Topics

Rescue 5K audio pot QCX+

N3MNT

Finally got some time to work on it.  Completed and made 1st QSO only one issue. I am missing the full audio range.   It appears the ground Leg of the 5K audio pot has a bad connection between the pin and the ceramic element. . Wondering if it is possible to add some solder to the connection area in hopes of a temp fix,  I know Hans said this is a custom pot so likely not easy to locate a sub.  two photos attached. First one is good connection pin to ceramic element the second one is the bad one.

Also a couple of assembly ideas that worked for me.
1. Before soldering any of the 4 phone jacks on the back mount all then align the back plate and secure with the BNC nut prior to soldering.  This insures a perfect alignment.

2.  To insure the angled connectors are parallel to the board for soldering, add the female connectors to the pins prior to soldering.

Ronald Taylor

I had the same problem with a volume pot on a standard QCX. I just squeezed the contact down flat with a pair of needle nose pliers. It worked great. Hope that works for you.

Ron

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 18:06 N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
Finally got some time to work on it.  Completed and made 1st QSO only one issue. I am missing the full audio range.   It appears the ground Leg of the 5K audio pot has a bad connection between the pin and the ceramic element. . Wondering if it is possible to add some solder to the connection area in hopes of a temp fix,  I know Hans said this is a custom pot so likely not easy to locate a sub.  two photos attached. First one is good connection pin to ceramic element the second one is the bad one.

Also a couple of assembly ideas that worked for me.
1. Before soldering any of the 4 phone jacks on the back mount all then align the back plate and secure with the BNC nut prior to soldering.  This insures a perfect alignment.

2.  To insure the angled connectors are parallel to the board for soldering, add the female connectors to the pins prior to soldering.

Gwen Patton

On my QCX, I used snipped-off leads from resistors to connect the volume pot to the board, instead of trying to do the dripped solder thing suggested in the docs. It made the connection much more reliable.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 9:25 PM Ronald Taylor <wa7gil@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank You  Ronald.  That worked fine.  Actually had a very thin needle nosed pliers that allowed me to squeeze it without removing ti from the board.
Bob