Topics

QCX+ problem - no CAT, continuous 5V on PTT #qcx #problem #cat #building

robert.k5pi@...

My 20M QCX+ is working well, but I can't get CAT to work.  Tried three different programs (N1MM, DX4WIN, TR4W), recommended settings and others as well.

I finished my 50W PA and noticed that when I plug the PTT cable (stereo) between the QCX+ and amp, the amp immediately keys.  I checked and see 5V on the PTT line all the time, during both TX and RX.

Related problems?  Any suggestions of what to check?  Thanks -
--
Robert K5PI

Ronald Taylor

Hi Robert. On your second issue, please refer to pages 100 and 101 of the manual where it tells how to either modify a standard stereo cord or the QCX+ key output so amplifier keying will work properly.... 73 ... Ron

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 9:27 AM <robert.k5pi@...> wrote:
My 20M QCX+ is working well, but I can't get CAT to work.  Tried three different programs (N1MM, DX4WIN, TR4W), recommended settings and others as well.

I finished my 50W PA and noticed that when I plug the PTT cable (stereo) between the QCX+ and amp, the amp immediately keys.  I checked and see 5V on the PTT line all the time, during both TX and RX.

Related problems?  Any suggestions of what to check?  Thanks -
--
Robert K5PI

N3MNT

what serial TTL interface are you using for the CAT commands and how is it connected ( signal lines)

robert.k5pi@...

Oops!  Thanks Ron.  That was my problem with PTT for the amp.
--
Robert K5PI

robert.k5pi@...

I have a USB FTDI serial interface.  Don't remember the brand, but it works on other radios.  I have a homebrew DB9 to 3.5mm adapter that I use on Elecraft devices.  It is wired with
TIP - RX from the PC
RING - TX to the PC
SLEEVE - ground

I realize the RXD and TXD terms are relative.  Anyone know if the wiring is the same as Elecraft?
--
Robert K5PI

dbauer@...

read section 3.77 in the online manual.
Dave

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 2:00 PM <robert.k5pi@...> wrote:
I have a USB FTDI serial interface.  Don't remember the brand, but it works on other radios.  I have a homebrew DB9 to 3.5mm adapter that I use on Elecraft devices.  It is wired with
TIP - RX from the PC
RING - TX to the PC
SLEEVE - ground

I realize the RXD and TXD terms are relative.  Anyone know if the wiring is the same as Elecraft?
--
Robert K5PI

robert.k5pi@...

Thanks to a private reply, I think I understand the problem.  My adapter is USB-RS232.  I only learned recently the difference.  I guess my RS232 adapter is not responding to the lower TTL voltages of the QCX+.
--
Robert K5PI

Ham Radio

Make sure you have the correct speed on the COMM port on the PC and correct wiring on the connector — all in the manual.

You can connect to the QCX via a serial  terminal program such as TeraTerm.

Note  that the CAT command sequence to the QCX  must have no idle time between each character.

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF
(most typos in this message have been generated by highly sophisticated auto-correction software)

Ham Radio

Robert

Did you get your CAT issue sorted out?