Topics

QCX+ Matching Speaker/Power Supply Case?? #case #qcx

Al Holt

Now that I've joined the QCX+ club is seems like a nice idea to have a 'matching' speaker/power supply like so many other big name rigs have. There seems to be a lot of 150mm x 105mm x 55mm black extruded aluminum enclosures available on eBay. I think there's plenty of room in there for an audio amp, mini speaker and smallish power supply. A couple of short pigtails, audio and fused power to the QCX+ and you've got a class act.

Maybe even an authorized third-party could put a kit together.

Just sayin'

--Al

Lex PH2LB

Al, indeed it would be nice to have a matching speaker / powersupply next to the QCX+ for base station operations.

I would buy it :-)

The Crunchbird

Thats a nice idea. A power supply - speaker is an excellent idea. Dave. N2SN

John AK4AT

A small power supply kit with 5V, 12V, 15V, and 20V outputs and a QRP Labs branded enclosure would be great !! (or 5V/12V for U3S and 15V/20V for QCX).

ajparent1/KB1GMX

It only has to work on 100V, 120V 200V 230V ac and both 50 and 60hz mains
and be qualified in more than 13 different countries..  Internationalization is a
pain.

If it uses a transformer it will have to be custom and very costly.  If switchmode
it has to be quiet so the receiver isn't hearing it.

There are many suppliers of said PS out there...

Allison
-------------------------------
Please reply on list so we can share.

Brian Moore

I had been thinking about using the optional dev board to add an internal speaker if I do decide to build the QCX+. I would only need to find a good solution to block the audio when a headphone is plugged in, and I'm not sure if there's enough room in the case for a tiny speaker.

The Crunchbird

The issues are not that bad. There are transformers for linear power supplies that have both 120V and 240V primaries. The international issue does not apply for kits in any European country, Canada or the US. Hans would be quite safe in selling such a kit and I want one!!! Dave. N2SN

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 12:04 AM Brian Moore <eaeu366@...> wrote:
I had been thinking about using the optional dev board to add an internal speaker if I do decide to build the QCX+. I would only need to find a good solution to block the audio when a headphone is plugged in, and I'm not sure if there's enough room in the case for a tiny speaker.

Trystan G0KAY

The enclosure has enough space for a resonant morse speaker tuned to 700Hz.

So fit a tube in there (say. 40mm), approximately 11.8cm long, fit a speaker at one end, mount it in the extruded aluminium enclosure.

Ian VA7ITM

I've just ordered the parts to do this from ICStation... a dual output PSU (only $8.67!!!) to power both the QCX+ and 50W PA and a 10W amp (only $3.99) for audio. These will be in a separate metal enclosure. Just need to add a speaker and some misc hardware. These parts are ridiculously cheap so no worries if it doesn't work out as planned.

The PSU is interesting. It has two outputs; 17V-34V DC @ 4A and 2V-32V @ 5A. I know the price suggests it should be cr*p but I've had a lot of good stuff from ICStation.

Q: The 50W PA needs 20V @ 5A for max output but will the QCX+ be ok if it gets 17V input? I know the recommended range is 7-16V. If not then the 50W PA will just get the 4A output and be slightly down on power.

73 Ian

Evan Hand

Ian,
Maybe you could add 3 diodes in series to drop the 17 volts to 15 volts (approximate) depending on the diode selected.

Just a thought.
73
Evan
AC9TU

Ed Kwik

Why not design your own power supply??? Power supplies are good candidates for a first time homebrew project.?? There are plenty of sites on the web that will help you design your own power supply.?? Here is an example:

https://www.homemade-circuits.com/how-to-design-power-supply-simplest-to/

http://www.qrparci.org/wa0itp/chap8.pdf

https://www.eleccircuit.com/simple-designing-12v-5a-linear-power-supply/

https://www.eleccircuit.com/high-current-12v-30a25a20a15a-ham-radio-power-supply/

Or google "DC power supply design"

Ed
AB8DF

The Crunchbird

Building our own speaker - power supply is something that many of us are capable of but I believe that most of us were looking at the idea of it being in a matching case to the QCX+ Most people would not do a good job on drilling out the case and making it look good. The only downside for Hans is the weight of the transformer. If this is a problem then it could easily be gotten around by Hans specifying a name brand transformer for the kit builder to buy from an international company such as Mouser. There could be one part number for the 220V version and another for the 110V version or a transformer with a dual primary could be specified. This way Hans could provide a matching box, circuit board, speaker, switches and connectors etc. as a kit, Dave. N2SN

Michael N6MST

Would you people stop asking Hans for more stuff?? I want a QSX! :) :) :)

The Crunchbird

Ian, good luck with using a switching power supply as they are notorious as being high frequency noise sources. Dave. N2SN

Ian VA7ITM

Agreed Dave... but a fun experiment nevertheless for the cost of a couple of beers 😀

Al Holt

Thanks to all so far for the comments and enthusiasm!
Hans has said he's got enough on his plate to take on something like this. It seems so easy and yet the devil is in the details.

Could it be as simple as adhesive Mylar 'label' printed with a matching QRP Labs logo and lettering?

I think just a power switch, headphone jack, power indicator room for a speaker is all it needs.

I started looking around for small speaker that would fit in a 55mm high case and that and the grille to cover it might be a sticking point.

Again, maybe an authorized third party could get a bare-bones case going?

--Al
WD4AH

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

Unfortunately those AC operated power supplies have voltage and current capacities that can be lethal between the wall plug and transformer. According to Murphy somebody like Hans QRP Labs will get the crap sued out of them when some putz grabs the energized power line. I stopped talking about making power supplies for other people a while back. My advice is always to buy nice battery and charger if you don't how to make such things.

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 8/27/20 1:20 PM, Al Holt wrote:
Thanks to all so far for the comments and enthusiasm!
Hans has said he's got enough on his plate to take on something like this. It seems so easy and yet the devil is in the details.
Could it be as simple as adhesive Mylar 'label' printed with a matching QRP Labs logo and lettering?
I think just a power switch, headphone jack, power indicator room for a speaker is all it needs.
I started looking around for small speaker that would fit in a 55mm high case and that and the grille to cover it might be a sticking point.
Again, maybe an authorized third party could get a bare-bones case going?
--Al
WD4AH

The Crunchbird

Switch mode power supplies are used in a number of commercial rigs BUT they are designed for low RF radiation. You will need to shield that power supply and possibly add some inductance in the output to get rid of the HF noise. The QCX will likely still work even with that thing sitting next to it but your noise floor will be probably up by about 20dB. Also of note, many cheap switching supplies cannot handle extra capacitance on their output. I have seen many of them simply stall out when extra capacitance was added. Look for a cheap transformer at a hamfest and build up a nice cheap linear supply. Hey you might get lucky and this power supply will work OK for you. Let us all know how it works. Dave. N2SN

Shane Justice

Ditto! Let.let Hans finish some of his projects.

73,
Shane

On Aug 27, 2020 at 08:54, Michael N6MST <mthompson.cob@...> wrote:

Would you people stop asking Hans for more stuff?? I want a QSX! :) :) :)

RACHAEL SANDERS

If what you’re looking is that easy Al you’ve juat found yourself an ‘easy task’ and if so many will buy it.........a nice little sideline!
Now let Hans get on with all his projects especially that QSX development!
73 de
Rachael M1AYG