New member/P2k GP9

Thomas Hollenstein

Hi all

I'm new here and would like to come up with the following question:
I've two GP9s where I chopped the noses. On the older P2k it was
possible to remove the upper part of the metal-weight which was hold
by a screw.
Now I'd like to put the shells of my low-nose GPs on the new drive
with the QSI-decoder. Is it still possible to remove the upper part
of the "nose-weight"?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom, Switzerland

Richard Dilley <rdilley@...>

I doubt it very much. If you go to the groups home page and click on photos
you will find several shots of the LL P2K GP9 with the shell removed. These
should answer your questions. The direct link to one of the pictures is
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/qsindustries/vwp?.dir=/QSI+in+Proto+2000+GP7+GP9&.src=gr&.dnm=S_PICT0049.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/qsindustries/lst%3f%26.dir=/QSI%2bin%2bProto%2b2000%2bGP7%2bGP9%26.src=gr%26.view=t

If the link gets truncated or does not work go to the group web site and
look under photo's as I mentioned and you should find the shots I took

Richard Dilley

At 03:20 AM 12/22/2004, you wrote:

Hi all

I'm new here and would like to come up with the following question:
I've two GP9s where I chopped the noses. On the older P2k it was
possible to remove the upper part of the metal-weight which was hold
by a screw.
Now I'd like to put the shells of my low-nose GPs on the new drive
with the QSI-decoder. Is it still possible to remove the upper part
of the "nose-weight"?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom, Switzerland
Richard Dilley, Oakville, Ontario (rdilley@sympatico.ca)
Membership Chairman, TH&B Railway Historical Society (registrar@thbrailway.com)
Check out our web site at www.thbrailway.com/

Member CN, CP and ONR SIG Groups, NFR/NMRA, CRHA and Burlington Model
Railroad Club.
COGRA and the Canadian Association of Railway Modellers (CARM)

denlippert <denlippert@...>

--- "Thomas Hollenstein" <thomas.hollenstein@h...> wrote:
I'm new here and would like to come up with the following question:
I've two GP9s where I chopped the noses. On the older P2k it was
possible to remove the upper part of the metal-weight which was
hold by a screw.
Now I'd like to put the shells of my low-nose GPs on the new drive
with the QSI-decoder. Is it still possible to remove the upper part
of the "nose-weight"?

As the photo in the other person's response shows... the entire low-
nose area of the QSI-equipped geep is filled with metal weight.

It shouldn't take a lot of effort to remove some of it with a hacksaw
after removing the weight from the loco. (It will probably take a
lot more effort to DO THAT, than to saw the weight!). It looks like
the electronics are confined to the other end of the unit.

You'd also have to rearrange the headlight arrangement.
Den

Thomas Hollenstein

Thanks for the response. I've already seen the photos but wasn't
sure, if there was a small parting line in the metal or not.
I guess that'll be a case for a good saw. The lights aren't a problem.

Tom