Topics

QCX-SSB: SSB with your QCX transceiver

scot forshaw

That’s great news, I’ll be ordering another R5 to build this ASAP.

Scot
2E0WWV

On 4 May 2020, at 18:45, DL2MAN@... wrote:

Hello All !

Back with some news. Guido an me had a longer chat today.
My Rev 5 Mod is good to go. And Guido has published it already on his Github Page.
Right now I´m working on a Documentation for those, who -like me- do not want to sacrifice their perfectly working QCX´s, but buy a new Kit from Hans and bulit it from Zero.
It´s actually a great thing to do it this way, because there are over 70 Parts left of my QCX Kit ;) And the beloved Transformer is also gone :)
For this upcoming Documentation I have friendly permission from Hans, G0UPL, for using his Layout Pictures from his manual. Thank you again, Hans !

Guido did some more Work on the Firmware, which I tested today, and much of the negative behavior, I described below, is gone.
This firmware is already available in the GitHub Master Branch.

There is still room for improvement, but
a) there is still lots of work in progress
b) it´s already a great pleasure to work with it.

AGC and NB do now work better. Priorization on what´s next is totally up to Guido.

I also magaged to do SSB QSO Today, and -again- I was really surprised, what you get out of roughly 70 Parts !
RX was 100% fine, and for my TX SIgnal, I also got a good report.
Great Job Guido, please keep on working on it !

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

David Goodrow

Hello to the group. Has anyone tried and tested the QCX-SSB on 10 Meters? I would love a low cost 10 meter unit to do JS8CALL on.

David G.
N1OMO

Manuel; DL2MAN

Guido has tested it on 10m... He also told me about js8. If I remember correctly, he said he had lower power but it worked.

Kelly Jack

What are the others reports on the receive audio for the full DSP and SDR mods. I tried it but I couldn't hear a signal on it and there were a lot of loud static pops and crackles.

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi Simon,

See here a video from Pascal to get an idea how it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk4dmahi9jo
I guess you are now trying the DSP easter-egg by disconnecting SIDETONE pin and using it as DSP audio output? (note Pascal has implemented the SDR feature).

For this DSP feature (not SDR as in Pascal's video), think about the following:
1. put a R470 or more in the headphone line, if you do not use a speaker;
2. bypass the original QCX CW-filter so that the DSP gets all the signals
3. turn the QCX volume (left) button fully open as you can (and leave it there, DO NOT use it as a volume control anymore, even better remove the volume pot)
4. with press and turn the rotary encoder, turn the volume to around 9..13 and you should hear clean audio.
5. try the latest firmware, if you are using the CW filters, they have been optimized recently

And.. regarding your earlier mail; Congrats with your QCX-SSB 1500km/5W QSO with VK4!!!; very happy to read the "perfectly acceptable audio" report :-), and good that the calibration filter works well now. Have you been able to fix the TX mute issue? It could be related to EMI onto IC10B, based on what I have others seen doing mitigating key-clicks: try removing C54 if there is, or increase C24 to 100uF.

73, Guido

@David, QCX-SSB is working fine on 10m, the SDR feature makes it also quite sensitive. The output on 10m is similar as on other bands (if you apply the direct-bias PA mod). It is even possible to use 6m, but the PA MOSFETs needs cooling and the output is down to 1W.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 10:56 PM scot forshaw <scot.forshaw@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi George,

Here are the basic Rev5 installation steps with a link for firmware: https://github.com/threeme3/QCX-SSB

Manuel, DL2MAN will soon provide a more detailed assembly manual (Rev5 QCX).

GL 73,
Guido

John VA7JBE

Hi Guido,

I am very impressed by this project and I'm already planning to build one.  While browsing the code I noticed that there was an option to use an OLED display.  I also notice that it requires the use of the SCK pin, which is also serving as the DIT/PTT pin.  Has this display option been tested?  If so, it would free up 5 pins that could be used for other things, like switching output filters.

Thank you so much for you work on this!

Cheers,
John VA7JBE

Manuel; DL2MAN

I did a quick video of the qcx ssb built, with overview, and rx audio.
Enjoy it....

https://youtu.be/SRgaoK884tY

73 Manuel DL2MAN

Gwen Patton

Impressive. Color me interested!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 1:33 PM <DL2MAN@...> wrote:
I did a quick video of the qcx ssb built, with overview, and rx audio.
Enjoy it....

https://youtu.be/SRgaoK884tY

73 Manuel DL2MAN

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi John!

Thanks you like the project. And indeed it is a very interesting project!

Yes you are right about three OLED support and three good news is that it is actually working. Just remove the two slashes from the following line and compiler and burn the firmware is enough to make it work:
//#define OLED 1 // SDD1306 connection on display header: 1=GND(black), 2=RED(red), 13=SDA(brown), 14=SCK(orange)

I am using a 0.91" sdd1305 OLED 128x32. You can wire the LCD pins as mentioned above to the display. For the text it is using the legendary Commodore 64 font, just because the ATMEGA328 is also an 8 bit processor.

Enjoy the build. Let us know how it goes and what you like or what you like to see if there is something you miss.

73, Guido

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, John VA7JBE <va7jbe@...> wrote:
Hi Guido,

I am very impressed by this project and I'm already planning to build one.  While browsing the code I noticed that there was an option to use an OLED display.  I also notice that it requires the use of the SCK pin, which is also serving as the DIT/PTT pin.  Has this display option been tested?  If so, it would free up 5 pins that could be used for other things, like switching output filters.

Thank you so much for you work on this!

Cheers,
John VA7JBE

Dean Smith

just received  revision 5 qcx board to populate for qcx-ssb today, but on guido's site it's all rev 4!
anybody got pics (docs)of rev 5 pcb for qcx-ssb?
Main use here will be for FT-8/JS8.
I did look into phaser unit from the USA for $55.
Only problem here in the UK is Customs Duty.
This would bring the price steeply upward. i remember from mr benson's other offerings...
A simular 20m psk board.£100 time i got it through my front door!
here they just leave a slip,you have to go pay and collect.

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi Dean, All,

Manuel, DL2MAN has written an excellent Assembly Manual for the Rev 5 QCX-SSB build (for a new unbuild QCX).

It is just uploaded just now, so please have a look and enjoy the build!

Many thanks Manuel for this great documentation!

73, Guido

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 4:15 PM Dean Smith <bardezbiker@...> wrote:
just received  revision 5 qcx board to populate for qcx-ssb today, but on guido's site it's all rev 4!
anybody got pics (docs)of rev 5 pcb for qcx-ssb?
Main use here will be for FT-8/JS8.
I did look into phaser unit from the USA for $55.
Only problem here in the UK is Customs Duty.
This would bring the price steeply upward. i remember from mr benson's other offerings...
A simular 20m psk board.£100 time i got it through my front door!
here they just leave a slip,you have to go pay and collect.

Dean Smith

Thank you Guido, so quick.
Just printed off. looks like it's got everything covered.
Time to digest and see how we do. ;)

PA3CRZ

Good job !
Now I can unbox my brand new QCX and start building.

Tnx !

PA3CRZ

Hmm, spoke too soon....

It turns out I got my QCX some time ago, and I believe this is a version 4 PCB.
It says in the right hand bottom corner CW tcvr QRP Labs 2017. 4

Two questions:

1) Will it be possible to use the manual Manuel (...) wrote for a version 4 PCB ?
2) Will a version 4 PCB work just as good after all modifications are in place, or are the latest software and hardware changes specifically for a version 5 PCB ?

I hope someone can answer my questions.

Tnx and 73,
Hans

Ryan Flowers

Yes I'll be doing this too, hoping to start next week, maybe even this weekend depending on when my QCX arrives. I'll be documenting mine for my blog, maybe it will help somebody in the future too :)

--
Ryan Flowers - W7RLF
MiscDotGeek - QRP and More

Guido PE1NNZ

Hi Hans,

On the github there are instruction for the earlier Rev4 and also work on earlier models:  https://github.com/threeme3/QCX-SSB

The Rev 4 and 5 circuit is exactly the same, so no differences.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 4:46 PM PA3CRZ <j.lammerts@...> wrote:
Hmm, spoke too soon....

It turns out I got my QCX some time ago, and I believe this is a version 4 PCB.
It says in the right hand bottom corner CW tcvr QRP Labs 2017. 4

Two questions:

1) Will it be possible to use the manual Manuel (...) wrote for a version 4 PCB ?
2) Will a version 4 PCB work just as good after all modifications are in place, or are the latest software and hardware changes specifically for a version 5 PCB ?

I hope someone can answer my questions.

Tnx and 73,
Hans

Manuel; DL2MAN

That´s not quite the case. Rev 4 Schematic and Rev 5 Schematic are different in regards of Audio 1 / Audio 2 Path.
Rev 4 Schematic and PCB do contain a little more components....
My Manual will not work for Rev 4 or earlier. Only for Rev 5. But I do not have Rev 4, so I cannot change the Manual.
But Guidos Instructions are basically very good and clear. You just need to work systematically.

73 Manuel; DL2MAN

Manuel; DL2MAN

Additional Info regarding Question 2 of Hans:
After all the SSB/SDR Modifications, Rev 4 and 5 are equal and qorking equally

PA3CRZ

Da's snel !

I can see the instructions are not in PDF form, but hopefully I'll get it right.
Will be starting with an empty PCB....

Tnx agn!
Hans