Topics

Ultimate 3s question

Barrett O

Hi this is my first post here. I just put together a ultimate 3s and it powers up fine. I was wondering if there is a step by step list of settings to follow to get up and running on wspr? I purchased the whole kit with the relay board and all. I've built all components including one low pass filter. I've heard mention of such a list somewhere but can't find it.
Also has anyone made a video going through the menu system explaining setup?
 Barrett
KG5SSO

N3MNT

Check the operations manual. https://qrp-labs.com/images/ultimate3s/operation3.12a2.pdf

@CurtisM

Barrett

I am not seeing anything better than the manual.  The only thing I remember that isn't quite clear is setting the calibration settings to higher numbers when just getting started, as the PLL needs to find itself into the narrow 200 Hz wide WSPR passband.

Its a lot of effort to do with 2 pushbuttons - of course start with one band, and presume it may take a few cycles before getting WSPR spots.

You need to carefully read instructions to designate the proper filter slot, if you have the relay board assembled - and the highest frequency filter goes in a particular slot - it is used to provide extra harmonic suppression along with a second filter selected for lower bands.

Curt

Barrett O

Thanks for the info. I just have slowly read through the manual and not rush it.
You know you solder up that last piece and your thinking to yourself I'm about to try this out quick here in a minute and see if she works but then you open up the manual and I are like holy cow I got to go back to school lol.
Now I have one low-pass filter put together installed in slot 0 on the main board with a empty relay board hooked up also. I should be able to at least try it out like this correct?
Barrett
KG5SSO

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020, 4:45 PM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Barrett

I am not seeing anything better than the manual.  The only thing I remember that isn't quite clear is setting the calibration settings to higher numbers when just getting started, as the PLL needs to find itself into the narrow 200 Hz wide WSPR passband.

Its a lot of effort to do with 2 pushbuttons - of course start with one band, and presume it may take a few cycles before getting WSPR spots.

You need to carefully read instructions to designate the proper filter slot, if you have the relay board assembled - and the highest frequency filter goes in a particular slot - it is used to provide extra harmonic suppression along with a second filter selected for lower bands.

Curt

N3MNT

If you have the relay board hooked up, you need the highest filter installed in slot 1.  If you only have one filter installed, it needs to go in slot 1.

geoff M0ORE

Disconnect the supply to the PA transistor('s) and get it working like that first. Saves the smoke that others are so good at generating.

Work through the manual one page at a time.

When you are ready to start transmitting, connect a ammeter, set to low mA range, from 5 Volt supply to the +PA supply pin so you can monitor the current as you adjust the bias. Switch to a higher current range when you are transmitting a signal.

Keep a dummy load connected until you are certain that the settings are correct.