Topics

#qcx QCX Firmware 1.01 released #qcx

fc911c

Hi,

I’m trying to copy hex file but it’s not displayed in a single column, it’s 3 columns side by side.  Windows 10 Internet Explorer .

Thanks

On Oct 13, 2019, at 5:55 PM, Don DeGregori <don1mh@...> wrote:

Hans,

I did the 1.01a update using the Arduino Uno method. The first attempt, just before hitting Program, I noticed the BS-170's were getting real hot. Pulled plug on everything. Remembered I left rig in WSPR mode. Fired QCX up again and removed all options regarding Beacon/WSPR and back to CW mode. Re-Flashed again.
Done in a few seconds. I think all is well.

Don

Alan G4ZFQ

I’m trying to copy hex file but it’s not displayed in a single column, it’s 3 columns side by side.  Windows 10 Internet Explorer .
RIGHT CLICK http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex. and "save link as" then pick a location to save.

It is possible to copy from a HTML page but not always successful. Select everything:- "Ctrl-A" copy and paste into text file. Rename file .hex

73 Alan G4ZFQ

fc911c

It’s not giving me that option to save link as?

On Oct 14, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

I’m trying to copy hex file but it’s not displayed in a single column, it’s 3 columns side by side. Windows 10 Internet Explorer .
RIGHT CLICK http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex. and "save link as" then pick a location to save.

It is possible to copy from a HTML page but not always successful. Select everything:- "Ctrl-A" copy and paste into text file. Rename file .hex

73 Alan G4ZFQ

fc911c

Never mind I got it. Thanks

On Oct 14, 2019, at 1:11 PM, fc911c via Groups.Io <fc911c=ptd.net@groups.io> wrote:

It’s not giving me that option to save link as?
On Oct 14, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

I’m trying to copy hex file but it’s not displayed in a single column, it’s 3 columns side by side. Windows 10 Internet Explorer .
RIGHT CLICK http://qrp-labs.com/images/qcx/firmware/T1.01a.hex. and "save link as" then pick a location to save.

It is possible to copy from a HTML page but not always successful. Select everything:- "Ctrl-A" copy and paste into text file. Rename file .hex

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Simon Kennedy

Hi all,

I consider myself reasonably competent with computers and I think I've read all the posts on reprogramming the firmware.

I have failed at the second hurdle. I have avrdude/avrdudess (running on Xubuntu 18.04) talking to the QCX using an Arduino Nano.

However, when reading the fuses avrdudess reports that all three are set to 0x00 (see attached screenshot). Should I write the values that Hans has documented or have I missed something?

Suggestions welcome.

73 Simon
G0FCU.

Alan G4ZFQ

when reading the fuses avrdudess reports that all three are set to 0x00 (see attached screenshot). Should I write the values that Hans has documented or have I missed something?
Simon,

There must be something wrong.
Avrdude has no error message but a CQX would not work properly with those fuse settings.
Avrdude does not say "Detected 1e950f = ATmega328P" I'm not sure if it checks before the fuse read process, I think it may not.
Have you tried "Detect"? Has it confirmed that it is actually seeing the chip?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Kelly Jack

Try baud rate 19200

Simon Kennedy

This is curious. I have added the status LED's to the Arduino and they do not show a problem but avrdudess detects the processor and can read the flash memory at 115200 baud (but gives an error at 19200)

I have downloaded G4DUDE and this detects the processor, can read the flash and the fuses but it also reports all three fuses set to 0x00.

I will try avrdudess on a Windows laptop later to see if I get the same results.

Simon.

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 at 07:56, Kelly Jack <kellyjack1968@...> wrote:
Try baud rate 19200

ohwenzelph

 On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 02:39 PM, Simon Kennedy wrote:
However, when reading the fuses avrdudess reports that all three are set to 0x00 (see attached screenshot). Should I write the values that Hans has documented or have I missed something?

Yes
(if you have already programmed it without the fuses set and the chip does not work then you have probably already erased the eep stuff and got the “use original” screen and won’t be able to fix it without the eep file from Hans and are already otherwise screwed)
[Using windows 7, AVRDudess, had to find a program that installed a driver for the USBasp interface (so AVRDuess could recognise the interface and then the interface could recognise the chip in the  qcx), used a Baite betemcu USBasp_H2 interface with a six pin connector, had to select under Programer (-c)

USBasp , http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

Had right clicked to “save as” the T1.01a file to my pc and placed the path to that file in the space under Flash]

What worked for me:

Press Detect under MCU (-p)
read the fuses by pressing the top Read button under Fuses & lock bits, next to the space next to L
set L to 0xF7
set H to 0xD1
set E to 0xFC
(by ‘set’ I mean backspace to erase what is there and type in the correct characters
& those are zeros not ohs)
press the Write button (the one next to the Read button that you just pressed)
under Flash, Write has the dot
under Flash, press the Go button

i probably overpaid a bit for the programming interface

jmh6@...

Hi Andy,

I just got Rasp Pi running. Nice. Pretty polished.

I think you will find Knoppix on pcs MUCH better once you get into it. Klaus Knopper has done a very nice job with it!!

Right now I use Knoppix 3.4 on a VERY old machine.
Knoppix 3.6 on many older machines.
Knoppix 7.2 on many more recent machines.
And the latest Knoppix runs well on EEEPC as well as on recent PCs.

That said: I am typing this on AntiX - 32 bit. Works well with wsjtx, fldigi, jscall even when all running at once. No systemd virus :).

Impressive to me.

Lots of fun :).

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, jmh6@... wrote:

Hi Andy :),

I also have 2 EEE pcs. I plugged as SD into the EEE pc and watched it boot the latest version of Knoppix. Worked like a charm. Even works with Hotspot both plugged into USB of EEE pc and VIA WIFI.

Resizes the screen well and real stuff just works.

Just like Linux is supposed to!!!!

Lots of fun :).

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 01:22 PM, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
On Linux Mint 19.2:

Put tarfile in my /home/jim/Aps folder
Right click and select "extract here"
Open G4DUDE folder, right click "library.zip" file, select "extract here"
Double click G4DUDE icon
Program starts and runs normally
Exactly the same as my LM 18.3
As for AntiX, I used to have it on the XYL's old and ancient Asus EEE PC, but it was not friendly for her ;-)
For old PC's, it might be better to go for Raspbian desktop (actually it's Debian  with the Raspberry Pixel desktop).
Runs like a rocket on that old single core 900Mhz CPU and 1Gig RAM.
And does all the radio bits too, like AVRDUDE and QRSS grabbing software etc.
The PC version for x86 cpu's is here - https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
73 de Andy

Roy Appleton

So what are the fundamental differences between Knoppix and AntiX. Why do you use both?

Roy
WA0YMH

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, jmh6@... wrote:

> Hi Andy :),
>
>   I also have 2 EEE pcs. I plugged as SD into the EEE pc and watched it boot
> the latest version of Knoppix. Worked like a charm. Even works with Hotspot
> both plugged into USB of EEE pc and VIA WIFI.
>
>   Resizes the screen well and real stuff just works.
>
>   Just like Linux is supposed to!!!!
>
>   Lots of fun :).
>

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 01:22 PM, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
>>       On Linux Mint 19.2:
>>
>>       Put tarfile in my /home/jim/Aps folder
>>       Right click and select "extract here"
>>       Open G4DUDE folder, right click "library.zip" file, select "extract
>> here"
>>       Double click G4DUDE icon
>>       Program starts and runs normally
>>
>> Exactly the same as my LM 18.3
>>
>> As for AntiX, I used to have it on the XYL's old and ancient Asus EEE PC,
>> but it was not friendly for her ;-)
>> For old PC's, it might be better to go for Raspbian desktop (actually it's
>> Debian  with the Raspberry Pixel desktop).
>> Runs like a rocket on that old single core 900Mhz CPU and 1Gig RAM.
>> And does all the radio bits too, like AVRDUDE and QRSS grabbing software
>> etc.
>>
>> The PC version for x86 cpu's is here -
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
>>
>> 73 de Andy

James Daldry W4JED

Hi, Roy

Last I knew Knoppix was intended as a "live CD" operating system, and Klauss Knopper would get upset with you if you tried to install it to a hard drive. What with fast SD cards and USB thumb drives these days the "live CD" boots and runs about as fast as an old IDE hard drive. Antix has a proper installer, so it goes onto the hard drive easily, and this allows you to install software from the entire Debian Stretch tree, which is over 50 thousand packages.

Last I used Knoppix it started up with the whole Compiz bling setup - desktop cube, wobbly windows, magic lamp, smoke and fire when you closed an application, etc, etc. Fun.

73

Jim W4JED

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, jmh6@... wrote:

> Hi Andy :),
>
>   I also have 2 EEE pcs. I plugged as SD into the EEE pc and watched it boot
> the latest version of Knoppix. Worked like a charm. Even works with Hotspot
> both plugged into USB of EEE pc and VIA WIFI.
>
>   Resizes the screen well and real stuff just works.
>
>   Just like Linux is supposed to!!!!
>
>   Lots of fun :).
>

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 01:22 PM, James Daldry W4JED wrote:
>>       On Linux Mint 19.2:
>>
>>       Put tarfile in my /home/jim/Aps folder
>>       Right click and select "extract here"
>>       Open G4DUDE folder, right click "library.zip" file, select "extract
>> here"
>>       Double click G4DUDE icon
>>       Program starts and runs normally
>>
>> Exactly the same as my LM 18.3
>>
>> As for AntiX, I used to have it on the XYL's old and ancient Asus EEE PC,
>> but it was not friendly for her ;-)
>> For old PC's, it might be better to go for Raspbian desktop (actually it's
>> Debian  with the Raspberry Pixel desktop).
>> Runs like a rocket on that old single core 900Mhz CPU and 1Gig RAM.
>> And does all the radio bits too, like AVRDUDE and QRSS grabbing software
>> etc.
>>
>> The PC version for x86 cpu's is here -
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
>>
>> 73 de Andy

Simon Kennedy

I used avrdudess in Windows and it worked ok. Not sure what I did wrong in Linux (and I'm sure it's something I did).

 On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 02:39 PM, Simon Kennedy wrote:
However, when reading the fuses avrdudess reports that all three are set to 0x00 (see attached screenshot). Should I write the values that Hans has documented or have I missed something?

jmh6@...

Hi Roy :),

I discovered that I could boot any linux OS from an SD plugged into an SD <-> USB2 adapter and boot from it. No install was necessary on the 'main' hard drive.

Knowing this, I can easily switch from one OS to another. Right now I have a pile of 10 different Linuxs of which I use occasionally 3 or 4. In earlier days some software would work with one version but not another. For example, some time ago, only Debian had its printer drivers installed correctly. So to print, I just plug in Debian.

This has led me to use the 'main' hard drive for just data. I also leave the original OS, typically windoze, intact. That way I can re-init I/O and recover from any subtle Microsoft games by just rebooting the old version of Windows.

The huge arduino software, for example, is on the 'main' hard drive. It works with any version of Linux of the right number of bits.

Avrdude seems to like 64 bit linux for whatever reason.

I can easily backup a whole linux image and its data by simply image copying that SD to a USB hard drive file. I can then copy that linux version to a brand new SD. I have real backup!! [ I have tested this and it works :) ].

Which is better you ask?? Knoppix is solid and works well especially with older hardware. AntiX does not have the 'systemd' virus as I have heard it called. Boots quickly and 'just works'.

I hope this helps answer your question??

For fun, I can plug in the Tails distribution and become more or less anonymous. I can look at what the news looks like in China. It is fun to try to log into a US banking site with tails. The bank's software thinks you are somewhere else :).

Or start some version of bitcoin. I put the huge bitcoin data files on a USB hard drive with the bitcoin software itself on an SD.

I love to play as most of us here do !!

Fun to play Linux, qrp-labs, ham radio and electronics in general!!!

Lots of fun :).

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019, Roy Appleton wrote:

So what are the fundamental differences between Knoppix and AntiX. Why do
you use both?
Roy
WA0YMH
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019, 9:33 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:

Hi Andy,

    I just got Rasp Pi running. Nice. Pretty polished.

    I think you will find Knoppix on pcs MUCH better once you
get into it.
Klaus Knopper has done a very nice job with it!!

    Right now I use Knoppix 3.4 on a VERY old machine.
    Knoppix 3.6 on many older machines.
    Knoppix 7.2 on many more recent machines.
    And the latest Knoppix runs well on EEEPC as well as on
recent PCs.

    That said: I am typing this on AntiX - 32 bit. Works well
with wsjtx,
fldigi, jscall even when all running at once. No systemd virus
:).

    Impressive to me.

    Lots of fun :).

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 10:20 PM, <jmh6@...> wrote:
I discovered that I could boot any linux OS from an SD plugged into an SD <-> USB2 adapter and boot from it. No install was necessary on the 'main' hard drive.
Yep, Linux, it's what YOU want.

Boot it from an sd card.
Boot it from a usb stick
Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
Boot from an external HD.
No licence
Share it with anyone
Make your own versions
No driver problems
No privacy issues
1000's more geek utils
Free Office software
Choice of desktops and window managers
Source code available, customise as you wish
Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run  a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
Can update with no reboots.
Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
Uses less memory than anything Windows
Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
You can run Linux on any PC.
98% of worlds super computers run it.
Very low RAM usage.
Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
No forced updates.
Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!

Take back control, use Linux.

- Andy -

Let's add..

Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
QSSTV
WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc  etc
VOACAP propagation odelling
XNEC antenna modelling
PA2OHH oscope
QRSS grabber software
Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program

I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)

- Andy -

[...]

So True!!

I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real linux?

The war between 'secure' boot and open source!

Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).

Lots of fun!!

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Dale Putnam

Want to try out Linux on  a laptop for not a lot ??  I have a source for capable laptop with Linux already there ready to use   Email me direct for me info
daleputnam@...

R. Tyson

You covered all the benefits of Linux very well Andy.
I have been using it, mainly Debian, for at least 15 years as my main operating system. I find Windows very restrictive and frustrating to use - the only time I do use it is when sorting out my wife's computer.

I just love typing in...
   apt-get update
   apt-get upgrade
and then sitting and watching the whole operating system and its apps automatically update to the latest version of everything that is installed. No need to reboot either it just does it and it just works and all done in a few minutes.

Reg       G4NFR

Al Gritzmacher AE2T

Quote: (if you have already programmed it without the fuses set and the chip does not work then you have probably already erased the eep stuff and got the “use original” screen and won’t be able to fix it without the eep file from Hans and are already otherwise screwed)

So, if I'm at that point - the detailed instructions I followed made no mention of saving the eeprom contents, or that they would be overwritten - where do I get this secret eep file?