Topics

#qcx QCX Firmware 1.01 released #qcx

Luc ON7DQ

Tnx Alan G4ZFQ

All is well now

But had some strange things ...
This morning tried again, and this time Detect worked OK, at the highest speed.
Then I used the GO button instead of the Program button, as suggested by 'Chopper' above..

Then came again the error about not being able to set the clock .. but the programming continued ...and with success.
So we can probably ignore that error ...

Both my QCX'es up and running with 1.01a now, yiehaa !

The thing I was interested mostly was to use my Palm Pico paddle as a Cootie (sideswiper), by setting the QCX menu 4.1 to "Straight",  and menu 4.10 to "Both".
Result is disappointing, not QCX's fault, but the contacts in the paddle are just too close, and I don't want to fiddle with those ... it was just an idea that it might work.

73,
Luc ON7DQ

Hans Summers

Hi Luc

The thing I was interested mostly was to use my Palm Pico paddle as a Cootie (sideswiper), by setting the QCX menu 4.1 to "Straight",  and menu 4.10 to "Both".
Result is disappointing, not QCX's fault, but the contacts in the paddle are just too close, and I don't want to fiddle with those ... it was just an idea that it might work.

You could have done this in all the previous firmware versions; the behaviour was always "Both" anyway, and it is still the default. It's the "Tip" and "Ring" options which are new, and make it more easy for people who wish to use a key with a mono plug not stereo.

73 Hans G0UPL

David Wilcox

Luc,

Go ahead and adjust your Pico Paddle..... it is easy and it’s made to be adjusted to your liking.  I have both the Palm Mini and Pico Paddles and they are great and easy to adjust with the included allen wrench.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Oct 10, 2019, at 3:18 AM, Luc ON7DQ <on7dq@...> wrote:

[...]

ND6P

Me too, even though I followed all instructions precisely.  What now?

ND6P

Me too, Use Original IC!, even though I followed all instuctions precisely.  What now?

Alan G4ZFQ

On 10/10/2019 13:39, ND6P wrote:
Me too, even though I followed all instructions precisely.  What now?
Contact Hans.
(This should not happen if you are sure you have not Written any fuse settings.)
Did you use the "Go" button or the "Program!" button? Although again this should not override the fuse setting..

73 Alan G4ZFQ

N3MNT

Be certain to use the read the fuse button to populate the fuse locations prior to programming

Jim W8JD

For some reason the eeprom is getting wiped out with these updates.  The only fix is to reload the .eep file and that has to come from Hans, he will include the fuse settings or at least he did for me.  The fuse setting are supposed to protect this but apparently they are not.  Maybe Hans can shed some light on the AVRDUDESS settings to avoid this.  In the mean time you will have to email him.  I see he has been getting back to people quickly but consider his time zone.

Jim Davis
W8JD

Jim W8JD

I see now he has addressed this on a different thread.  Thanks Hans.

Jim

Hans Summers

Hi Jim

I'm not familiar with avrdudess.

The correct thing to do is program ONLY the .hex file. If there is an option in avrdudess to not program fuses, good... don't program fuses... I sent a post with the correct fuse values earlier. They are important! Chips from QRP Labs are programmed with these values:

Low fuse byte: 0xF7
High fuse byte: 0xD1
Extended fuse byte: 0xFC

(Extended fuse byte maybe 0x04 on some AVR programmers, depending whether they read back the top unused 5 bits as zero or one. If you get an error about the extended fuse bit just try 0x04 instead).

The EEPROM preserve through erase bit (bit #3 of the High byte) is the one that protects the EEPROM bytes.

You want EEPROM settings saved anyway otherwise you lose the 27MHz cal value etc. and any messages and frequency presets.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 17:07 Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...> wrote:
For some reason the eeprom is getting wiped out with these updates.  The only fix is to reload the .eep file and that has to come from Hans, he will include the fuse settings or at least he did for me.  The fuse setting are supposed to protect this but apparently they are not.  Maybe Hans can shed some light on the AVRDUDESS settings to avoid this.  In the mean time you will have to email him.  I see he has been getting back to people quickly but consider his time zone.

Jim Davis
W8JD

Alan G4ZFQ

Averdudess does not erase the EEPROM when I try with default settings, either button does it correctly.
Are there some QCX chiips with the wrong fuse settings?
Users need to read the fuse settings before flashing, although a fuse "Read" afterwards would show the problem.

73 Alan G4ZFGQ

Hans Summers

Hi Alan

For a long time we've been using a script to program the chips. I don't know how it could be possible for fuse settings to be wrong. If fuses weren't programmed correctly there'd be other consequences like the chip running 20x too slow, that would be readily apparent.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 17:22 Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
Averdudess does not erase the EEPROM when I try with default settings, either button does it correctly.
Are there some QCX chiips with the wrong fuse settings?
Users need to read the fuse settings before flashing, although a fuse "Read" afterwards would show the problem.

73 Alan G4ZFGQ

Jim W8JD

Ah, there is a a check box called "SET FUSES" and mine defaults checked so no doubt that was my problem.  It sounds like Alan's is not checked.  I suspect that may be the problem for some anyway.

Jim Davis
W8JD

Alan G4ZFQ

OK, Hans.
I was thinking maybe the High was D9 or something.
There must be a reason why we are getting this problem. Apart from accidently going over to the Fuse pane in Averdudess and purposely setting them wrongly and Writing them before flashing the hex what else could override the setting?

>check box called "SET FUSES" and mine defaults checked so no doubt that was my problem

Well Jim, did you enter anything in those boxes?
Cerainly my Avedudess v2.9 does nothing if I try to write fuses with no entries in the boxes.
Have you tried to read the fuses afterwards? It would be interesting to see what they are.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

N3MNT

Using the latest version of Averdudess I used the detect button to confirm connection and working ISP.  I then used read fuses button to confirm correct fuses.  Unchecked program Fuses.  choose the T 1.01 hex file in the flash section and clicked GO under flash,.  Did not use Program button.
Programed properly and works per new manual.
Issues appear to be programmer related and to QCX/QRPabs related.

abeza_63

Hi all,

I finally resolved my problem associated with the LCD displaying only a row of blocks on the top row, after
Updating to T1.01.  I compared the downloaded T1.01 hex file with the hex file I copied and pasted and
 noticed I did not copy the downloaded file completely, I left 13 lines out, when I copied the
File, so what I pasted was an incomplete hex file. After I copied the hex file properly, I was able to update my QCX
To the T1.01. Version. I was not successful to update a spare firmware chip (version T1.00g), the chip I purchased from QRP labs.
After I updated the chip, the LCD displayed "Use original IC", kind of strange because the original chip that I received
With the QCX kit updated OK,
I guess there is something different about the spare chip. I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

August Beza (WA2HTF)

ohwenzelph

With AVRDudess 2.10 (arvdude version 6.3). Just updated my 40 m qcx firmware.

Read the fuses. The H fuse was 0xD9 so I changed the 9 to a 1 and then clicked the Write button. Then under Flash I had placed the path to the T101a.hex file, and right under that I pushed the Go button.

New firm ware installed no problem. ( unlike my 30 meter one) Still remembers it’s a 40 m rig and still remembers the corrected reference frequency! No eep file needed.

Good Luck
Jerry aa1of

Jim W8JD

Alan here is what ultimately worked.  I just don't remember doing anything with the fuses on the original load that did not work.  Once I re-wrote the eeprom with help from Hans it all worked perfectly.  I see avrdudess keeps any defaults you set once you exit the program so I suspect the fuses were blank on the original load but the "set fuses" block was checked but I just cant say for sure.  I set these fuse values per instructions from Hans.  I wonder if the "Set lock" should have been checked as well to prevent this from happening in the future.  Maybe someone with better knowledge of avrdudess than me could chime in?  In any case, once you get the "Use original IC" message, the eeprom is erased and the .eep file will need to be re-loaded.

Jim Davis
W8JD

Alan G4ZFQ

I set these fuse values per instructions from Hans.  I wonder if the "Set lock" should have been checked as well to prevent this from happening in the future.
Jim,

Set lock does not come into it. It looks like it stops the chip from being programmed at all.
The only setting that should matter is High fuse D1. This should stop the EEPROM from being erased and getting the "original chip" message.
It is difficult to get to users before they update but it seems to me that reading the fuse values would be a good idea just in case somehow they did get to be wrong.

73 Alan G4ZFQ