B&O Light 2-8-2 Modification

Kert Peterson <kertp@...>

On 12/20/2004, Dave Beidle wrote (in response to Dennis Lippert):

Hmmmm....

I thought the 2-8-2 preceeded the "A"? My CB&Q O-4 2-8-2s have the "slow
turn-on" headlight too. I could be wrong about the sequence of
manufacture.....

Yes, you are wrong...

Cheers,
Kert Peterson
Fircrest, WA

Bon Vivant, Raconteur and Occasional Microferroequinologist

David Beidle <gmnodave@...>

denlippert wrote:

The N&W A was publicized as having a Golden Glow LED... and was also
the first BLI with the "slow turn-on" headlight...
Hmmmm....

I thought the 2-8-2 preceeded the "A"? My CB&Q O-4 2-8-2s have the "slow turn-on" headlight too. I could be wrong about the sequence of manufacture.....

Dave

denlippert <denlippert@...>

--- Val Pistilli <vpistilli@c...> wrote:
My M1a's and USRA heavy Mikado also have a lamp. This is the only
way they can slowly turn on.
The N&W A was publicized as having a Golden Glow LED... and was also
the first BLI with the "slow turn-on" headlight...

Anyhow, I just had the pleasure (not!) of replacing the bulb in a
BLI K4 with an LED. Not for the feint of heart! One of the bulb's
wires had been broken (apparently during assembly), and was
flickering randomly. Rather than deal with warranty shipping
fiascos, we just decided to dig in and replace it.

Den

pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...>

Hi Den--My BLI M1b's have bulbs in the headlights.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--- In QSIndustries@..., "denlippert" <denlippert@c...>
wrote:

--- In QSIndustries@..., "STEPHEN HOXIE"
<stevehprr@e...>
wrote:

In stock form the headlight is lit by an LED in the smokebox. I
want to light the headlight in its new position with a bulb. I
know that some BLI engines do use a bulb in the headlight. Can
someone answer these two questions:
BLI's are all LEDs, I'm almost 100% sure. I doubt that there are
any convenient light bulbs that draw as little power as an LED,
and even if they did, their "safe" voltage probably wouldn't match.

I'd find a way to fit the LED to the new headlight casting.

Den

Val Pistilli <vpistilli@...>

My M1a's and USRA heavy Mikado also have a lamp. This is the only way they can slowly turn on. Also the PRR J1. The rear lamp in the tender has a five volt source and space for a series resistor. If they use the same circuit for the headlight, then there is a five volt source there too. Therefore, they must be using a three volt or 1.5 volt lamp for the headlight. Makes sense since they don't get as hot as a 12 volt lamp.

Val Pistilli
www.gatsme.org
www.ij2006.org
www.phillynmra.org

On Dec 14, 2004, at 11:27 AM, <aledenio@...> wrote:

The new BLI K4s have a lamp for the headlight rather than a LED.

Al Denio
Asheville, NC ExPA
In stock form the headlight is lit by an LED in the smokebox. I
want to light the headlight in its new position with a bulb. I
know that some BLI engines do use a bulb in the headlight. Can
someone answer these two questions:
BLI's are all LEDs, I'm almost 100% sure. I doubt that there are
any convenient light bulbs that draw as little power as an LED,
and even if they did, their "safe" voltage probably wouldn't match.

I'd find a way to fit the LED to the new headlight casting.

Den

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links

a_denio

wrote:

In stock form the headlight is lit by an LED in the smokebox. I
want to light the headlight in its new position with a bulb. I
know that some BLI engines do use a bulb in the headlight. Can
someone answer these two questions:
BLI's are all LEDs, I'm almost 100% sure. I doubt that there are
any convenient light bulbs that draw as little power as an LED,
and even if they did, their "safe" voltage probably wouldn't match.

I'd find a way to fit the LED to the new headlight casting.

Den

Godfrey Hall <lcpgh@...>

STEPHEN HOXIE wrote:

I want to move the center mounted headlight on this engine from the center to the B&O's later high position. In stock form the headlight is lit by an LED in the smokebox.

Stephen -
Can you not use a Fibre optic or lucite rod to feed the light from the LED? Has this not been done in many locos in the past?
- godfrey hall

hans klemme <hklemme@...>

Hi Steve,
I have just done a light Mikado, give you email and i will send you the description and Pictures.

Hans Klemme,
Melbourne Australia