Topics

QCX+ case

The Crunchbird

I just received a case from China that has the exact dimensions of the QCX+ case. Check it out here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112311928609
I am posting this for those interested in building either a QRP power supply - speaker or other matching equipment such as a matching ZM4 Antenna tuner.
Dave. N2SN ex G4FEB.

Al Holt

I have one like it on order: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282962440813 and I just got word it has been shipped. I'm going to try and squeeze in power supply, amp and speaker.

Good luck on your project!

--Al

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Nice find! Not cheap but also not prohibitively expensive, and you'll be stylin' with those matching accessories!

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 8:45 PM Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:
I have one like it on order: https://www.ebay.com/itm/282962440813 and I just got word it has been shipped. I'm going to try and squeeze in power supply, amp and speaker.

Good luck on your project!

--Al

Lex PH2LB

I have ordered 2 of them and got noticed that they are handed over to the transporter (so now the waiting starts).

My first idea was to build a power supply / speaker in it, but also like the ZM4 antenna tuner idea (or a PI network based tuner).

Hans Summers

Hi Dave

Just FYI... not the exact dimensions of the QCX+ enclosure!

It is indeed the same aluminium extrusion profile so will be a close match to the QCX+. But the QCX+ depth is 146.6mm including panels (extrusion is cut to 143.6mm). The eBay enclosure is 150mm, I'm not sure if that is including or excluding the panels but either way, its a little deeper than the QCX+ enclosure.

In practice the slightly deeper enclosure won't matter or be noticeable, this eBay enclosure should be a fine match for the QCX+!

73 Hans G0UPL

On Thu, Sep 24, 2020, 03:33 The Crunchbird <pulsedevil@...> wrote:
I just received a case from China that has the exact dimensions of the QCX+ case. Check it out here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112311928609
I am posting this for those interested in building either a QRP power supply - speaker or other matching equipment such as a matching ZM4 Antenna tuner.
Dave. N2SN ex G4FEB.

DL2ARL

Hello,
does somebody have a template to drill the holes for a QCX+ frontplate?

No! I do not want to be penny-wise and cheat poor old Hans on his wonderfull good doings for the case by buying behind his back and drilling the holes on my own. This would be a stupid cheat, because buying the original qrp-labs housing would by far over-compensate the effort of buying slightly cheaper of remote BY-land and  punching the holes  myself. But I need a larger housing for the rig if it is to include batteries, speaker, paddle and maybe even a tuner.
This is why I am asking: asking costs nothing, does not harm.

Yours friendly, Razvan

Christiaan PA3FUN

Hi,

The same case seems to be offered through Aliexpress at a slightly lower price;

€ 11,08  42%OFF | High Quality Aluminum Box Enclosure Case Circuit Board Project Electronic Black 150x105x55mm For Data Board Power Supply Units
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTJn83

73's Christiaan PA3FUN

The Crunchbird

One thing about the case from eBay. Whoever packed it was certainly no genius. The case was wrapped in chinese newspaper and was placed in a thin black plastic mailing bag. The problem was that the tiny black metric screws were simply thrown into the package that arrived with a few small holes in it. Luckily I was lucky as all eight were eventually found either in the newspaper or stuck to the plastic mailing bag. The moral of the story is that you may need to find some screws if any are missing. Why do the Chinese always do things like this??? Wake up China!!!

Hans Summers

Hello Razvan

Anyway buying the similar enclosure from eBay etc and punching your own holes would be no good solution, because that enclosure is 150mm long... it wouldn't fit the depth of the QCX+ PCB, for which the extrusion needs to be cut at 143.6mm. So you'd end up having to saw off several mm of enclosure extrusion, as well as punch the holes and mill the rectangular end-plate. None of which is trivial :-D

I'm attaching my front panel engineering drawing, hope it is useful for you.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com