Topics

#qcx QCX Firmware 1.01 released #qcx

Josh Boyd
 

You can use Avrdudess in Linux.  Use mono to run it.   Details in this blog.......
https://blog.zakkemble.net/avrdudess-a-gui-for-avrdude/

Hans Summers
 

Hi David

Remember there's a 1.01a now. Because there was a bug with CW decoding when editing messages (keying in messages using CW). So better to use 1.01a not 1.01.

I'm using Linux for the last 6 months or so.

Avrdude command line commands in Linux are the same as in Windows except for changing COMn to suit. For me:

avrdude -c avrisp -P COM7 -b 19200 -p m328p -U flash:w:T1.00g.hex -U eeprom:w:T1.00g.eep -U efuse:w:0xFC:m -U hfuse:w:0xD1:m -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -F

73 Hans G0UPL 


On Sat, Oct 12, 2019, 07:26 David Giles <vk5dg@...> wrote:
How I programmed the QCX using Linux.
This was on a 80m QCX with 1.00g firmware in a ATMEGA328p.

- As per VK3ELH's instructions, I downloaded ArduinoISP into an Arduino UNO and connected the Arduino to the QCX

- from the command line I used this command to read the current EEPROM contents for safe keeping
avrdude -p m328p -b 19200 -c avrisp -P /debv/ttyUSB0 -U eeprom:r:qcx80.eep:i
where -p m328p is the chip type, -b 19200 is the baud rate, -c avrisp is the programmer type (-c arduino did not work for me)
and -P /dev/ttyUSB0 is the port the programmer is connected to.  -U ... tells avrdude to read the contents of the EEPROM
and save in the file qcx80.eep as an intel hex file.  Avrdude also displays the fuse settings, so I noted them down for future reference.

- with the new firmware T1.01.hex, I used the following command to write it
avrdude -p m328p -b 19200 -c avrisp -P /dev/ttyUSB0 -U flash:w:T1.01.hex:i
This just writes to the flash memory.  The QCX reset and showed 1.01.  Now to check out the new features.

Hope this helps.

73 de David VK5DG

 

For Linux use g4dude for a gui for avrdude.

No need to run avrdudess because that requires WINE.

It's one more complication, and depending upon linux distro could be
problematical to install.

G4dude is Python based,so linux,Windows and Mac's should find
dead easy to run.

jmh6@...
 

Hi,

Just tried G4DUDE on AntiX. No go.

bash: ./G4DUDE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Maybe on some version of Linux??

Lots of fun :).

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

For Linux use g4dude for a gui for avrdude.
No need to run avrdudess because that requires WINE.
It's one more complication, and depending upon linux distro could be
problematical to install.
G4dude is Python based,so linux,Windows and Mac's should find
dead easy to run.

Roger Hill
 

Maybe try from source - the notes say:

INSTALL & USE
-------------

FROM SOURCE:
============

Not need installation, only unzip to a folder and run with 'python G4DUDE.py' command from the folder.
NOTE: The relases don't include the avrdude binary, please download it.

Requirements:
python2.6 or newer (www.python.org)
pyGTK 2.xx (www.pygtk.org)


FROM binary (linux):
====================

Just unzip and run from folder the g4dude executable.


Also, you might need to 'chmod +x G4DUDE'

Hope this helps
Roger

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2019-10-12 11:08, jmh6@... wrote:
Hi,
Just tried G4DUDE on AntiX. No go.
bash: ./G4DUDE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Maybe on some version of Linux??
Lots of fun :).
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

For Linux use g4dude for a gui for avrdude.
No need to run avrdudess because that requires WINE.
It's one more complication, and depending upon linux distro could be
problematical to install.
G4dude is Python based,so linux,Windows and Mac's should find
dead easy to run.

Roger Hill
 

Hi Again.

I am using Ubuntu.

I just unzipped the linux binary, using
bunzip2 G4DUDE...bz2

followed by
tar xf G4DUDE....tar

then
cd G4DUDEv1.0-linux-x86_64

The G4DUDE file was already executable, and ./G4DUDE worked fine, the GUI popped up.

I cannot test any further than that...no QCX nor CPU chip!

Roger


Maybe try from source - the notes say:

INSTALL & USE
-------------

FROM SOURCE:
============G4DUDEv1.0-linux-x86_64

Not need installation, only unzip to a folder and run with 'python G4DUDE.py' command from the folder.
NOTE: The relases don't include the avrdude binary, please download it.

Requirements:
python2.6 or newer (www.python.org)
pyGTK 2.xx (www.pygtk.org)


FROM binary (linux):
====================

Just unzip and run from folder the g4dude executable.


Also, you might need to 'chmod +x G4DUDE'

Hope this helps
Roger

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2019-10-12 11:08, jmh6@... wrote:
Hi,
Just tried G4DUDE on AntiX. No go.
bash: ./G4DUDE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
Maybe on some version of Linux??
Lots of fun :).
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

For Linux use g4dude for a gui for avrdude.
No need to run avrdudess because that requires WINE.
It's one more complication, and depending upon linux distro could be
problematical to install.
G4dude is Python based,so linux,Windows and Mac's should find
dead easy to run.

 

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 11:06 AM, <jmh6@...> wrote:
AntiX.
32 BIT version or 64 bit version ?

G4DUDE makes reference to being 64 bit when unzipped, but I'm not qualified to know how
that might effect a Python program.

73 de Andy

James Daldry W4JED
 

Hi jmh6

On Linux Mint 19.2:

Put tarfile in my /home/jim/Aps folder

Right click and select "extract here"

Open G4DUDE folder, right click "library.zip" file, select "extract here"

Double click G4DUDE icon

Program starts and runs normally

I'm going to be attempting to install Antix on a 1 gig P4M laptop that I haven't used in a couple years since it isn't capable of running Mate desktop. If it works out, I'll try installing the package there. I'd like to resurrect the machine because it has both serial and parallel ports, as well as USB2. Back in 2007 it was capable of running Windows XP Pro in a VMware VM on PCLinuxOS, with Firefox open on another virtual desktop, under Compiz Fusion. Flip the cube between Internet Explorer and Firefox. My how software has improved over the last 12 years.

73

Jim W4JED

On 10/12/19 6:08 AM, jmh6@... wrote:

Hi,

    Just tried G4DUDE on AntiX. No go.

       bash: ./G4DUDE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

    Maybe on some version of Linux??

    Lots of fun :).



On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

For Linux use g4dude for a gui for avrdude.

No need to run avrdudess because that requires WINE.

It's one more complication, and depending upon linux distro could be
problematical to install.

G4dude is Python based,so linux,Windows and Mac's should find
dead easy to run.

 

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 01:22 PM, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
On Linux Mint 19.2:

Put tarfile in my /home/jim/Aps folder
Right click and select "extract here"
Open G4DUDE folder, right click "library.zip" file, select "extract here"
Double click G4DUDE icon
Program starts and runs normally
Exactly the same as my LM 18.3

As for AntiX, I used to have it on the XYL's old and ancient Asus EEE PC, but it was not friendly for her ;-)
For old PC's, it might be better to go for Raspbian desktop (actually it's Debian  with the Raspberry Pixel desktop).
Runs like a rocket on that old single core 900Mhz CPU and 1Gig RAM.
And does all the radio bits too, like AVRDUDE and QRSS grabbing software etc.

The PC version for x86 cpu's is here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

73 de Andy

 

I screwed up, wrong link.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/

Don't be mislead by the link name.

This page gives you the desktop Debian 10 for normal PC's with an X86 style CPU.

- Andy -

jmh6@...
 

Hi Thanks,

The AntiX I am running is 32 bit. I run from an SD plugged into a USB2
adapter. I will put it a 64 bit Linux and try that.

Thanks.

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Roger Hill wrote:

Hi Again.

I am using Ubuntu.

I just unzipped the linux binary, using
bunzip2 G4DUDE...bz2

followed by
tar xf G4DUDE....tar

then
cd G4DUDEv1.0-linux-x86_64

The G4DUDE file was already executable, and ./G4DUDE worked fine, the GUI popped up.

I cannot test any further than that...no QCX nor CPU chip!

Roger


Maybe try from source - the notes say:

INSTALL & USE
-------------

FROM SOURCE:
============G4DUDEv1.0-linux-x86_64

Not need installation, only unzip to a folder and run with 'python G4DUDE.py' command from the folder.
NOTE: The relases don't include the avrdude binary, please download it.

Requirements:
python2.6 or newer (www.python.org)
pyGTK 2.xx (www.pygtk.org)


FROM binary (linux):
====================

Just unzip and run from folder the g4dude executable.


Also, you might need to 'chmod +x G4DUDE'

Hope this helps
Roger

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2019-10-12 11:08, jmh6@... wrote:
Hi,

Just tried G4DUDE on AntiX. No go.

bash: ./G4DUDE: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Maybe on some version of Linux??

Lots of fun :).
On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

For Linux use g4dude for a gui for avrdude.
No need to run avrdudess because that requires WINE.
It's one more complication, and depending upon linux distro could be
problematical to install.
G4dude is Python based,so linux,Windows and Mac's should find
dead easy to run.

jmh6@...
 

Hi Andy :),

I also have 2 EEE pcs. I plugged as SD into the EEE pc and watched it boot the latest version of Knoppix. Worked like a charm. Even works with Hotspot both plugged into USB of EEE pc and VIA WIFI.

Resizes the screen well and real stuff just works.

Just like Linux is supposed to!!!!

Lots of fun :).

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 01:22 PM, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
On Linux Mint 19.2:

Put tarfile in my /home/jim/Aps folder
Right click and select "extract here"
Open G4DUDE folder, right click "library.zip" file, select "extract here"
Double click G4DUDE icon
Program starts and runs normally
Exactly the same as my LM 18.3
As for AntiX, I used to have it on the XYL's old and ancient Asus EEE PC, but it was not friendly for her ;-)
For old PC's, it might be better to go for Raspbian desktop (actually it's Debian  with the Raspberry Pixel desktop).
Runs like a rocket on that old single core 900Mhz CPU and 1Gig RAM.
And does all the radio bits too, like AVRDUDE and QRSS grabbing software etc.
The PC version for x86 cpu's is here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
73 de Andy

Alan G4ZFQ
 

>g4dude
>,Windows and Mac's should find dead easy to run.

Andy,

I did not realise how old it is.
It works in my 32 bit Windows 10 but only after I realised it wanted to write it's .ini in the program folder.
Install it somewhere other than "Program Files".
And note Avrdude.exe needs to be on the computer so you may point to it. (In the Avrdudess folder?)
Seems OK but as Avrdudess is known better probably will not get used much in Windows.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

 

Glad it's working for you Alan.

Well at least G4DUDE is pretty universal for GUI so it's a good starter when you want something for any OS.

Not got it working on a Raspberry Pi yet, but that's probably my own incompetence.

But AVRDUDE on any Raspberry Pi is available straight out the repository, so armed with a command line it's
a case of job done.

@JMH6...
I also have 2 EEE pcs. I plugged as SD into the EEE pc and watched it boot the latest version of Knoppix. Worked like a charm. Even works with Hotspot both plugged into USB of EEE pc and VIA WIFI.

Never used Knoppix but it seems to have a good name.

I personally found that the Raspbian PC Desktop as previously mentioned here https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/
runs like greased lightning on the old Asus EEE PC that I have here.  Slightly fast than AntiX, and 10x quicker than Linux Mint.

NOTE - yes the URL says Raspberry PI. But this page contains the x86 version of it's OS, which is actually Debian 10 with the Raspberry Pi "Pixel" desktop.

It's Linux made easy, and is undoubtedly the best OS for using any  really ancient PC's you have left lying around.

Anyway, not much else to add really.

I just hope the info was useful for you with Linux and trying to program your QRP Labs firmware updates (+ other spin off benefits).

Linux forever ;-)

- Andy -

Julian Forsey
 

Hello Lawrence and thanks.
It didn't work in Firefox browser, right clicking only let me save the link, so it wasn't a Hex file that AVRDudess recognised.
So I tried using the Microsoft Edge browser, and managed to do it! Not sure how.
The chip programmed and seemed to be okay, but now I've joined the "row of white blocks club", so the eep file must have been erased.
I think the tutorial on how to do it isn't quite right, because I followed it to the letter.
Hey-ho. I've ordered a new chip now, and contacted Hans. Meanwhile my QCX, which was lovely, doesn't work :-(
Julian.
G4ETS

Hans Summers
 

Hi Julian

The row of blocks is nothing to do with an erased EEPROM file. If the EEPROM file is erased but in other aspects your upgrade was fine, you will still get text on the display. Your blocks mean you have something more fundamental wrong. I think if you paste your log here, that should help people diagnose the issue. (Assuming avrdudess makes a log. It must, as it is just a wrapper for avrdude, which does make a log).

73 Hans G0UPL 


On Sat, Oct 12, 2019, 19:55 Julian Forsey <julian_forsey@...> wrote:
Hello Lawrence and thanks.
It didn't work in Firefox browser, right clicking only let me save the link, so it wasn't a Hex file that AVRDudess recognised.
So I tried using the Microsoft Edge browser, and managed to do it! Not sure how.
The chip programmed and seemed to be okay, but now I've joined the "row of white blocks club", so the eep file must have been erased.
I think the tutorial on how to do it isn't quite right, because I followed it to the letter.
Hey-ho. I've ordered a new chip now, and contacted Hans. Meanwhile my QCX, which was lovely, doesn't work :-(
Julian.
G4ETS

Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...>
 

It's been mentioned before but I think its worth repeating.  When saving the .hex file, don't open it, just hover over the link, right click and save as.  If opened, as in my case, it saved as .hex.txt file because it opened it notepad.  Further, you won't see the added .txt extension unless you look at it under "properties" in file manager or other such utility.  Avrdudess won't recognize it with the added extension.

73s
Jim Davis
W8JD

jmh6@...
 

Hi Andy,

Thanks. Actual download link is:

https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd_x86/
images/rpd_x86-2019-10-01/2019-09-25-rpd-x86-buster.iso

It was a little buried....

I am getting it on another box right now using:

wget -c --no-check-certificate

Long live linux :) :).

Lots of fun :).

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

Glad it's working for you Alan.
Well at least G4DUDE is pretty universal for GUI so it's a good starter when
you want something for any OS.
Not got it working on a Raspberry Pi yet, but that's probably my own
incompetence.
But AVRDUDE on any Raspberry Pi is available straight out the repository, so
armed with a command line it's
a case of job done.
@JMH6...
I also have 2 EEE pcs. I plugged as SD into the EEE pc and
watched it boot the latest version of Knoppix. Worked like a
charm. Even works with Hotspot both plugged into USB of EEE pc
and VIA WIFI.
Never used Knoppix but it seems to have a good name.
I personally found that the Raspbian PC Desktop as previously mentioned here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/
runs like greased lightning on the old Asus EEE PC that I have here. 
Slightly fast than AntiX, and 10x quicker than Linux Mint.
NOTE - yes the URL says Raspberry PI. But this page contains the x86 version
of it's OS, which is actually Debian 10 with the Raspberry Pi "Pixel"
desktop.
It's Linux made easy, and is undoubtedly the best OS for using any  really
ancient PC's you have left lying around.
Anyway, not much else to add really.
I just hope the info was useful for you with Linux and trying to program
your QRP Labs firmware updates (+ other spin off benefits).
Linux forever ;-)
- Andy -

Julian Forsey
 

Hello Hans and thanks.
As you ruled out the EEPROM file as the cause of my problem, I started looking again at all the forum messages and decided to re-download the hex file. I noticed that the newly downloaded file was 88kb, while the first one was only 77kb. So I repeated the upgrade process, using the newly downloaded hex file, and bingo - it worked!
Now my lovely little QCX is working well again, and with more convenient RIT too!
Many thanks Hans, to you and to all of the QCX fraternity, whose posts are so helpful.
Julian
G4ETS

Don DeGregori
 

Hans,

I did the 1.01a update using the Arduino Uno method. The first attempt, just before hitting Program, I noticed the BS-170's were getting real hot. Pulled plug on everything. Remembered I left rig in WSPR mode. Fired QCX up again and removed all options regarding Beacon/WSPR and back to CW mode. Re-Flashed again.
Done in a few seconds. I think all is well.

Don