"Walmart Parking Lots on The Air" - WOTA

ve3ega

I just read a thread on here regarding a potential "Lakes On The Air" and why not - I actually live steps from a Lake and could activate regularly!

That said I also live about a mile from a Walmart - 10 minutes by bicycle!

As I see it THIS has more advantages (especially for 'mature' operators) there are "washrooms", food, medical supplies and some even have a McDonalds - and What a Promo for Ham-Radio!

And the beauty of this is a lot the pre-work has already been done - every Walmart has a store number!!!

Imagine saying to the XYL - just off to Walmart (need anything?) and returning an hour or so later with 10 Activation's and a carton of milk!

Activations could be on VHF/UHF and HF and YEAR ROUND - operating from that quiet corner of the parking lot - you know, where the RV's Park!

Probably follow a similar set of guidelines to POTA? (or become an 'honorable non-employee of the Month' and have your pic in the lobby!)

73

Terry

N5VMO Pat

YES ! ! ! !     "Walmart store @ XXXX On the Air: while wait for the XYL getting a box of milk or waiting for the script to be filled at the drive up pod /-)

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

Andy

A WOTA scheme already exists. You'll need another name.

_._,_._,_

Jim Strohm

WMOTA?

Be careful -- we don't want our fellow hams getting confused with
"People of WalMart".

On the other hand, WalMart used to allow, or at least tolerate people
parking overnight in their parking lot. So WMOTA might work.

73
Jim N6OTQ

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 1:13 AM Andy <mm0fmf@...> wrote:

A WOTA scheme already exists. You'll need another name.

Jim Manley

If you mean Wetlands On The Air, the only website that Google links to is a royal mess under the domain name
epc-mc.eu, with a mish-mash of European languages on the home page, only sporadic parts of which are in English (Kings or otherwise), with no language-displayed selection menu provided.

There’s no copyright, trademark, or domain name protection claimed for Wetlands On The Air, so it’s open season on that variations on that acronym (a connection to ducks hunted in wetlands, perhaps?). WOTA.org is registered to the Washington Occupational Therapy Association.  wota.net is registered to the Wisconsin Occupational Therapy Association, and wota.com is registered to DomainsByProxy.com LLC, a domain name squatter-for-profit.

Thesauri didn’t come up with anything useful in place of waterways.  I suppose LOTA could stand for Liquids On The Air, instead of referring to Lakes, but I fear that would quickly devolve into Liquor On The Air, and nothing good could come from that!

Jim  KJ7JHE

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 12:13 AM Andy <mm0fmf@...> wrote:
A WOTA scheme already exists. You'll need another name.

Jim Manley

About a third of Walmarts no longer allow parking of RVs overnight, mostly because municipalities they’re within have banned it anywhere within their jurisdictions.  Some stores’ policies are left up to their managers.  Some of those have very limited parking spaces designated by explicit signage, usually at the extreme perimeter of their parking lots.

One store had an RV driver move his unit from outer parking in the lot, to next to vehicles near a building entrance, after stowing a still-hot grill inside a storage bin under the RV.  The RV caught fire while the driver was in the store and immolated itself, another RV next to it (where children died), along with other adjacent vehicles.

Jim  KJ7JHE

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 12:20 AM Jim Strohm <jim.strohm@...> wrote:
WMOTA?

Be careful -- we don't want our fellow hams getting confused with
"People of WalMart".

On the other hand, WalMart used to allow, or at least tolerate people
parking overnight in their parking lot.  So WMOTA might work.

73
Jim N6OTQ

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 1:13 AM Andy <mm0fmf@...> wrote:

> A WOTA scheme already exists. You'll need another name.

David Wilcox K8WPE

And I thought Geocachers were nutz!  My brother in law wouldn’t go to the store for milk unless he took a way that included a geocach….. ha! It has kept him and my sister in better health as they aged. I am more of a couch potato unless the lawn needs mowing.

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Dec 1, 2022, at 12:36 AM, N5VMO Pat <n5vmo00@...> wrote:

[...]

G8DQX list

Jim,

Andy probably meant Wainwrights on the Air, found at https://www.wota.org.uk/. They are hills, in or near Cumbria, and very much associated, in my mind at least, with stout walking kit and English country pubs. (And ideal territory for QRP kit.)

Meanwhile, the Wetlands on the air page at https://eupsk.club/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=94:wota-wetlands-on-the-air-award-serie&catid=13&Itemid=130 is strictly in English on my browser, though it takes a jolly long time to load. Must have been swallowed by a pike!

73, Stay Safe,

Robin, G8DQX

On 01/12/2022 07:55, Jim Manley wrote:

[...]

Bryan Curl

You could have the WAW (worked all walmarts) award and earn  bonus points for super centers and grocery only locations.
--
regards,
Bryan, N0LUF

David Fine

And lets not forget Target parking lots, TOTA.  We need an ?OTA for every letter of the alphabet and a big prize, an autographed 8X10 certificate signed by the CEOs of all of the companies that we have in effect sponsored by bringing hams to their businesses.  Yes, this is tongue in cheek.  I think the OTA thing has gone off the rails. W0DF

On Thu, Dec 1, 2022 at 12:52 PM, David Fine wrote:
TOTA
Reserved in Britain for Tesco's On The Air.

--
- 73 de Andy -

Bob Benedict, KD8CGH

Best idea yet - QOTA
Worked my QTH.
I'll post on the web when I activate and sit back and enjoy the pile up of eager hunters anxious for the prestigious Worked All QTH award.
    KD8CGH

Bob V

"Public toilets on the air"

Bob
WA2I

jjpurdum

Agreed. BTW, my call when I lived in Omaha was W0ODF!

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 07:53:05 AM EST, David Fine <dfine100@...> wrote:

And lets not forget Target parking lots, TOTA.  We need an ?OTA for every letter of the alphabet and a big prize, an autographed 8X10 certificate signed by the CEOs of all of the companies that we have in effect sponsored by bringing hams to their businesses.  Yes, this is tongue in cheek.  I think the OTA thing has gone off the rails. W0DF

William Smith

Ducks, DX, yes, I see what you did there.  8*)

73, Willie N1JBJ

On Dec 1, 2022, at 2:55 AM, Jim Manley <jim.manley.mscs@...> wrote:

ducks

Neil Cherry

On 12/1/22 08:21, Bob V wrote:
"Public toilets on the air"
Yikes, if the antenna ionizes it could end badly!

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry kd2zrq@...
http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site

Keith "Al" AG5GW

Next we'll have ROTA......recliners on the air.  When does it end??   hahahah

jjpurdum

I think LOTA a good idea for several reasons:

1. It's a new area of interest that might attract new hams
2. It gets us out of the house (XYL's probably love it)
3. It is another way to practice emergency preparedness
4. It can expose ham radio to the public (put up small cardboard sign that says "Ham Radio in Action!)
5. It may be more "available" to some hams that SOTA, IOTA, or POTA.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, December 1, 2022 at 10:31:47 AM EST, Keith "Al" AG5GW <islandpiper51@...> wrote:

Next we'll have ROTA......recliners on the air.  When does it end??   hahahah

michael.j.bauer@...

My vote would have been Waffle Houses as opposed to Walmarts. Sadly that would only be available in certain parts of the US. Perhaps more prestigious? 🤠

Michael
--
KD7PTZ

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

The other issue with Waffle House is whether they are friendly to people set up in their parking lots for hours. We know that many (though not all) Walmart stores are.

And yes, only certain parts of the country. New England, for example, has none. I would have to travel about 300 miles to reach the nearest Waffle House.