Topics

QRO QSO Party

John Baines

It was reported that while Kruschev was banging his shoe on the table he still had a shoe on each foot.
Such are politicians.

73
John
M0JBA

On 14 Sep 2020, at 15:36, G4GIR via groups.io <i.frith@...> wrote:

I still remember Khrushchev banging his shoe on the table at the UN. And did you know that Idlewild got it’s name from the golf course which used to be where the airport is now located?

Jim...kq3s

On Sep 14, 2020, at 9:13 AM, James Daldry W4JED <jim@...> wrote:

How many people would know what a "Khrushchev" or an "Idlewild" were (from the last line before the one you are quoting)?

Jim W4JED

On 9/13/20 8:23 PM, jjpurdum via groups.io wrote:
C54 stands for "Car 54", as in "Car 54, where are you?". Then again...maybe not. (Most of you aren't old enough...)

Jack, W8TEE

On Sunday, September 13, 2020, 8:20:43 PM EDT, Phil N6WKZ <n6wkz@...> wrote:

I'm just finishing a QCX (pcb ver 4) and I found a missing installed
cap, C54. It's on the schematic, but I cannot find in the manual where
it tells you to install it.

Then, out of curiosity, I look at the latest manual and it says "C54 not
supplied".

Can anyone shed some light on "C54" ?

73 Phil N6WKZ

Timothy Fidler

Aha.. it is the old third shoe in the pocket trick...  a bit like the poisoned needle in the  Phonograph trick as Maxwell Smart  would say.  I hear head scratching .. Phongraph.. wht a the hell is that??.. was that before the Titanic ?  Perhaps that is Hans' NEXT BIG THING.. retro phonographs.
BTW taking a shoe off and banging it on the table was the sort of thing you did a a  Communist meeting in Pskov in the 1920s.. many many upper crust Russkies were hellishly embarrassed when Nikita did that at the UN .  It made the Russians look like a bunch of oafs.. well they did steam roller half of Europe with their ideology post WWII .. that's a bit oafish.. but all better now.. we kissed and made up.. sort of.     TEF

Shane Justice

Too funny, Tim. I remember seeing Kruchev bang his shoe on the table in glorious black and white ( my folks didn't have a color TV back then). He came across as what we Americans refer to as a jerk.

It reminds me now of behavior similar to Hitler's rants.

The world is a better place without those types of individuals.

73,
Shane

On Sep 14, 2020 at 20:37, Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:

Aha.. it is the old third shoe in the pocket trick...  a bit like the poisoned needle in the  Phonograph trick as Maxwell Smart  would say.  I hear head scratching .. Phongraph.. wht a the hell is that??.. was that before the Titanic ?  Perhaps that is Hans' NEXT BIG THING.. retro phonographs.
BTW taking a shoe off and banging it on the table was the sort of thing you did a a  Communist meeting in Pskov in the 1920s.. many many upper crust Russkies were hellishly embarrassed when Nikita did that at the UN .  It made the Russians look like a bunch of oafs.. well they did steam roller half of Europe with their ideology post WWII .. that's a bit oafish.. but all better now.. we kissed and made up.. sort of.     TEF

Timothy Fidler

Seriosne... Kruschev was in some ways a benediction on the world.  Yes He did put missiles into Cuba but he also did back down with JF Kennedy stared him down.  Why ?.. because he saw the massive devastation that Hitler and his tribe wrecked across Europe for 5 years.  He had a massive fear of such a return to war and so he was meek enough to back down.  20 years before such a back down could have had him executed by his compadres in the Communist politbureau. It was all very risky for him.

Shane Justice

Tim,
Interesting point of view! I had never heard this before.

Best,
Shane

On Sep 15, 2020 at 21:07, Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:

Seriosne... Kruschev was in some ways a benediction on the world.  Yes He did put missiles into Cuba but he also did back down with JF Kennedy stared him down.  Why ?.. because he saw the massive devastation that Hitler and his tribe wrecked across Europe for 5 years.  He had a massive fear of such a return to war and so he was meek enough to back down.  20 years before such a back down could have had him executed by his compadres in the Communist politbureau. It was all very risky for him.

The Crunchbird

Kennedy was the last democratic party president before the party was taken over by communists. It is today still run by communists and they are becoming radical. Dave. N2SN

Shane Justice

It certainly looks that way to me.

On Sep 15, 2020 at 22:43, The Crunchbird <pulsedevil@...> wrote:

Kennedy was the last democratic party president before the party was taken over by communists. It is today still run by communists and they are becoming radical. Dave. N2SN

James Daldry W4JED

Sorry, it wasn't "stare down, back down". It was a quiet phone call from Khrushchev to Kennedy that "if you pull your missiles out of Turkey we'll remove ours from Cuba". And that's what happened. "Legacy of Ashes" by Tim Weiner.

73

Jim W4JED

On 9/15/20 5:03 PM, Timothy Fidler wrote:
Seriosne... Kruschev was in some ways a benediction on the world.  Yes He did put missiles into Cuba but he also did back down with JF Kennedy stared him down.  Why ?.. because he saw the massive devastation that Hitler and his tribe wrecked across Europe for 5 years.  He had a massive fear of such a return to war and so he was meek enough to back down.  20 years before such a back down could have had him executed by his compadres in the Communist politbureau. It was all very risky for him.

Dave

This is not the forum for political whack jobs. Start your own group or go join another.  Hans is perhaps too busy or polite to say so, but if I were moderator this would get you kicked off.

End of rant
Dave

On Sep 16, 2020, at 02:05, Shane Justice <justshane@...> wrote:

It certainly looks that way to me.

On Sep 15, 2020 at 22:43, The Crunchbird <pulsedevil@...> wrote:

Kennedy was the last democratic party president before the party was taken over by communists. It is today still run by communists and they are becoming radical. Dave. N2SN

Shane Justice

Whack jobs? You aren't looking in the mirror as you said this, are you? I say that, as the replies don't seem to me to be out of line- just talking history here.

You can call it off topic, if you like, but people are emailing their thoughts, and making lateral comparisons about a broad range of topics.

It's just good clean fun.

73,
Shane

On Sep 16, 2020 at 06:31, Dave <ve3gso@...> wrote:

This is not the forum for political whack jobs. Start your own group or go join another.  Hans is perhaps too busy or polite to say so, but if I were moderator this would get you kicked off.

End of rant
Dave

On Sep 16, 2020, at 02:05, Shane Justice <justshane@...> wrote:

It certainly looks that way to me.

On Sep 15, 2020 at 22:43, The Crunchbird <pulsedevil@...> wrote:

Kennedy was the last democratic party president before the party was taken over by communists. It is today still run by communists and they are becoming radical. Dave. N2SN

Ward Merdes

I’m with Dave on this one. Please stop wasting my (limited) time with your political views. I view this site to learn about RF electronics. - Ward Merdes KL7IXW