Topics

QCX #smoked ? #smoked

John Sharman

All working well on WSPR for weeks
This morning the display is acting weird and the buttons are sometimes not responsive
This afternoon the display stats flashing on and off with smell of burins from transceiver!!
Hope its just the 5Reg thats blown!
The power supply i'm using is 12v from RS Components ad is giving out 13.8v
Is the consensus that the item is Kaput!!!!
Regards
John

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Define kaput,  and what item?

Likely fried the finals in the morning and during the day repeated tries finished the job.
THe PS I can only guess about.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.

John Sharman

Finals are ok !

On 8 Sep 2020, at 20:45, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

Define kaput,  and what item?

Likely fried the finals in the morning and during the day repeated tries finished the job.
THe PS I can only guess about.

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Most of the "12V" power supplies sold to hams are really 13.8V supplies out of the box. (Many of them can be adjusted with an internal trimmer.) A lot of ham gear is designed to operate best at that voltage, which is about what you get from a typical automobile while it is running. The power supply is probably working as designed.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 3:59 PM John Sharman via groups.io <jsharman6=sky.com@groups.io> wrote:
Finals are ok !

On 8 Sep 2020, at 20:45, ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:

Define kaput,  and what item?

Likely fried the finals in the morning and during the day repeated tries finished the job.
THe PS I can only guess about.

Allison
Please reply on list so we can share.

@CurtisM

John

let's not conclude anything yet - but suffice it to say WSPR can be rough on this rig - the original QCX without any heat sinking on the bs170 finals.  I can't speak to the qcx+ on WSPR, but the heatsink at least looks nice!

let's see - single band rig - if you do WSPR once each 10 minutes - I would think it should work if your antenna has a reasonable match.  kaput?  I would think only the bs170 finals take punishment - order a batch of them from W8DIZ if you are stateside.

now i did smoke some bs170 in my QCX - when I plugged in GPS and did not realize it set rig into transmit.  hang in there I hope the QCX is still okay.

73 curt