Topics

PA for qcx 40m #qcx40

Darren KN4WML

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Mike Besemer - WM4B

Darren,

Just for grins, set up for WSPR and see what you get for spots at http://wspr.aprsinfo.com/.

How much power are you using now?

Mike

WM4B

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Darren KN4WML
Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2020 9:29 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: [QRPLabs] PA for qcx 40m #qcx40

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+- feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have enough powertpower get out?

Darren

KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

How much power? That I don't even know yet, I haven't purchased a meter to test yet. I'm looking to get one by the end of the week.   As far as I know I might not even been transmitting at all.   

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020, 9:34 PM Mike Besemer - WM4B <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Darren,

Just for grins, set up for WSPR and see what you get for spots at http://wspr.aprsinfo.com/.

Mike

WM4B

Darren

KN4WML,

Gary Bernard

What kind of antenna are you using?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...> wrote:

Darren
KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

40m horizontal dipole.    It's up to specs, I'd imagine.    It's about 25 or 30 ft in the air, do I need to be higher? 

Gregg Myers

Hi Darren,

I looked on the Reverse Beacon Network for your callsign and don’t see anyone spotting you. So with the beacon stations at least, I see no indication you are getting out. If you are not familiar with the Reverse Beacon Network,  all you have to do is call CQ in the normal way (also de your callsign, of course) and you can look online and see if any of the ‘skimmers’ picked up your signal. As long as you are sending reasonably good CW, there are some very good systems around the country that are quite sensitive and will pick up your signal and report the signal strength. The link is here: 

If you don’t have another radio, you could also pull up a close by webSDR radio online and see if you can hear yourself sending.

Good Luck & 73,
Gregg

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:46 PM Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Darren
KN4WML,

Gary Bernard

The antenna should be fine. You don’t perchance have your rig on practice mode?

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:46 PM, Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2@...> wrote:

Darren
KN4WML,

Gregg Myers

Darren,

For a reference for you, my wire antenna is 23 feet in the air and I just called CQ one time with 3 watts on 7046. You can see I had 3 hits on the Reverse Beacon Network. It’s a really nice tool to see if your signal is getting out.

Gregg

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 9:01 PM Gregg Myers via groups.io <gregg.w7grm=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Darren,

I looked on the Reverse Beacon Network for your callsign and don’t see anyone spotting you. So with the beacon stations at least, I see no indication you are getting out. If you are not familiar with the Reverse Beacon Network,  all you have to do is call CQ in the normal way (also de your callsign, of course) and you can look online and see if any of the ‘skimmers’ picked up your signal. As long as you are sending reasonably good CW, there are some very good systems around the country that are quite sensitive and will pick up your signal and report the signal strength. The link is here: 

If you don’t have another radio, you could also pull up a close by webSDR radio online and see if you can hear yourself sending.

Good Luck & 73,
Gregg

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:46 PM Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Darren
KN4WML,

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

RBN *can* be a useful tool. There have been times I can hit several of those and get no QSO. There are times when no RBN station reports me BUT I get a qso pretty quickly. So, useful as RBN is the results are not chiseled in granite.

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 6/6/20 11:01 PM, Gregg Myers wrote:
Hi Darren,
http://www.reversebeacon.net/main.php
Good Luck & 73,
Gregg
On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 8:46 PM Gary Bernard via groups.io <http://groups.io> <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io <mailto:aol.com@groups.io>> wrote:

On Jun 6, 2020, at 7:28 PM, Darren KN4WML <darrent78@...
<mailto:darrent78@...>> wrote:

Question from a newcomer.   With the 40m qcx, would it be helpful
to add on a PA to this kit?  I have an average ant up about 30+-
feet in the sky. I receive pretty well in the evenings but I don't
seem to be getting any responses back.   I'm thinking I don't have
enough powertpower get out?

Darren
KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

I'm going to do more looking into to all these options I've gotten from everyone one. I need to learn more about the WSPR & beacons settings on it. I reckon I just need to be a little more patient, I'd assume.    And yes it's in the cw mode, not practice. 

Thanks for the suggestions, 
Darren,
KN4WML,

Don VE3IDS

Darren

Go to reverse beacon network and search for your call sign after calling CQ a few times. You will see where your signal is being heard. 

73 Don ve3ids

On Sat., Jun. 6, 2020, 11:07 p.m. Gary Bernard via groups.io, <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:46 PM, Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Darren
KN4WML,

Darren KN4WML

I'm going to try the RBN later on this evening, and see what happens. Hopefully I can get some results on this issue. If not I'll go through the installation again to see if I fumbled something around

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020, 6:48 AM Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:
Darren

Go to reverse beacon network and search for your call sign after calling CQ a few times. You will see where your signal is being heard. 

73 Don ve3ids

On Sat., Jun. 6, 2020, 11:07 p.m. Gary Bernard via groups.io, <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Jun 6, 2020, at 8:46 PM, Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Darren
KN4WML,

Ed Kwik

Have you checked yourself on the Reverse Beacon Network?

Ed  AB8DF

On 6/6/2020 10:34 PM, Darren KN4WML wrote:
How much power? That I don't even know yet, I haven't purchased a meter to test yet. I'm looking to get one by the end of the week.   As far as I know I might not even been transmitting at all.   

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020, 9:34 PM Mike Besemer - WM4B <mwbesemer@...> wrote:

Darren,

Mike

WM4B

Darren

KN4WML,

Steve in Okinawa

Darren,
As was pointed out above, RBN is not sure fire on any one occasion. Propagation might just not be happening. Keep trying at different times. Case in point, an hour ago i got zero RBN spots from several minutes of calling CQ on 40, but still made several 1000-km QSOs and got good reports afterwards by answering CQs.

Mike Besemer - WM4B

I run 0.5 watts into a short 40 meter dipole in my attic and get worldwide spots consistently.  Your antenna is fine.

But, if you’re in CW mode, it won’t transmit  WSPR.

Mike

WM4B

Sent: Saturday, June 6, 2020 11:50 PM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] PA for qcx 40m #qcx40

I'm going to do more looking into to all these options I've gotten from everyone one. I need to learn more about the WSPR & beacons settings on it. I reckon I just need to be a little more patient, I'd assume.    And yes it's in the cw mode, not practice. 

Thanks for the suggestions, 
Darren,

KN4WML,

@CurtisM

Darren

Wspr can be difficult to set up, but rbn tends to be easy if your cw is discernable. Your PA circuit could have a bug, even a missimg solder joint. See if your finals even get warm. Very difficult to say, but so far indeed you have zero data on transmit.

Curt

Darren,

WSPR: Yeah... like Curt says, it can be a fiddle, but it's really worth it: the thrill of getting reports back from half way around the world is nothing short of exhilarating... well, it was for me, I'm just a big kid ;-)  You really want to read Hans' notes in the manual. Check you'r frequency is in range. Time is critical: be a second or two late on your clock, but not early. Be aware that every time you go into the beacon menu, it messes with the system time ever so slightly. Choose a frame rate no less than 10 for politeness' sake, and start on an even minute, but not on the hour. Remember to save settings.

I got a GPS unit for mine, just to make setting the clock and Maidenhead Locator easier.

CW beacon is simpler, but it relies on full QRP CW power, and sometimes even that isn't enough, so if there's anything wrong, you'll get skunked. My rig is working fine, and I still get ignored much of the time.  Conversely, I'm in Minnesota, and I got WSPR reports from Alaska, New Zealand, Brazil, Iceland, and Eastern Europe, even forgetting to switch out my antenna Z-matcher (75% power reduction!).

Good luck.

Julian, N4JO.

--

On 6/8/2020 5:39 AM, wb8yyy via groups.io wrote:
Darren

Wspr can be difficult to set up, but rbn tends to be easy if your cw is discernable. Your PA circuit could have a bug, even a missimg solder joint. See if your finals even get warm. Very difficult to say, but so far indeed you have zero data on transmit.

Curt

Darren KN4WML

Well the good thing is that it's operational. I went to both the RBN & Websdr and both picked up on a signal. On the few that picked up, they were around 500-600 miles away. I'm guessing that's not to bad for being the middle part of the day. I'm just glad I didn't mess this thing up, I'd hat to have to order another one and waiiiiiittttt for it to arrive.   

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 6:39 AM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Darren

Curt

Don VE3IDS

Darren

That's great news. Are you a member of SKCC yet? They are a great group and have a nice sked page to help get started. It is free to join and you will find lots of ops there happy to help you with your first QSOs. 

73 Don ve3ids SKCC 15145T

On Mon., Jun. 8, 2020, 7:52 a.m. Darren KN4WML, <darrent78@...> wrote:
Well the good thing is that it's operational. I went to both the RBN & Websdr and both picked up on a signal. On the few that picked up, they were around 500-600 miles away. I'm guessing that's not to bad for being the middle part of the day. I'm just glad I didn't mess this thing up, I'd hat to have to order another one and waiiiiiittttt for it to arrive.   

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 6:39 AM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Darren

Curt

Darren KN4WML

I haven't heard of that group before, I'll have to go and check it out, when I get home. Thanks for the info...

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020, 7:56 AM Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:
Darren

That's great news. Are you a member of SKCC yet? They are a great group and have a nice sked page to help get started. It is free to join and you will find lots of ops there happy to help you with your first QSOs. 

73 Don ve3ids SKCC 15145T

On Mon., Jun. 8, 2020, 7:52 a.m. Darren KN4WML, <darrent78@...> wrote:

Darren

Curt