Topics

#qcx QCX Firmware 1.01 released #qcx

Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...>

Tom I mean, Sorry.

Tom N9GVP

Thanks, Jim!  I will contact Hans.  Here are the settings that I think I used in avrdudess just before I clicked on the "Program!" button to start the procedure.  Can you or someone else point out exactly where I need to make a change in the settings so I can avoid this the next time?

Thanks again,
Tom

You might need to copy this figure and enlarge it in order to read it.

Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...>

Yep same as mine.  Avrdudess should should have safer defaults.  I can't read the path area but I can see the EEPROM path is empty, second line item.  That is the problem.  Once you get the .eep file from Hans, you need to set it in that second EEPROM window, "second line item" so avrdudess can find it.  Once the load is started, should see two sets of reads and writes "successful", two for each file, (.hex and .eep) which will signal success and your radio will come back to life.  I think the .eep file will be something like 1.00g.eep since the eprom file didn't change.   I hope this helps.

ohwenzelph

Same here. Reloading the file did not help.
Was I supposed to click “ Disable flash erase (-D) “ ???
Used KE7HR’s guide and he didn’t show doing that.
so....what do I do now?
thanks
jerry aa1of

Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...>

Yep, not the fault of Hans, I think its the default settings in avrdudess .  I did the exact same thing .  Hans was very helpful.   The .eep file will fix it.

Jim Davis
W8JD

Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...>

I know Jerry, I did exactly the same thing.  Email Hans, he got back to in less than 12 hours with the file I needed.  Maybe he will post some pointers when using avrdudess.

Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...>

Tom
Jerry
Since I had erased my eeprom prior, I don't know it un-checking "disable flash erase" would have helped.  I just know that if you load both, it will work.

73s
Jim
W8JD

Alan G4ZFQ

after the update the screen on the QCX simply says "Use original IC!" and the radio is nonfunctional.  I'm sure I did something stupid. Is there any recourse other than to order a new firmware chip?
Tom,

As others say, contact Hans.
But I was under the impression this should not happen with a pre-programmed chip. The fuses should have been set so the EEPROM is not erased.
Perhaps Hans could comment?

Maybe someone could check the fuse settings of their QCX? I say check.. not alter.

Hi Alan

Yes, theoretically, the fuses should be set with "preserve EEPROM contents during chip erase" but it is possible for people to change the fuse settings too, so who knows... anyway I have contacted both Tom and Jerry off-list to help them sort out their chips.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 8:53 AM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
>after the update the screen on the QCX simply says "Use original
> IC!" and the radio is nonfunctional.  I'm sure I did something stupid.
> Is there any recourse other than to order a new firmware chip?

Tom,

As others say, contact Hans.
But I was under the impression this should not happen with a
pre-programmed chip. The fuses should have been set so the EEPROM is not
erased.
Perhaps Hans could comment?

Maybe someone could check the fuse settings of their QCX? I say check..
not alter.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Luc ON7DQ

You guys scare me to death (well, almost ...)

I did an upgrade to T1.00e before, using a USBASP + 10pin-6pin adapter , and following KE7HR’s instructions
I didn't have any problem then, and I didn't tick any of the options as far as I know.
I thought that if there is no EEPROM file specified, nothing bad would happen (nothing erased or written) ?

I'm a bit scared to do the upgrade now, reading all these horror stories !
Maybe Paul KE7HR can clarify a bit ?

Luc ON7DQ

sean

Thanks Hans,
Great information, this has been an incredible kit from start to finish.

Thx again
Sean
De kc2lwx

Alan G4ZFQ

I'm a bit scared to do the upgrade now, reading all these horror stories !
Luc,

Attached, my Averdudess settings. I just updated OK.
Read the fuses, if they are as shown then it should work.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Luc ON7DQ

Tnx Alan,

that is what I used before, will try the update if I can sort out another problem
Avrdudess won't Detect my USBASP now, all I get is this :

avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 1500000 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude.exe: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude.exe: initialization failed, rc=-1
             Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.
avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

The driver is ok in device manager, so I'm a bit puzzled.
I didn't use the USBASP since that last update of the QCX to T1.00e.
This is of course not related to the QCX, sri for using the bandwidth , but anyone having a good tip ?

Luc ON7DQ

Alan G4ZFQ

Avrdudess won't Detect my USBASP now, all I get is this :
avrdude.exe: set SCK frequency to 1500000 Hz
avrdude.exe: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
The driver is ok in device manager, so I'm a bit puzzled.
I didn't use the USBASP since that last update of the QCX to T1.00e.
Luc,

When I first tried I had problems at 1.5MHz, had to use 187.5KHz before I received no errors. Since then I set it there for safety.
Some of the Ebay USBasps had older firmware but did not give me any actual failures. I had warnings regarding the ISP clock. I ignored them and it did work.

There are newer USBasps with the later firmware or they can be updated using a second USBasp.
Near the bottom of this page https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/softrock_auto_bpf-lpf#USBasp I have some notes and links how to do this.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Tom N9GVP

This is just a quick update to say that Hans sent me the necessary file and all is working now.  Thank you, Hans and everyone else who helped with your comments.
73  Tom  N9GVP

Al Holt

I successfully upgraded my 40m QCX's firmware to 1.01a using an Arduino UNO and Avrdudess with in-circuit programming connected to the QCX. It's been a long time since I've done FW updates on my QRP Labs' gear as well getting the QCX fired up and operating again.

I'm impressed with the improvement to the CW decoder! I'll start putting it through its paces again and hopefully get on the air with it, finally!

Thanks for the upgrade!!

73,

--Al
WD4AH

N3MNT

Successful update so thought I would post it here:

This is what worked for me.
Open the hex file at:  http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex
Select all and copy
Open a text editor such as note.
Paste contents and save as T1.01.txt
Go to the file you just saved and rename to T1.01.hex
Open Averdudess
Select your programmer in top line
Click on small box with 3dots next to empty flash box and select the file you just named T1.01.hex
Check the write box under flash.
In upper right corner click detect button to detect the MCU or select AT328 ( detect button also confirms a proper connection with QCX)
Click the "GO" button just under the flash file bar.
DO NOT Click Program on the bottom of the screen.  ( It appears clicking the Program button erases the EEProm.
The file will be flashed ( takes a minute or so) and the QCX display should return to normal.

Josh Boyd

Hans can you contact me as well.  I did send you a message from the website.

Josh

Josh Boyd

And make sure you don't accidentally get your format in Avrdudess set to raw binary instead of auto or intel hex.  I think that's where I screwed up.   I ended up getting boxes at the top of the LCD. Once I reflashed I got the dreaded use original chip message.

Dan Rahn

Looks like I too have joined the "Use original IC!" gang. Hans, can you please help? I realize my mistake now but not sure how to recover.