Topics

QCX+ Display #20m

David Griffiths

Finished my 20m QCX+.  Powered on and adjusted R47 to get a nice display, went through the alignment process, all OK, put top half of case on, all still OK
Powered off, went for lunch, came back, powered on and found a very dim display, barely readable, and adjusting R47 does not make it any better.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

David
G4DMG

Dave

Give it a bit of a tap.  That might change things.  Number one problem with kits is always poor soldering, cold joints, or even an overlooked joint with no solder at all.

Dave

On Sep 8, 2020, at 10:28, David Griffiths <davidmgriffiths42@...> wrote:

Finished my 20m QCX+.  Powered on and adjusted R47 to get a nice display, went through the alignment process, all OK, put top half of case on, all still OK
Powered off, went for lunch, came back, powered on and found a very dim display, barely readable, and adjusting R47 does not make it any better.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

David
G4DMG

David Griffiths

Thanks Dave, a few taps on the back of the display and all was bright again.  Finding the dodgy joint may take longer!

David
G4DMG

Dave

Great.

Last week at our LARC Kit Building session I examined a members soldering, by looking closely at the component side of the board.

When a joint has had the right amount of heat, flux and solder there is a tiny ring of solder around the component lead, filling the gap between lead and top pad. His were uniform and perfect.

Dave

On Sep 8, 2020, at 10:53, David Griffiths <davidmgriffiths42@...> wrote:

Thanks Dave, a few taps on the back of the display and all was bright again.  Finding the dodgy joint may take longer!

David
G4DMG

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Just hit them all with a soldering iron. You'll know it when you find it.

Mike
WM4B

On Sep 8, 2020 10:53 AM, David Griffiths <davidmgriffiths42@...> wrote:
Thanks Dave, a few taps on the back of the display and all was bright again. Finding the dodgy joint may take longer!

David
G4DMG

Michael N6MST

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 07:32 AM, Dave wrote:
Give it a bit of a tap.  That might change things.
That fixed 90% of the problems I ever had with my original Nintendo!