Topics

use QCX before alignment #40m

expat48@...

Hi all,
I have the QCX 40m built but awaiting dummy load to align it...
Can one use the practice CW mode before alignment and without a dummy load???

George Korper

Good question. I wouldn't, because I have become very cautious.
If you are very cautious, just be certain you stay in practice mode.
I would also find some resistance and make up my own little dummy load.
It is just because there are no protections for the finals and before you are
totally familiar with a new rig mistakes happen.

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 8:04 AM <expat48@...> wrote:
Hi all,
I have the QCX 40m built but awaiting dummy load to align it...
Can one use the practice CW mode before alignment and without a dummy load???

Ham Radio

I would not use the QCX without a dummy load.  Too easy to make a error.

Do you not have a two  100 ohm resistors or four 220 ohm resistors in your junk box that you could use as a dummy load?

Check the final resistance before transmitting to make use the dummy load is around 50 ohms.

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

Gary O'Neil

There is no risk aligning the QCX audio filter in receive mode. A side tone is injected to achieve that, and there’s no need to transmit. Unless I’ve missed something, there is no transmit specific alignment to perform, so you should be safe.

Gary, N3GO