variant of the Titan (i think it was referred to as a Titan-SD), but it was not a full-featured Titan decoder (ie., not stereo, no onboard sound library) and used V8? firmware (definitely NOT V9, and NOT stereo)

Q1a decoders have much smaller memory, but you may be able to cut-and-paste user sounds using the Q1a Upgrade program - i haven't done it, but there is probably someone out there that can walk you through the process

good luck
bob.waldele

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2015 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Tech question for QSI re: OEM decoders

Hi Gene,

Do you know if QSI loaded any Titan OEM decoders with Version 7 firmware?   In other words, could these be Titan decoders that I can upgrade with ver 9 firmware?

KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info.   I was wondering if maybe these decoders are the ones you speak of (Titan-SD).   I understand that one could load ver 9 firmware into them.    Question is: without lifting the shell or setting up the computer on the club layout, can you tell by POM query if these decoders are a variant of the Titan?

KJ

litespan46

I can't answer that. I stopped getting QSI decoders when all the manufacturers switched to loksound and tsunami . I upgraded s v7 chip last year for my PRR that lost its mine. 

Gene Gleason 

On Dec 5, 2015, at 11:18 PM, 'bob waldele' rwaldele@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

KJ
the OEM QSI "Quantum" decoders are most likely the Q1a. there are V7 files that can be loaded, but you can't load Titan (V9) files.
if you are using CV manager, it can read out the specifric V7 file that is installed in the decoder.

i believe that there was a late production fun of Atlas units that did use an OEM variant of the Titan (i think it was referred to as a Titan-SD), but it was not a full-featured Titan decoder (ie., not stereo, no onboard sound library) and used V8? firmware (definitely NOT V9, and NOT stereo)

Q1a decoders have much smaller memory, but you may be able to cut-and-paste user sounds using the Q1a Upgrade program - i haven't done it, but there is probably someone out there that can walk you through the process

good luck
bob.waldele

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2015 8:42 PM
Subject: Re: [QSIndustries] Tech question for QSI re: OEM decoders

Hi Gene,

KJ

Nick

KJ,

A little history lesson. When BLI introduced the NYC Hudson so many years ago, a certain profiteer, Mike's Train House, claimed HE created the firmware for sound decoders. It was a clear FRAUDULENT attempt to lie his way into a chunk of money he never earned. Because of his FALSE accusations, BLI and other sound decoder manufacturers had to "cripple" certain features in the decoders until the legal case was settled. Fortunately, the judge hearing the case saw the truth and tossed the case out in favor of the TRUE creators of those features. After the litigation, BLI introduced the Version 7 upgrade chip to enable those features. QSI came out with their programmer to provide a way for modelers to change sound files and access those features. Unfortunately, MTH is still in business but we are not suffering because of it. His proprietary firmware and non-compliance to NMRA standards put his toy trains in their own realm where accessing advanced features can only be done with his hardware.

The Q7 was pre-revolution. The Revolution introduced new firmware AND new stereo sounds but was Pre-Titan. The QSI programmer can load any compatible  sound files using the correct software, Q1a or Q2a.. Q7 files are not compatible to Revolution or Titan. The software for Q1a (Version ?-7) will program the Version 7 decoders (OEM decoders with the upgrade chip) and load the sound files. Q2a software loads Revolution and Titan files. When using the programmer, ALWAYS check compatibility before downloading new files to the decoder.

Q3 firmware and sound files can only be used in the Titan.

Hope this helps,
Nick Kulp

g_pruss

KJ,

>>> Can these locomotive be upgraded to version 9 firmware? <<<

Version 7 firmware will not run on Q3 (FX, Titan) decoders. Version 8 and version 9 firmware runs on Q3 decoders, but will not run on Q2 (Quantum Revolution, Large Scale) or Q1 decoders.

You can determine what kind of decoder you have by running QuantumUpgrade and clicking on "Retrieve Locomotive Information..." in the Locomotive Information page. The decoder type will be shown to the right of "Hardware:". To see if a q2 or q3 file is compatible with that type of decoder, go to the Check Compatibility page.

>>> Are these locomotive decoders equipped with User Sound Record slots? <<<

Q2 firmware version 7 firmware supports User Sound Effect but does not support User Sound Effect2.

>>> How many unused light ports do these have available?  (for Ditch lights, markers, etc.) <<<

You can determine the number of light ports available on a decoder and which lights are assigned to which ports by loading a q2 file into QuantumUpgrade and clicking on "Configure Light Ports..." in the Cut&Paste Sounds page.

Gerry Pruss
QSI

litespan46

Very well explained 

Gene Gleason 

On Dec 7, 2015, at 12:53 PM, cornwall9@... [QSIndustries] <QSIndustries@...> wrote:

KJ,

A little history lesson. When BLI introduced the NYC Hudson so many years ago, a certain profiteer, Mike's Train House, claimed HE created the firmware for sound decoders. It was a clear FRAUDULENT attempt to lie his way into a chunk of money he never earned. Because of his FALSE accusations, BLI and other sound decoder manufacturers had to "cripple" certain features in the decoders until the legal case was settled. Fortunately, the judge hearing the case saw the truth and tossed the case out in favor of the TRUE creators of those features. After the litigation, BLI introduced the Version 7 upgrade chip to enable those features. QSI came out with their programmer to provide a way for modelers to change sound files and access those features. Unfortunately, MTH is still in business but we are not suffering because of it. His proprietary firmware and non-compliance to NMRA standards put his toy trains in their own realm where accessing advanced features can only be done with his hardware.

The Q7 was pre-revolution. The Revolution introduced new firmware AND new stereo sounds but was Pre-Titan. The QSI programmer can load any compatible  sound files using the correct software, Q1a or Q2a.. Q7 files are not compatible to Revolution or Titan. The software for Q1a (Version ?-7) will program the Version 7 decoders (OEM decoders with the upgrade chip) and load the sound files. Q2a software loads Revolution and Titan files. When using the programmer, ALWAYS check compatibility before downloading new files to the decoder.

Q3 firmware and sound files can only be used in the Titan.

Hope this helps,
Nick Kulp

kjlovesya

Thank you all,

Question:
Isn't Atlas currently installing some GE units with Titan-SD ver. 9 firmware?
  Which locomotives?

Nick, I am boycotting MTH because of the owner's greed and lack of ethics and have been since I found out about the lawsuit.   Thanks for the details of the history.

A slight correction though:  Both the Revolution (mono output not stereo) and Q1A are compatible with ver 7 firmware.

I was just hoping beyond hope that these locomotives were ver 9 friendly. 

KJ

Lou

KJ, Try loading one of the sound files in to the decoder. See what the programmer says about compatibility. Just a thought.

Lou

Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2015 8:36 AM
To: QSIndustries@...
Subject: [QSIndustries] Re: Tech question for QSI re: OEM decoders

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info.   I was wondering if maybe these decoders are the ones you speak of (Titan-SD).   I understand that one could load ver 9 firmware into them.    Question is: without lifting the shell or setting up the computer on the club layout, can you tell by POM query if these decoders are a variant of the Titan?

KJ

kjlovesya

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, the owner of the locos has taken them off the layout.   I didn't have my gear set up at the club anyway, so I couldn't do anything more than a POM query.   Since I did get CV 7 equals 7 I have to conclude that the decoder is likely a Q1A and I cannot upgrade to ver 9.

Thanks to all for sharing your information.

KJ