Topics

QCX S/W 1.04, PCB Rev 5, 40M Band : Was working, now displays "use original ic!" Looking for a diagnostic insight #qcx #40m

Alan G4ZFQ

When I powered it up today the display has the text "use original ic!".
I did not try any firmware updates.
Ed,

It seems the EEPROM must have got corrupted, it can happen some times.
There is no point doing any other checks, contact Hans. You will either need a replacement chip or at least will have to load the .eep file if you have a programmer.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

geoff M0ORE

Hi guys,

Can you please stop adding to the subject line on each reply. It messes up the "mute topic" facility.

Ta

On 18/07/2020 08:21, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
When I powered it up today the display has the text "use original ic!".
I did not try any firmware updates.

Ed,

It seems the EEPROM must have got corrupted, it can happen some times.
There is no point doing any other checks, contact Hans. You will either need a replacement chip or at least will have to load the .eep file if you have a programmer.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

ed.j.tink@...

I exchanged emails with Hans, acquired an Arduino Uno, installed Avrdude, hooked everything up, and ran the command (provided by Hans):

avrdude -c arduino -P COM3 -p m328p -U flash:w:T1.05.hex -U eeprom:w:T1.05.eep -U efuse:w:0xFC:m -U hfuse:w:0xD1:m -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -F

Console output indicates it wrote the files ok -- no complaints.

But it now boots with the top row of LCD as dark blocks and the bottom row empty.

Looks like something additional happened. Current theory at this point is that a static charge from the antenna discharged into the unit when I connected it.

I will try some additional voltage tests next.

-- 
Ed Tink

ed.j.tink@...

Hmm... looks like the fuses are all 0x00

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f (probably m328p)
avrdude> part
>>> part

AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
PAGEL                         : PD7
BS2                           : PC2
RESET disposition             : dedicated
RETRY pulse                   : SCK
serial program mode           : yes
parallel program mode         : yes
Timeout                       : 200
StabDelay                   : 100
CmdexeDelay              : 25
SyncLoops                   : 32
ByteDelay                    : 0
PollIndex                     : 3
PollValue                     : 0x53
Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
  Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
  ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
  eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
  flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
  lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
  hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
  efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
  lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
  calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
  signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

--
Ed Tink

Ham Radio

Just try re-writing the fuses.   If you can not, you will need a new microcontroller...
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF
(most typos in this message have been generated by highly sophisticated auto-correction software)

Mike Besemer - WM4B

That won’t work, but if you contact Han’s he’ll send you the .eep file to rewrite the eeprom data.

Mike

WM4B

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ham Radio
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 7:38 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] QCX S/W 1.04, PCB Rev 5, 40M Band : Was working, now displays "use original ic!" Looking for a diagnostic insight #40m #qcx

Just try re-writing the fuses.   If you can not, you will need a new microcontroller...
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF
(most typos in this message have been generated by highly sophisticated auto-correction software)

Ham Radio

Mike.

I thought he had the .eep file from Hans.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Bernie,

Maybe he does… I’ve been in and out – might have missed a post! 

Mike

WM4B

(Typos are totally the fault of the fat-fingered, farsighted author!)

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ham Radio
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 8:01 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] QCX S/W 1.04, PCB Rev 5, 40M Band : Was working, now displays "use original ic!" Looking for a diagnostic insight #40m #qcx

Mike.

I thought he had the .eep file from Hans.

Sorry for the confusion on my part.

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

ed.j.tink@...

Thanks all,

I did get both the flash and eeprom files. AVRDUDE indicates it writes ok (uses -F on command line) but the read files after writing do not match the originals.

I cannot rewrite the fuses (using AVRDUDESS) successfully.

So, it looks like a new micro controller.

Regards,
--
Ed Tink

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

You might be able to recover your existing microcontroller with a high voltage programmer if you have access to one of those. But don't go out and buy one just for this; it's a lot cheaper to replace the chip.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 8:45 PM <ed.j.tink@...> wrote:
Thanks all,

I did get both the flash and eeprom files. AVRDUDE indicates it writes ok (uses -F on command line) but the read files after writing do not match the originals.

I cannot rewrite the fuses (using AVRDUDESS) successfully.

So, it looks like a new micro controller.

Regards,
--
Ed Tink

Ham Radio

Buy at least one spare micro.  The upgrade to 1.06 should be out once Hans gets some time.
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

ed.j.tink@...

I got a pair of micro's today version 1.05. I swapped one in and the micro is now fully functional along with the input controls, output audio and input keyer. A good start.

The tuning though is not working well. There is a tone generated but the band pass filter peak is low at ~3 max. The I-Q Balance, Low and High Audio all generate a (different) tone but adjusting the respective resistors has no effect. Also there is little to no power detected in the dummy load during a transmission.

Theory that a static discharge from the antenna into the board damaging the micro appear to hold up so far. So, I expect that something got damaged.

More investigation to come...
--
Ed Tink