Topics

QCX Messages Repeating

Curt M.

I just tried my QCX which hasn’t been used since I upgraded to C1.05. When I play any message it I finally repeats. Interval is set to 0 and Repeat is set for 0.

Any ideas?

Curt

Curt M.

Not it finally. It infinitely repeats.

Curt M.

The one above was my 20m QCX. Just tested the 40m and it’s doing the same thing.

Curt

You mean repeats after some long time ?

I don't know any of the following for sure, but as a software geek I know what can go wrong in code.

Until we hear a formal response, try setting the repeat count to 1, and anything for the interval. It looks like "0" is interpreted by the firmware as "forever", and "0" in the interval is interpreted as the minimum interval of, maybe, a word gap.

Julian N4JO.

On 6/27/2020 10:28 PM, Curt M. wrote:

I just tried my QCX which hasn’t been used since I upgraded to C1.05. When I play any message it I finally repeats. Interval is set to 0 and Repeat is set for 0.

Any ideas?

Curt

I just caught your correction, Curt.

Yes, 0 (zero) is often programmed to be interpreted as "forever" or "no limit" in software.

Julian N4JO.

On 6/27/2020 10:47 PM, Julian Opificius wrote:

You mean repeats after some long time ?

I don't know any of the following for sure, but as a software geek I know what can go wrong in code.

Until we hear a formal response, try setting the repeat count to 1, and anything for the interval. It looks like "0" is interpreted by the firmware as "forever", and "0" in the interval is interpreted as the minimum interval of, maybe, a word gap.

Julian N4JO.

On 6/27/2020 10:28 PM, Curt M. wrote:

I just tried my QCX which hasn’t been used since I upgraded to C1.05. When I play any message it I finally repeats. Interval is set to 0 and Repeat is set for 0.

Any ideas?

Curt

Curt M.

The settings are 0-99. It’s set for 0 and repeats. I think I tried 1 and it still repeated. I’ll check it again in the morning. Seems odd that both work the same way and never did that before.

Curt

N3MNT

I am running 1.05 and use repeat and have not seen this issue.  Works as it did before.

Ditto.

On 6/28/2020 6:42 AM, N3MNT wrote:
I am running 1.05 and use repeat and have not seen this issue.  Works as it did before.

Curt M.

Ok, so now for the dumb question. To only play the message one time when I press the button to send the message should repeat be set for 0 or 1?

Curt

George Korper

This may not apply in your situation, but I have trouble getting a short press on the encoder. You have to be very quick. Same on push buttons. This may cause errors like I see in trying to use the frequency presets.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 08:27 PM, Curt M. wrote:
Ok, so now for the dumb question. To only play the message one time when I press the button to send the message should repeat be set for 0 or 1?

Curt
 REPEAT: Transmit the message repeatedly by pressing the left button
 ONCE: Transmit the message only once by pressing the centre button
 CANCEL: Cancel the messages operation by pressing the right button

George Korper

Now we're getting somewhere!

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020, 8:19 PM N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 08:27 PM, Curt M. wrote:
Ok, so now for the dumb question. To only play the message one time when I press the button to send the message should repeat be set for 0 or 1?

Curt
 REPEAT: Transmit the message repeatedly by pressing the left button
 ONCE: Transmit the message only once by pressing the centre button
 CANCEL: Cancel the messages operation by pressing the right button

Curt M.

I’ll have to test this again. I have 100’s of QSOs on both my 40m and 20m QCX so I was surprised when this happened last night. I was also tired after nearly 12 hours of working phone and FT8 for Field Day and decided to setup the QCXs and get some CW QSOs. I thought I was doing everything as I always have but let me check and I’ll report back.

Curt

Curt,

Set it to 1.

i.e. think of it as "send this number of times", not "repeat this number of times"

Julian N4JO.

On 6/28/2020 7:27 PM, Curt M. wrote:
Ok, so now for the dumb question. To only play the message one time when I press the button to send the message should repeat be set for 0 or 1?

Curt

Yes. Pressing the center button once more after selecting the message will send it only once, "irregardless" (hee hee !!!) of the repeat count, but the fact remains that if the repeat count is set to "1", then if you press the left button it will only send the message once.

Julian N4JO.

On 6/28/2020 8:19 PM, N3MNT wrote:
On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 08:27 PM, Curt M. wrote:
Ok, so now for the dumb question. To only play the message one time when I press the button to send the message should repeat be set for 0 or 1?

Curt
 REPEAT: Transmit the message repeatedly by pressing the left button
 ONCE: Transmit the message only once by pressing the centre button
 CANCEL: Cancel the messages operation by pressing the right button

Curt M.

Ok guys N3MNT is correct. I just tested it and I was pressing the left button which makes it repeat forever. Repeat should be set for 0 which is where I’ve had it all along.  Setting repeat to 1 will make it play twice, in other words it plays once and repeat once  Setting it to 0 makes it play only once as long as you press the right knob to trigger the message

I was pressing the set button to trigger the message instead of the right knob. Evidently that’s the first time that I did that because I’ve never had that happen before. Just a brain flatulence I guess.

Looks like page 81 of the manual also needs changed being that the older firmware for the messages states that the repeat selection is a List type which means you used to be able to select 1-99 or Ad Infimum. The Ad Infimum selection is no longer a choice, instead you press the left button.

Thanks to N3MNT for his help.

Curt

I don't know what software version you're using, because mine is running 1.05, and doesn't do that.

Repeat set to 1, interval set to 1, press center button once, select message, press left button. Message plays once.

I'll record a video to demonstrate if you you like :-)

In fact, it never even occurred to me to press the center button a second time until this discussion.

Julian N4JO.