Topics

QCX+ mechanical problem

K3YV

I just finished the 40m QCX+ radio. I had problems assembling the read-out circuit board.
1. The trouble was with the nylon nut (and black screw) located near the volume control. The nylon nut was simply too large to fit next to the volume pot. I had to file down one side of the nut to allow it to sit next to the pot (R1). Doing this allowed the nut to center on the black screw.
2. Also, the nylon nut that is near the rotary counter, sits on top of a solder pad when drawn tight to the PC board. That does not seem right. Did anyone else have this problem? This is production version 1.05. I just received and built it this week.

Hans Summers

Hi K3YV

This is normal. And not as bad as you say :-)

I was constrained by the dimensions... the necessary relative positions of the LCD and the rotary controls just left very little room for that bolt and its plastic spacers; nevertheless they are necessary. That's why it is all a bit of a tight squeeze. But it DOES all fit!

These little white plastic nuts are quite susceptible to the application of unreasonable brutality, just a little violence also known as the application of unreasonable torque to the black screw in each corner of the LCD module, will bring those plastic nuts into line. If you wish you can make the job quite a lot easier by drilling out the thread of the 7mm spacer and one set of 4 nuts (NOT all of them!) using a 3mm or 1/8th inch drill bit. This makes them slide on to the screw more easily and move a bit more so that they easily fit into that tight space by the rotary encoder at the bottom right corner of the LCD module.

Patience and persistance will win the day. No retreat, no surrender.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 7:32 PM K3YV <eeb3568@...> wrote:
I just finished the 40m QCX+ radio. I had problems assembling the read-out circuit board.
1. The trouble was with the nylon nut (and black screw) located near the volume control. The nylon nut was simply too large to fit next to the volume pot. I had to file down one side of the nut to allow it to sit next to the pot (R1). Doing this allowed the nut to center on the black screw.
2. Also, the nylon nut that is near the rotary counter, sits on top of a solder pad when drawn tight to the PC board. That does not seem right. Did anyone else have this problem? This is production version 1.05. I just received and built it this week.

K3YV

Thanks much. I did take your advice but still had to file the nut to get it to fit. All ended well. 73

N3MNT

Once it is assembled as best as you can get it, You will never notice it.

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Filing a nut to get it to fit is good practice for scratch building gear:)

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 9/11/20 12:57 PM, K3YV wrote:
Thanks much. I did take your advice but still had to file the nut to get it to fit. All ended well. 73

Sheldon Hartling

Hi Elwood,

I didn’t find It necessary to drill out any nuts/spacers.  I did however find it useful to cut down two of the nylon nuts.
Details (pictures) here.

73, Sheldon VE1GPY

Jim Manley

I haven't found it necessary to drill/file/sand any nuts, but I do occasionally find that scratching them to be beneficial during extended build sessions.  Scratching a line on a nut and the PC board helps identify their correct orientation when adequately tightened if I have to disassemble and reassemble boards - what was your mind-in-the-gutter thinking?  I will now return to my hidey-hole to avoid massive incoming flak anyway!

Larry Taylor

Everybody building the + has dealt with this. Grad a piece of sand paper, place it on the bench, grad the nut with fingers (or pliers) and sand away on in 2 of the 6 sides to the nut. It works just great.

Nigel

Hello Sheldon and greetings from sunny South Africa :-)

Will be starting build of my 40M QCX+ once construction of 30M QCX completed (finished metal bashing for enclosure this weekend) and this note to say "thank you" for the series of photographs you have provided to the group re the 'fiddly' front panel assembly. Although I am a 'seasoned' home brewer (started at age 9 many decades ago!), I am always open to learning from others experience and I much appreciate your time and effort in providing record of your QCX+ build experience - thanks again for submitting!

Stay safe and as always remember to KEEPSMILING :-)

73 Nigel ZS6RN ex G8DEV l-o-n-g time ago

Jerry DiPietro

I used a hammer and it fit fine.