Topics

QCX CW Beacon, v100e still has them, QRSS anyone?

Al Holt

I'm using my QCX-40m as a quasi-QRSS beacon on 40m. The VFO bug reported by VK5EEE is still there in v1.00e firmware. The transmitted frequency follows the active VFO selection and not the set beacon frequency. Also as reported earlier, the clock does not 'tick' (stops counting) when in Tx mode.

For the quasi-QRSS mode I'm setting CW speed to 1 WPM, but still that's too fast for real QRSS. It would be nice to see a way to get this mode implemented in a future version of FW.

THanks!

--Al
WD4AH

Hans Summers

Hi Al

I will look at the transmitter frequency being on the Active VFO selection not the set beacon frequency, and the clock tick issue you report.

The QCX kit supports WSPR and CW beacon mode but has not been claimed to support QRSS!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:
I'm using my QCX-40m as a quasi-QRSS beacon on 40m. The VFO bug reported by VK5EEE is still there in v1.00e firmware. The transmitted frequency follows the active VFO selection and not the set beacon frequency. Also as reported earlier, the clock does not 'tick' (stops counting) when in Tx mode.

For the quasi-QRSS mode I'm setting CW speed to 1 WPM, but still that's too fast for real QRSS. It would be nice to see a way to get this mode implemented in a future version of FW.

THanks!

--Al
WD4AH

Al Holt

Hans,
Yes I understand about QRSS. Thanks for looking into the CW beacon frequency anomaly.

--Al

dl2arl@...

Hello!
the search function of this net is horrible, but it did help me find what I was looking for:
I searched for :
QRSS QCX.

Easy to understand the conversation and the statement from Hans is clear: the QCX never was supposed to sport QRSS.

At least in the past.
Did this change?
Is there hope in the future? Maybe QCX+??

WSPR is fine, but boring after a while :,-(  ... On QCX levels of output power that are almost un-social for the wspr game, the signal goes round and round around the planet, gets repeatedly reported, but sadly nobody cheers.

"Quasi-QRSS" like stated above with 1WPM will have to do for me for a while. I go out in the nature, throw a wire, let the beast call and watch myself scratching dots and dahs on the screen of some webSDR Radio I can read with my cell phone. What a stupid thing to do: even my dog wonders of my doings patiently chewing  on his fake-bone made out of BY-ersatz and waiting to finally go home.

But what else can I do? Less and less people are willing to answer my faint call, even if the signal is there, but not worth the pain of being heard, because it is nothing special in a society driven by performance and the old qrp, as I knew it, remains merely a state of the mind...

Yours friendly, Razvan DL2ARL

Mike Besemer - WM4B

I think the issue is the amount of space on the ATMega328, which is currently full on the QCX.  Perhaps eventually there will be a different firmware build available that will eliminate some functionality in favor of others (AFTER the QSX is complete, of course!)

Mike

WM4B

[...]

Hello all, Hi Mike WM4B,

I sure did make my question on the wrong lane and got miss-understood to the highest possible degree. I appologize for this, beg pardon from you, but sure beg pardon falling on my knees from the trusty QCX!

I have ***N E V E R*** seen a rig so full with functions and options and never dreamed that something marvelous like this could be made available on a large scale to the HAMs all over the world to a price that we could scratch together just by drinking a couple of chilled'ones less.

YESSS! There is genius behind this little rig and you can fell it because in spite of it's generous load of options and functions it still remains usable in the field, when the operators manual is far away. RTFM is inverse here: I keep on finding new and unexpected functions of this rig and not believing that they could be true in such an environment, I begin Reading The Manual just to make sure that what I found is REAL! Just think of the "Allignement" and of the "Test Equipment" functions that allow unexperienced HAMs to bring the brick up and running without having to bother about the dungeons of the quadrature demodulation!

And I as stated two sentences before, the Genius of this little gem lies in the fact that it is so self-explanatory that you can manage it without RTFM. Try this with other rigs...

But coming back to the root of this discussion, the past, present and future availability of QRSS for QCX:

I said QRSS, and meant the old, plain, simple QRSS with sloooow dots and dashes all on the same frequency.  I did  NOT mean what has become nowadays from this old QRSS in terms of FSK and DFCW and GPS synchronized  coherent transmission !

 NO!

Times come when simple words loose their original meaning and grow way above their heads. If I happen to need these fancy new sorts of modern QRSSplus that are usual today, I grab my U3S which is a genial gem of it's own and runs circles around every other beaconing tx.

But I would not DARE to spoil the simplicity and geniality of the QCX as it is now just for the sake of yet another fancy function widely available on the other specialized rig. Let the QCX be what it is. Please! It is perfect as it is.

I was just wondering if if would be possible to further decrease the lowest speeds available on the qcx like they are now, dashes and dots on the same frequency, no FSK, no DFCW, no GPS-cohaerer, just straight, plain, slow CW to fit in a 6 second scheme. Nothing more.

Keep the good things good the way they are good! The Better ist Good's evil friend.
Yours friendly Razvan