Topics

PA for qcx 40m #qcx40

Darren KN4WML

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Darren,

Just for grins, set up for WSPR and see what you get for spots at http://wspr.aprsinfo.com/.

How much power are you using now?

Mike

WM4B

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren

KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

How much power? That I don't even know yet, I haven't purchased a meter to test yet. I'm looking to get one by the end of the week.   As far as I know I might not even been transmitting at all.

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020, 9:34 PM Mike Besemer - WM4B <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Darren,

Just for grins, set up for WSPR and see what you get for spots at http://wspr.aprsinfo.com/.

How much power are you using now?

Mike

WM4B

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren

KN4WML,

Gary Bernard

What kind of antenna are you using?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

40m horizontal dipole.    It's up to specs, I'd imagine.    It's about 25 or 30 ft in the air, do I need to be higher?

Gregg Myers

Hi Darren,

I looked on the Reverse Beacon Network for your callsign and don’t see anyone spotting you. So with the beacon stations at least, I see no indication you are getting out. If you are not familiar with the Reverse Beacon Network,  all you have to do is call CQ in the normal way (also de your callsign, of course) and you can look online and see if any of the ‘skimmers’ picked up your signal. As long as you are sending reasonably good CW, there are some very good systems around the country that are quite sensitive and will pick up your signal and report the signal strength. The link is here:

If you don’t have another radio, you could also pull up a close by webSDR radio online and see if you can hear yourself sending.

Good Luck & 73,
Gregg

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:46 PM Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
What kind of antenna are you using?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Gary Bernard

The antenna should be fine. You don’t perchance have your rig on practice mode?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:46 PM, Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2@...> wrote:

What kind of antenna are you using?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Gregg Myers

Darren,

For a reference for you, my wire antenna is 23 feet in the air and I just called CQ one time with 3 watts on 7046. You can see I had 3 hits on the Reverse Beacon Network. It’s a really nice tool to see if your signal is getting out.

73,
Gregg

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 9:01 PM Gregg Myers via groups.io <gregg.w7grm=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

RBN *can* be a useful tool. There have been times I can hit several of those and get no QSO. There are times when no RBN station reports me BUT I get a qso pretty quickly. So, useful as RBN is the results are not chiseled in granite.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

http://www.reversebeacon.net/main.php

<mailto:darrent78@...>> wrote:

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful
to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+-
feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't
seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have
enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

I'm going to do more looking into to all these options I've gotten from everyone one. I need to learn more about the WSPR & beacons settings on it. I reckon I just need to be a little more patient, I'd assume.    And yes it's in the cw mode, not practice.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Darren,
KN4WML,

Don VE3IDS

Darren

Go to reverse beacon network and search for your call sign after calling CQ a few times. You will see where your signal is being heard.

73 Don ve3ids

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:46 PM, Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

What kind of antenna are you using?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

I'm going to try the RBN later on this evening, and see what happens. Hopefully I can get some results on this issue. If not I'll go through the installation again to see if I fumbled something around

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, 6:48 AM Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:
[...]

Ed Kwik

Have you checked yourself on the Reverse Beacon Network?

Ed  AB8DF