Re: beating up a the dead(?) horse: CV21/CV22 (and EasyDCC)

Payne,Brett <brett.payne@...>

Jens,
Your EasyDCC system is in fact working how it is supposed to (and how the NMRA standard is defined).

There are really three types of consisting.

The most basic one is to assign the decoders in all locomotives you want to consist to the same address. If they all have sound they will all do the same thing at the same time (lights, horn, dynamics, you name it...).

The next two types of consisting are called standard and advanced.

Standard consisting on EasyDCC places the consist configuration into a table in the command station. It uses the four digit lead locomotive address as the consist address by default and it "remembers" who the other locos in the consist are. The command station on receiving speed instructions for the lead locomotive also translates the speed instruction to the addresses of the other locomotives in the consist. According to the manual only the speed function is shared. The other functions (lights, sound, etc) only go to the lead locomotive. This form on consisting does not alter the decoder programming in any way.

Advanced consisting on EasyDCC writes the consist information to BOTH a table in the command station AND to the decoders. The advanced consist numbering is two digit and is therefore independent of the locomotive number. The decoders are reprogrammed to be at the same "secondary" or consist address. Using CV21/22 etc you can configure how each locomotive performs when a given function is sent to the consist. For example you can get the lights to behave properly and with sound you can have the dynamic breaks start of all locos at the same time, or you can prevent a certain sound or light effect from happening.

With an advanced consist set up at the decoder you can take your train set to another layout and theoretically you will be able to use it as a consist in exactly the same way.

However as I said on EasyDCC the advanced consist is written to BOTH a command station table and to the respective decoders. If the EasyDCC system loses the data from it's command station table it will not work! You will need to "restore" the consist. To do this you simply recreate the consist on the command station. I presume this will also be the case if you take you advance consist to someone else's EasyDCC system.

Note that if your memory back up battery is flat - you may lose consist data when you witch your system off.

I hope this clarifies it for everyone.

Brett Payne

Message: 22
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:16:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Jens Wulf <jens.wulf@worldrailfans.org>
Subject: beating up a the dead(?) horse: CV21/CV22 (and EasyDCC)

sorry, to get back to this (all quiet here on this), so I make it short: I tried advanced consisting with my EasyDCC via
- method a) the station organizing the adv. consist and
- method b) the direct CV19 programming on the main
with following decoders:
- a pair of NCE DA-SR (version 3 EFX series decoder)
- a pair of DigiTrax DH163IP (FX3 series decoder)
- and a single TCS TH150DP decoder
(all these have CV21 and CV22)
and the result is: identical behavior and the same as with the QSI/BLI GG1 decoders:
method a) only the lead loco reacts to function changes, ignoring
all CV21/CV22 settings
method b) all loco's in the (advanced) consist react to function
changes according to CV21/CV22 settings