Topics

QCX-SSB: SSB with your QCX transceiver

Manuel; DL2MAN

New manual is online. Thanks for your feedback !

73 DL2MAN

Christiaan PA3FUN

Hi Guido,

Thanks to your help - my 80m QCX-SSB is now up-and-running. And my first impression, after tuning around a bit and making my first (CW)QSO: amazing!! A complete transceiver this size, this efficient, this flexible - it's in fact unbelievable. "A game-changer". The word has been mentioned here before but I can't help mentioning it again.

B.t.w. as Manuel DL2MAN already noticed I do have the (80m) bandpass-filter in place. I also mounted the 80m low-pass filter, since my intention is to use this rig on 80m only and I'm sure, given the 10bit ADC's, some pre-selection at the front-end will help :). I do have 6 QCX's, one for every band, and don't expect this 80m QCX-SSB to end up being the only QCX-SSB in the shack either :).

@Guido & @Hans: thanks again for your inspiring contributions to the homebrewing HAM-community.

73's Christiaan PA3FUN

Dean Smith

Very nearly there! Microphone, key, audio out, are behind.....

Manuel; DL2MAN

Great job ! Respect for your love to detail !
Personally, I wanted to put it into housing at the end of project. I do not know where the journey goes, yet.

73 Manuel DL2MAN

Dean Smith

thanks :)!
is there a R1.02b.ino file or am i chasing my own tail here i have a hex file, but unable to make it behave?

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi Dean,

Is there a LCD issue with R1.02b? The R1.02b ino file is on just the regular QCX-SSB.ino file.

I am very much interested with the enclosure, congrats with the build.

Dean Smith

Hi, Guido thanks for the feedback on the build.
I've just run 1.02b briefly! i was just about to make a couple of images for oled displays,as i'm able to make front panels to suite!
I like the Idea of C64 char sets. Great stuff! i'll let you know if i have any issues.

Dean Smith

i'm assuming the .91 oled is running with i2c adapter on the 16way lcd? or do you hook it up via isp?

Dean Smith

16 way win bond Oled yellow. Getting a few streaks of underline racing across the screen in the menu, but front end is ok

Dean Smith

Only issues with the winbond oleds is the noise on the bus due to current consumption.
couldnt get the winbond going properly with 1.02a. must be due to timing issues.
The .91 oled has a different address 7E or 78 if i remember, does the scketch take this into account or do i have to hunt? At the moment
removed // but no joy....

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi Dean, All,

Please find in GitHub an new update: R1.02c:

1. it has selectable CW Pitch (325/700Hz) was before only 325Hz is is a very looow tone

2. It probably removes the underline you saw on your very nice black LCD.

Please do not use R1.02a, because this is not supported well on all display due to a (too low) current issue on some of the LCD lines.

Regarding the OLED, yes  you can hook it up to the display header with following pins: 1=GND, 2=5V, 13=SDA, 14=SCK; remove the two-slashes at code line (~696) : //#define OLED  1  .
It is currently configured for address 0x3C (74), but you change this at line (~604):   #define SSD1306_ADDR
If it does not work, maybe you should slowdown the I2C speed, try 40 instead of 4, of line (~212): #define _DELAY() for(uint8_t i = 0; i != 4; i++) asm("nop"); // 4=731kb/s

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 7:59 PM Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:
Only issues with the winbond oleds is the noise on the bus due to current consumption.
couldnt get the winbond going properly with 1.02a. must be due to timing issues.
The .91 oled has a different address 7E or 78 if i remember, does the scketch take this into account or do i have to hunt? At the moment
removed // but no joy....

Dean Smith

Thanks Guido, for your time, I've popped 1.02c on a 328. I don t see a lot of difference to 1.02b.
I've run out of time, today. But now I've got the Arduino kit going fine now, I can experiment when her indoors is at work hi:). I have at my disposal various displays to play around with, hopefully to settle on something pleasing to the eye.
The most fun u can have with a few transistors and a sprinkling of ICs!

peatmoss - ki6ssi

Thanks Guido, Hans and Manuel! just got my v5 up and running. Its amazing!

At first I had no audio but it turns out I left off the 470 Ohm resistor in step 5. I was thinking it was only used if you want headphones. I suspect this would be a wire if using a speaker?

I also had mounted C39 to close to the board so I ran a wire from IC7 pin 5 to R27 in step 3A.

CW works great and wiring up a mic now.

73s
Pete

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi Peat,

Congrats with your very nice built and very good to hear your Rev5 is up and running and that CW works great!

Yes, its possible to hook-up a (passive) speaker(8 or 32 Ohm) directly to the headphone jack, (just replace the 470 Ohm resistor with a wire).

Guido

On Sun, May 10, 2020 at 7:39 PM peatmoss - ki6ssi <pete@...> wrote:
Thanks Guido, Hans and Manuel! just got my v5 up and running. Its amazing!

At first I had no audio but it turns out I left off the 470 Ohm resistor in step 5. I was thinking it was only used if you want headphones. I suspect this would be a wire if using a speaker?

I also had mounted C39 to close to the board so I ran a wire from IC7 pin 5 to R27 in step 3A.

CW works great and wiring up a mic now.

73s
Pete

Christiaan PA3FUN

HI Guido,

I loaded R1.02.C and love the 700Hz pitch while operating CW!

Question: I noticed that, when running CW, all filter-bandwidths (full/4k/2k5/1k7/500/200/100/50) can be selected. However, when selecting a bandwidth wider than 500Hz, nothing gets thru. I'm a fanatic/frequent CW-operator, and while it's great having small bandwidths available for qso's, I just love listening "full bandwidth" to know what's going on round a certain QRG.

So: would it be possible to enable all available bandwidths for CW in any future release? I'm quite okay with Arduino IDE and ATMEGA328-code, modified quite a lot uBitX-firmware to optimize my uBitX for CW, but must confess that the signal-processing code in QRP-SSB.INO is "a whole different ball-game" ;).

So, before modifying anything myself, this subtle request :)

73's Christiaan PA3FUN

Manuel; DL2MAN

Hello Pete,

The Wire or 470 Ohm Part is missing in my manual. Will add that. Thanks !

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

Dean Smith

Just realised with 1.02c, that  turning the volume below 0 turns off radio!
The oled .91 display works well once i sussed the pins go to the actual lcd connector and not via a i2c interface:)
Popped the wire on where 470R resides for receive and bingo up it came.
The rx side was high in frequency by 220hz so redone line 887 in the .ino file so it starts up within a couple of hz(also adjustable on 8.1 Ref Freq!).
I still have the 2 82K resistors to fit and the 220nf cap when they arrive. but thought i'd play anyway! Looking good on JS8 and FT8.
a few sproggies on the waterfall, to be expected. I see in the .INO there is CAT implementation. this could prove very useful, will look at later on.
I am noticing the encoder sometimes does nothing every other click, anyone else getting this? maybe it needs the resolution looking at??
Not sorted microphone or input yet. Is there any way of changing the frequency delimiters from commas in the .INO ?? prefer full stops myself!
Dean (G7EOB)

John VA7JBE

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 08:40 AM, Dean Smith wrote:
The oled .91 display works well once i sussed the pins go to the actual lcd connector and not via a i2c interface:)
Hang on, you mean that the SDA and SCK pins on the OLED actually go to PD2 and PD3 on the atmega328, respectively?

Guido PE1NNZ

All,
Note with R1.02c there a bug with the CW offset not being stored well. Manuel, DL2MAN just told me about this; so if you have downloaded R1.02c please download it again because I have fixed it. ...

Hang on, you mean that the SDA and SCK pins on the OLED actually go to PD2 and PD3 on the atmega328, respectively?

@John, yes that is correct, OLED pins SDA, SCK go to resp. PD2 PD3

The oled .91 display works well once i sussed the pins go to the actual lcd connector and not via a i2c interface:) ...

@Dean,
Yes turning the volume below 0 turns the radio in power-saving mode: OLED, SI5351 and micro-processor will sleep and can be re-activated by a simple press on any button.
Very Good you have the speaker working, and, yes, every 27MHz crystal is different so the frequency needs to be calibrated in 8.1 Ref Freq. or in the code as you did. Regarding the commans, you can change the commas into full-stops on line 2495: lcd.print(',');  // Thousands separator

So: would it be possible to enable all available bandwidths for CW in any future release?

@Christiaan, happy you like the 700Hz CW pitch, and yes its on my list: will make the full list of bandwidths (full/4k/2k5/1k7/500/200/100/50) back again available for CW via the menu.

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 9:43 PM John VA7JBE <va7jbe@...> wrote:
On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 08:40 AM, Dean Smith wrote:
The oled .91 display works well once i sussed the pins go to the actual lcd connector and not via a i2c interface:)
Hang on, you mean that the SDA and SCK pins on the OLED actually go to PD2 and PD3 on the atmega328, respectively?

Ryan Flowers

Well, my QCX was supposed to arrive today, but didn't! It's okay, because as I was gathering parts for the build, namely the 220nf cap and 82Kohm resistors. The capacitor was no problem. Let me check my parts. 51k, 68k, 75k, 91k.... Hey, where's the 82K? Nope. Not happening.

So the question: 75K, 91K, or do I scrounge for the 82K part? My brain tells me 75K because only 10% away or so, but I'm not sure how critical it is. I've got plenty of scrap electronics I can pilfer from if needed.

Thanks!
--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More