Re: Unwanted reset

Pat Quinn <quinn1947@...>

John (and others),

About warranties: please understand that you did not purchase your
sound system from QSIndustries; you bought it from one of the engine
manufacturers. QSI does not carry the warranty on that sound system,
your engine manufacturer does. It is inappropriate for QSI to
suggest that an owner of an engine "do" anything to another
company's product that might cause that manufacturer to void the
warranty they support on that product.

Of course, QSI is involved with the manufacturers to try to produce
a product that will be reliable. QSI wants to produce a unit that
will have zero problems to manufacturers and end users. To that end,
we improve the products we sell over time whenever something is seen
that needs changing. But, that can't include giving advice to modify
existing products. If someone finds something that works for them
and wishes to share that experience then that is fine. QSI may be
able to comment on what would happen – but, we can't recommend
you "do" anything. Maybe this sounds "defensive" or "legalistic" –
quite simply it is respectful.

Now, about the reed switch: it is normally open and is closed to
invoke a "reset-at-powerup."

Specifically – about unwanted resets:

Please believe me that I am listening and QSI cares about this
reported behavior. What you may not know is that QSI has tortured
DCC engines in unimaginable and unholy ways trying to reproduce this
reported behavior. We have never seen it. We have run DCC engines
for a long while in a huge variety of ways and have not seen it. Of
course, we believe you when you say it is occurring. But, we
can't "fix" what we can't observe. So, to this end I ask those of
you who find this has happened to please document what is involved
in the experience. Here are some of the things that occur to me as
relevant:
Which engine(s) – exactly – mfg, type, road name – when you bought
it?
Which software – get the verbal feedback on software version?
Which power pack?
What kind of track or turn-out was involved?
Were you multiple heading?
Were you pressing any particular sequence of commands?
Had a derailment just occurred?
Were sparks flying?
Was the throttle close to minimum or maximum?
What were you doing – what occurred when it lost its mind?
Anything else that might help QSI reproduce this experience.

As I can collect data on this, we may be able to change something to
make this less likely to occur. How many people experience this –
and how often? I will write a poll question to try to get some data
on that.
Thanks for your help!

-Pat
QSI

--- In QSIndustries@yahoogroups.com, "John Burkhardt" <burkhj@i...>
wrote:
Hi Barry,

I understand where you pointing to and yes that is well within my
capabilities too.

But off course I was/am rather fishing for comments from other
list members
to the effect that the amputated the offending component, just
like the
capacitors on a Spectrum steamer, or better still a statement from
the
source to say that one can do so without voiding the warranty (or
otherwise). Pat - are you still on the list??

Thanks and regards,

John Burkhardt
South Africa
where the sun always shines,