Engine runs away when first powering up

Nicholas Geti

I have converted a locomotive to battery power with Airwire radio control. I have added a switch to the setup so that I can disconnect power from the battery to the Titan-U decoder. When I flip the switch and power up the decoder, the engine starts moving and rapidly picks up speed. To avoid this I have to first power up my control hand set and set it to the locomotive number then power up the locomotive.

Shouldn't the Titan decoder hold the last settings that were live at the time it is powered off? Is there a way to avoid losing these settings when shutting down?

Nicholas