Topics

QCX-mini coloured case

Ross Wilson

Hans,

You have already decided that the QCX-mini will be sold with and without the black anodized case, which is fine, of course.

One possible solution to those wanting other colours is to see if your supplier of cases would be willing to sell one-off versions of the "QCX-mini case" in a range of colours, possibly through AliExpress.  People wanting that special colour would contact the seller direct.  The coloured case would cost more than the standard QRPLabs case, of course.

You already have had dealings with your case supplier, and would have some idea if this is a crazy idea or not :)

Ross AC3DN

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 10:54 HF via groups.io, <incorridge=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I like my yellow and red UV-3Rs. Makes them easy to find with poor lighting.  Maybe I'll put some bright electrical tape on my mini-QCX so that when I drop it, the next hiker will find it, realize how cool it is, get a ham license, and join our hobby.  Those at the other end of the spectrum (heh, heh) might wrap theirs with camoflage tape.
Halden VE7UTS

The Crunchbird

If you REALLY want a colored case (coloured for the Brits) you can buy these same size cases from Chinese sources such as alibaba in a really tacky gold color as well as red and I believe blue. I have not checked lately but then I would choose black as it is much better looking.
Dave. N2SN ex G4FEB

Ross Wilson

Hi Dave,

Yes the case *style* is available, but I thought Hans had his cases cut to a length special for the QCX.  With the volume Hans is buying that won't be too costly.  I don't know if it would even be possible for a one-off purchase.  Also, with your idea you won't get any holes in the case for controls and display.  I've got a lot of those styles of cases holding bits of kit and it's painful (literally!) cutting those holes with hand tools.  Shortening the length is very difficult without the proper tools.

My thinking is, if the supplier is amenable, you would get the cut case, right length and cutouts, in the colour you want.  Probably without markings.

Ross AC3DB

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 12:32 The Crunchbird, <pulsedevil@...> wrote:
If you REALLY want a colored case (coloured for the Brits) you can buy these same size cases from Chinese sources such as alibaba in a really tacky gold color as well as red and I believe blue. I have not checked lately but then I would choose black as it is much better looking.
Dave. N2SN ex G4FEB

Greg Winterflood

Why bother Hans with frippery?

This site has turned into a "Girls like pink" and "Republicans like Trump" site. It is ridiculous.

Let the man deal with diodes, PCBs, connectors, inductors, transistors, ICs etc. He is very good with those things. I bought my first Hans kit 7 years ago.

There was none of this silliness then. It is sad to see the intellectual level of kit building descend to "What colour I want".  I would like everything to be the colour of my dead Mother's breadboard - but I am not going to ask Hans to produce that.

Ross, sit back. Your contribution will have been noticed in China, and before you know it, you'll be able to choose Tutti Frutti on eBay for you enclosure.

Greg
--
Dr Greg Winterflood VK8KMD
Alice Springs, Central Australia

Ross Wilson

Hi Greg,

I asked Hans' opinion on whether the case supplier could manage that option.  I didn't suggest that Hans gets involved in manufacture or supply of coloured cases in anyway.

I too am hanging out for the QSX and QCX-mini, but I'm sure that Hans won't spend any time towards an idea if he thinks it's a waste of his time.

Without turning my head I can see over thirty pieces of kit I've built over the years, and they, metal or plastic, are uniformly black.  I would like to being able to find something without pawing through all those boxes which are stacked high and deep on one small shelf.  You may think of this as "silliness", but if you do, have you removed all the colour rings from your scope probes, used only one colour LEDs (red, of course) in your projects, etc :)

I suspect I'm a bit like Hans in this case, a traditionalist.  Black is the correct colour, especially crinkle finish, but you can't get that an anodized aluminium, yet.

Ross

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 13:14 Greg Winterflood, <greg.winterflood@...> wrote:
[...]

Peter GM0EUL

You can paint it yourself.  Start with an etch primer to key the surface then use an acrylic synthetic enamel like Plastikote.  They do a range called twist and spray that's widely available including on Amazon.  It's very easy, very forgiving and looks stunning.
73
Peter GM0EUL

morseoneuk

I had wondered  when someone was going to state the obvious!    " PAINT"   well said Peter..
why would anyone want to complicate the simple issue of case colour / color choice.

On Sunday, 20 September 2020, 08:13:47 BST, Peter GM0EUL <gm0eul@...> wrote:

You can paint it yourself.  Start with an etch primer to key the surface then use an acrylic synthetic enamel like Plastikote.  They do a range called twist and spray that's widely available including on Amazon.  It's very easy, very forgiving and looks stunning.
73
Peter GM0EUL

Ross Wilson

Paint sounds ideal.  Tried painting anodized aluminium?  I have, and failed, though I'm told it's possible, with care.  But I would rather own a scratched plain aluminium case than a scratched and peeling painted case.

Ross AC3DN

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020, 14:32 morseoneuk via groups.io, <morseoneuk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I had wondered  when someone was going to state the obvious!    " PAINT"   well said Peter..
why would anyone want to complicate the simple issue of case colour / color choice.

On Sunday, 20 September 2020, 08:13:47 BST, Peter GM0EUL <gm0eul@...> wrote:

You can paint it yourself.  Start with an etch primer to key the surface then use an acrylic synthetic enamel like Plastikote.  They do a range called twist and spray that's widely available including on Amazon.  It's very easy, very forgiving and looks stunning.
73
Peter GM0EUL

RACHAEL SANDERS

There’s always something to mither on!
Some people are never happy if they don’t have something to moan about or mither on.

Anodised black with white lettering looks professional.
Let Hans get the QCX Mini and QSX done and dusted. They’ll both be great rigs!

On 20 Sep 2020, at 08:58, Ross Wilson <rzzzwilson@...> wrote:

[...]

Hans Summers

Hello Dave, Ross

Yes the aluminium extrusion profile is not unique to QRP Labs. But the length of the cut is, as is the drilling pattern for the end plates, the CNC milling of the LCD cutout, and the laser-etched printing.

Note that I manufacture in batches of 500. Volume is the key. To do the drilling, CNC, anodizing and laser etching for a small volume is very expensive. For example, the prototype enclosure (which should arrive here later this week) costs almost $500, for ONE enclosure. It's not the aluminium which costs, it's the engineering, holes, cutting, laser etching, etc. I do get back most of this cost back when I place the order, however :-)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 8:48 AM Ross Wilson <rzzzwilson@...> wrote:
[...]

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

If somebody really wants a QCX+ or other QRP Labs rig with a tad more color, they could consider getting the extrusion in another color from an Asian source and cutting it down to size themselves. (I don't know how difficult that would be.) That might scratch the itch without breaking the bank.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 3:24 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
[...]

Trystan G0KAY

I'd be delighted with a black one myself.

Incidentally I think it's etch primer that would work if you wanted to spray the thing after?

Hans Summers

SMD components arrived yesterday. I built a QCX-mini, it doesn't quite work somehow... TX works fine, 4.5W output on 20m using 12V supply... but there's something not quite right in the audio. I'm debugging  and building another for 30m... since I have enough parts to build two prototypes.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 11:26 Trystan G0KAY <trystandavies+nodirect@...> wrote:
I'd be delighted with a black one myself.

Incidentally I think it's etch primer that would work if you wanted to spray the thing after?

Brent DeWitt

Does anyone have a link to a complete dimensional drawing for the case extrusion?  I'll build a Fusion 360 model for 3D printing and upload it to the group if I can find one.
--
Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

Trystan G0KAY

It does take away sales from QRP-Labs though, especially as a case will be available from them.

Brent DeWitt

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but you're right.  I retract the request and offer with apologies to Hans.
--
Brent DeWitt, AB1LF
Milford, MA

namerati@...

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 12:40:54AM -0700, Trystan G0KAY wrote:
It does take away sales from QRP-Labs though, especially as a case will be available from them.
Hans has said that a case-less version will be made available specifically for people who want to 3D print a case, for example for weight-saving reasons (in my, err, case) or to add additional features like a built-in battery, paddle, and speaker.

Therefore, if Hans wants to make this easier by releasing drawings, it would be much appreciated!