Topics

ProgRock probs

ian liston-smith

I have two ProgRocks bought and built at the same time.

Both have the regulator components on the main (bigger) board. All 3.5 and 5.0 voltages appear on the correct pins when operated from a 5A 12V linear PSU.

At the moment all bank select pins are left unconnected.

I can't get any useful frequencies out of CLK0, CLK1 or CLK2 on either devices. Swapping the Si5351A boards over makes no difference.

For the sake of simplicity of explanation, when all the DIP switches are in the up position, LED stays on, does not flash when button pressed.  CLK0=27.2MHz, CLK1=27.2MHz, CLK2=211kHz. Frequencies here do not change after button pressed if any DIP switches are altered.

When all DIP switches down, LED flashes and goes out (only after power on/off), CLK0=10MHz, CLK1=0MHz, CLK2=211kHz.

I doubt there is the same component fault on both boards, though it is possible I have made the same error on both boards. Or maybe there is something I misunderstand in operating them.

If I just want 3615 kHz what do I do to get that?

Thank you.

Ian, G4JQT

Alan G4ZFQ

When all DIP switches down, LED flashes and goes out (only after power on/off), CLK0=10MHz, CLK1=0MHz, CLK2=211kHz.
Ian, That's right. Well, not sure what clock 2 does.

If I just want 3615 kHz what do I do to get that?
Have you tried programming a frequency?
It's a little complex, described in the Operating Manual. http://www.qrp-labs.com/images/progrock/op_pr1.02_A4.pdf

73 Alan G4ZFQ

ian liston-smith

Ah, the Operating Manual!

Obvious and embarrassing. I made them at the beginning of lockdown and completely overlooked that and didn't download it. I got distracted with other stuff until now.

Thanks. I'm sure what I need to know is all there.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, G4JQT

> When all DIP switches down, LED flashes and goes out (only after power
> on/off), CLK0=10MHz, CLK1=0MHz, CLK2=211kHz.

Ian, That's right. Well, not sure what clock 2 does.

> If I just want 3615 kHz what do I do to get that?

Have you tried programming a frequency?
It's a little complex, described in the Operating Manual.
http://www.qrp-labs.com/images/progrock/op_pr1.02_A4.pdf

Hi Ian

Remember to ground the 1pps input if you aren't using GPS discipline.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 16:58 ian liston-smith <ian.ls@...> wrote:
Ah, the Operating Manual!

Obvious and embarrassing. I made them at the beginning of lockdown and completely overlooked that and didn't download it. I got distracted with other stuff until now.

Thanks. I'm sure what I need to know is all there.

Thanks and 73,

Ian, G4JQT

> When all DIP switches down, LED flashes and goes out (only after power
> on/off), CLK0=10MHz, CLK1=0MHz, CLK2=211kHz.

Ian, That's right. Well, not sure what clock 2 does.

> If I just want 3615 kHz what do I do to get that?

Have you tried programming a frequency?
It's a little complex, described in the Operating Manual.
http://www.qrp-labs.com/images/progrock/op_pr1.02_A4.pdf

73 Alan G4ZFQ

geoff M0ORE

If you are programming with the DIL switches, make sure you keep a written record of every change. A sample form is in the manual. Easier still if you build a small programmer to do it with PC.