Topics

OT: Linux

Hans Summers
 

Hi, 

Topic change ;-)

I had been using Windows for ~25 years but earlier this year, switched to Linux and I have been very happy with it. I had bought a Win10 machine at Dayton in May 2017 and in less than 2 years it had got slower and slower and there were lots of problems - even though it was a top spec machine. On Linux everything went blindingly fast. 

A few days ago I bought a new mouse, 4000 DPI gaming mouse (though I don't game)... it moved so slowly across the screen compared to my old mouse. Then I discovered the Settings->Mouse window sliders don't have any effect on the mouse sensitivity. A bug! Google confirmed other people also experienced it. 

A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them. Linux has bugs and issues too, but at least you have a way to fix them. After a bit of googling I was able to identify the mouse device and set up the "coordination transformation matrix" to apply a gain of 5, to get the new mouse behaving like the old one. And created a little script which I put in the Startup to autorun on login. So all is well :-) 

73 Hans G0UPL


On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:

Hi Andy :),

    So True!!

    I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real
linux?

    The war between 'secure' boot and open source!

    Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up
the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).

    Lots of fun!!


On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

> Let's add..
>
> Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
> QSSTV
> WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc  etc
> VOACAP propagation odelling
> XNEC antenna modelling
> PA2OHH oscope
> QRSS grabber software
> Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
> Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
> Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program
>
> I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)
>
> - Andy -
>
>
> Boot it from an sd card.
> Boot it from a usb stick
> Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
> Boot from an external HD.
> No licence
> Share it with anyone
> Make your own versions
> No driver problems
> No privacy issues
> 1000's more geek utils
> Free Office software
> Choice of desktops and window managers
> Source code available, customise as you wish
> Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
> 98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
> Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run  a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
> Can update with no reboots.
> Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
> Uses less memory than anything Windows
> Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
> No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
> Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
> Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
> You can run Linux on any PC.
> 98% of worlds super computers run it.
> Very low RAM usage.
> Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
> Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
> Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
> Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
> No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
> No forced updates.
> Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
> No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!
>
>



Alan G4ZFQ
 

I had been using Windows for ~25 years
Hans

Same here.
But my various attempts into Linux over the years were not successful from my point of view.
I use my computer for many things, do not have the time and enthusiasm to move them over to Linux if even possible. So far I've not found an office application that simply runs my .xls files.
The last time I tried it would not boot, rejected my password, had not told me that my Windows password was no good, it had symbols not accepted by whatever version I was trying. If you do that with Windows at least it tells you the forbidden symbols. That's another thing, what version to try? One gets a dozen recommendations.

A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them.
I'm not sure that is true, maybe more Windows issues but more users. Searching for Linux or Windows answers takes about the same amount of time and are eventually found. But for a Linux beginner you get thrown into sudo this and that. I'm not saying that is a real problem but if I already can do what I want in Windows. (And I know how to change mouse properties:-)

It has been a few years, maybe I'll try again sometime.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi,

I started moving away from Microsoft while Windows 3.1 was still in general use. I was impressed by the advertising hype from Microsoft and bought Windows NT4 thinking it was going to do all those things for my family that were on the multi-cd box. Wrong. I abandoned Microsoft and their licensing model on the spot. I did use the NT4 for whatever little it could do until MS dropped support. My employer worshiped at the MS altar so I had to deal with it but I ran Linux on the company computers that were assigned to me. I used it prop up and support the MS crap (my opinion) successfully until I retired. I haven't looked back.

In addition to that customer relations/licensing model their security has been a sorry joke. We have to buy expensive security bloatware that hobbles the computer and still get malware 'infections'.

Linux has it's own bucket of crap to deal with but for me it is easier and far more productive that MS anything.

Having said all that (there is more)...

The best OS is the one you have and you know how to use (mostly). We should be trying to "convert" other computer users. But. If you whine about your OS in public don't be surprised if other systems are suggested and certainly don't complain about offers of help that include a different system. In fact, I still run a licensed installation of WinXP (the best MS system) but it is never exposed to the internet - the best security of all for MS Windows :)

Yes..there are some things I can't run on Linux. I lived happily without them before there were computers and I am still happy living without them. As they say - your mileage may vary.

And now in deference to the list's purpose and more on-topic, I will be using Linux based software with my QRP Labs gear and projects. Watching for QSX.

73,

Bill KU8H
--
bark less - wag more

Russ@va3rr
 

I've been running Linux since 2010. The laptop with which I am writing this post came with Windows 10, but I removed the hard drive the day I purchased it and installed an SSD with Linux Mint. I browse with Firefox, write my letters and open my spreadsheets with LibreOffice, program my Nanos and Megas with Arduino IDE, and watch video with VLC.

The only time I take the Windows hard drive out of the drawer is to run 4NEC2, because I'm too lazy to install WINE. And to do my income tax once per year...

vy 73 de Russ va3rr

Alan G4ZFQ
 

I started moving away from Microsoft while Windows 3.1 was still in general use.
Bill,

Yes, maybe I should have. Although I began to favour GUIs in DOS, before I came across 3.1. (Actually at that time I looked and wondered what was special about it, did not realise it could have more than one Window..)

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Hans Summers
 

Hi Alan

I used to think as you do. But the fact remained, I was sitting there with a quite new (May 2017) high spec machine running Win10 and it got slower and slower until I was dying of frustration... and no amount of googling and hacking could fix it. Not my first time on Win 10 either... my previous machine suffered the same fate. And before that Win 8, 8.1.

On changing to Linux, I purchased a commercial version of WINE (called Crossover) thinking I'd install MS Office. But in fact Libre Office on Linux opens Excel files and they work fine. I have a highly automated set of Excel spreadsheets for running QRP Labs operations efficiently, and they contain lots of VBA (a.k.a. macros). Libre Office runs these too. On making the change I found a few minor compatibility issues between VBA in MS Excel and Libre Office's interpretation thereof. But they were easy to solve. 

Funnily enough, the only thing I actually miss on Windows is MS Paint (used for drawings in the manuals). There are a bunch of Linux drawing programs but I haven't yet found one as easy and intuitive. Unfortunately for me, MS Paint didn't work in WINE as far as I could tell.

I'm not currently running any Windows software in WINE (Crossover). Native Linux software exists for everything I have needed so far.

In my opinion Windows peaked at XP. After that it went downhill. Now I hear that MS are going to use Linux for Windows in future. I suspect it won't help much. I think there probably isn't all that much wrong with the core of the Windows operating system simply because it's a small relatively simple thing and hard to really mess it up too badly. Even a numbskull like me, can write a simple OS kernel (I have). But it's all the stuff that goes on around it, which has crippled Windows overall. 

Having said all that... I'm not some Linux evangelist, I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If Windows is making you happy then don't listen to anyone who comes and preaches Linux. I didn't, for 25 years. It was just that in my particular case, things had been getting worse and the situation tipped over the threshold of what is acceptable still. So for me, Windows IS broken, so I changed, and I'm happy now. 

Sometimes I boot into Win 10 and wait 5+ minutes to get things running, just for fun, and to access a certain PayPal website that has cookies stored on that OS so recognizes me. Then I boot back into Linux where it takes approximately 2 seconds to get me logged in and fully operational.  ;-)

73 Hans G0UPL 


On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 13:14 Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
> I had been using Windows for ~25 years
Hans

Same here.
But my various attempts into Linux over the years were not successful
from my point of view.
I use my computer for many things, do not have the time and enthusiasm
to move them over to Linux if even possible. So far I've not found an
office application that simply runs my .xls files.
The last time I tried it would not boot, rejected my password, had not
told me that my Windows password was no good, it had symbols not
accepted by whatever version I was trying. If you do that with Windows
at least it tells you the forbidden symbols. That's another thing, what
version to try? One gets a dozen recommendations.

> A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and
> issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them.

I'm not sure that is true, maybe more Windows issues but more users.
Searching for Linux or Windows answers takes about the same amount of
time and are eventually found. But for a Linux beginner you get thrown
into sudo this and that. I'm not saying that is a real problem but if I
already can do what I want in Windows. (And I know how to change mouse
properties:-)

It has been a few years, maybe I'll try again sometime.

73 Alan G4ZFQ




Ken KM4NFQ
 

Good on you, Hans!

I first installed a Slackware distribution of GNU/Linux on a 486DX2/80
in late 1995 from 100 3.5" floppy discs. :-D It took me five tries
over a period of three days to get it installed, but I was finally
rewarded with Joy. My other OS was MSDOS 6.2 and the MSWindows 3.1
shell that ran on top of it, running on a 486SX25. By late 1996 I was
using GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I was able to make the transition
fairly easily because I did not have a large investment in Microsoft
software. In fact, the GNU/Linux distributions provided me with more
software that I had ever had on a PC before. I have never looked back.

I was more of a DOS weenie than a MSWindows user, so the bash shell
Command Line was a real JOY to use, compared to the the MSDOS prompt.
Soon I was able to do everything that I had done on the MS PC, but
with GNU/Linux, and more. Compare MSDOS Batch commands with the bash
shell! Actually, there is no comparison.

Familiarity is the key. As I became more familiar with GNU/Linux, it
became easier to use. Much easier to use. The whole UNIX philosophy is
that each utility does one thing very well. And the output of one
utility can be piped as the input to another utility.

Congratulations on discovering GNU/Linux, and giving it a try! Best
wishes for success in all of your GNU/Linux projects. BTW, which
distribution of GNU/Linux are you using? (I use Debian GNU/Linux).

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi,

Topic change ;-)

I had been using Windows for ~25 years but earlier this year, switched to Linux and I have been very happy with it. I had bought a Win10 machine at Dayton in May 2017 and in less than 2 years it had got slower and slower and there were lots of problems - even though it was a top spec machine. On Linux everything went blindingly fast.

A few days ago I bought a new mouse, 4000 DPI gaming mouse (though I don't game)... it moved so slowly across the screen compared to my old mouse. Then I discovered the Settings->Mouse window sliders don't have any effect on the mouse sensitivity. A bug! Google confirmed other people also experienced it.

A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them. Linux has bugs and issues too, but at least you have a way to fix them. After a bit of googling I was able to identify the mouse device and set up the "coordination transformation matrix" to apply a gain of 5, to get the new mouse behaving like the old one. And created a little script which I put in the Startup to autorun on login. So all is well :-)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:


Hi Andy :),

So True!!

I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real
linux?

The war between 'secure' boot and open source!

Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up
the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).

Lots of fun!!


On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

Let's add..

Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
QSSTV
WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc etc
VOACAP propagation odelling
XNEC antenna modelling
PA2OHH oscope
QRSS grabber software
Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program

I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)

- Andy -


Boot it from an sd card.
Boot it from a usb stick
Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
Boot from an external HD.
No licence
Share it with anyone
Make your own versions
No driver problems
No privacy issues
1000's more geek utils
Free Office software
Choice of desktops and window managers
Source code available, customise as you wish
Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
Can update with no reboots.
Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
Uses less memory than anything Windows
Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
You can run Linux on any PC.
98% of worlds super computers run it.
Very low RAM usage.
Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
No forced updates.
Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!


Hans Summers
 

Hi Ken

Xubuntu 18.04

73 Hans G0UPL 

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 14:19 Ken KM4NFQ <km4nfq@...> wrote:
Good on you, Hans!

I first installed a Slackware distribution of GNU/Linux on a 486DX2/80
in late 1995 from 100 3.5" floppy discs. :-D It took me five tries
over a period of three days to get it installed, but I was finally
rewarded with Joy. My other OS was MSDOS 6.2 and the MSWindows 3.1
shell that ran on top of it, running on a 486SX25. By late 1996 I was
using GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I was able to make the transition
fairly easily because I did not have a large investment in Microsoft
software. In fact, the GNU/Linux distributions provided me with more
software that I had ever had on a PC before. I have never looked back.

I was more of a DOS weenie than a MSWindows user, so the bash shell
Command Line was a real JOY to use, compared to the the MSDOS prompt.
Soon I was able to do everything that I had done on the MS PC, but
with GNU/Linux, and more. Compare MSDOS Batch commands with the bash
shell! Actually, there is no comparison.

Familiarity is the key. As I became more familiar with GNU/Linux, it
became easier to use. Much easier to use. The whole UNIX philosophy is
that each utility does one thing very well. And the output of one
utility can be piped as the input to another utility.

Congratulations on discovering GNU/Linux, and giving it a try! Best
wishes for success in all of your GNU/Linux projects. BTW, which
distribution of GNU/Linux are you using? (I use Debian GNU/Linux).

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Topic change ;-)
>
> I had been using Windows for ~25 years but earlier this year, switched to Linux and I have been very happy with it. I had bought a Win10 machine at Dayton in May 2017 and in less than 2 years it had got slower and slower and there were lots of problems - even though it was a top spec machine. On Linux everything went blindingly fast.
>
> A few days ago I bought a new mouse, 4000 DPI gaming mouse (though I don't game)... it moved so slowly across the screen compared to my old mouse. Then I discovered the Settings->Mouse window sliders don't have any effect on the mouse sensitivity. A bug! Google confirmed other people also experienced it.
>
> A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them. Linux has bugs and issues too, but at least you have a way to fix them. After a bit of googling I was able to identify the mouse device and set up the "coordination transformation matrix" to apply a gain of 5, to get the new mouse behaving like the old one. And created a little script which I put in the Startup to autorun on login. So all is well :-)
>
> 73 Hans G0UPL
> http://qrp-labs.com
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hi Andy :),
>>
>>     So True!!
>>
>>     I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real
>> linux?
>>
>>     The war between 'secure' boot and open source!
>>
>>     Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up
>> the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).
>>
>>     Lots of fun!!
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:
>>
>> > Let's add..
>> >
>> > Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
>> > QSSTV
>> > WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc  etc
>> > VOACAP propagation odelling
>> > XNEC antenna modelling
>> > PA2OHH oscope
>> > QRSS grabber software
>> > Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
>> > Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
>> > Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program
>> >
>> > I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)
>> >
>> > - Andy -
>> >
>> >
>> > Boot it from an sd card.
>> > Boot it from a usb stick
>> > Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
>> > Boot from an external HD.
>> > No licence
>> > Share it with anyone
>> > Make your own versions
>> > No driver problems
>> > No privacy issues
>> > 1000's more geek utils
>> > Free Office software
>> > Choice of desktops and window managers
>> > Source code available, customise as you wish
>> > Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
>> > 98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
>> > Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run  a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
>> > Can update with no reboots.
>> > Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
>> > Uses less memory than anything Windows
>> > Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
>> > No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
>> > Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
>> > Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
>> > You can run Linux on any PC.
>> > 98% of worlds super computers run it.
>> > Very low RAM usage.
>> > Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
>> > Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
>> > Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
>> > Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
>> > No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
>> > No forced updates.
>> > Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
>> > No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>



Ken KM4NFQ
 

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:27 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi Ken

Xubuntu 18.04

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com
Hello Hans,

Excellent! I see that it is a Long Term Support release, so you are
walking in high cotton. Ubuntu is based on the Debian GNU/Linux
distro, which will always be Free!

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor




On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 14:19 Ken KM4NFQ <@KM4NFQ> wrote:

Good on you, Hans!

I first installed a Slackware distribution of GNU/Linux on a 486DX2/80
in late 1995 from 100 3.5" floppy discs. :-D It took me five tries
over a period of three days to get it installed, but I was finally
rewarded with Joy. My other OS was MSDOS 6.2 and the MSWindows 3.1
shell that ran on top of it, running on a 486SX25. By late 1996 I was
using GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I was able to make the transition
fairly easily because I did not have a large investment in Microsoft
software. In fact, the GNU/Linux distributions provided me with more
software that I had ever had on a PC before. I have never looked back.

I was more of a DOS weenie than a MSWindows user, so the bash shell
Command Line was a real JOY to use, compared to the the MSDOS prompt.
Soon I was able to do everything that I had done on the MS PC, but
with GNU/Linux, and more. Compare MSDOS Batch commands with the bash
shell! Actually, there is no comparison.

Familiarity is the key. As I became more familiar with GNU/Linux, it
became easier to use. Much easier to use. The whole UNIX philosophy is
that each utility does one thing very well. And the output of one
utility can be piped as the input to another utility.

Congratulations on discovering GNU/Linux, and giving it a try! Best
wishes for success in all of your GNU/Linux projects. BTW, which
distribution of GNU/Linux are you using? (I use Debian GNU/Linux).

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi,

Topic change ;-)

I had been using Windows for ~25 years but earlier this year, switched to Linux and I have been very happy with it. I had bought a Win10 machine at Dayton in May 2017 and in less than 2 years it had got slower and slower and there were lots of problems - even though it was a top spec machine. On Linux everything went blindingly fast.

A few days ago I bought a new mouse, 4000 DPI gaming mouse (though I don't game)... it moved so slowly across the screen compared to my old mouse. Then I discovered the Settings->Mouse window sliders don't have any effect on the mouse sensitivity. A bug! Google confirmed other people also experienced it.

A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them. Linux has bugs and issues too, but at least you have a way to fix them. After a bit of googling I was able to identify the mouse device and set up the "coordination transformation matrix" to apply a gain of 5, to get the new mouse behaving like the old one. And created a little script which I put in the Startup to autorun on login. So all is well :-)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:


Hi Andy :),

So True!!

I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real
linux?

The war between 'secure' boot and open source!

Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up
the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).

Lots of fun!!


On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

Let's add..

Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
QSSTV
WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc etc
VOACAP propagation odelling
XNEC antenna modelling
PA2OHH oscope
QRSS grabber software
Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program

I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)

- Andy -


Boot it from an sd card.
Boot it from a usb stick
Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
Boot from an external HD.
No licence
Share it with anyone
Make your own versions
No driver problems
No privacy issues
1000's more geek utils
Free Office software
Choice of desktops and window managers
Source code available, customise as you wish
Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
Can update with no reboots.
Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
Uses less memory than anything Windows
Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
You can run Linux on any PC.
98% of worlds super computers run it.
Very low RAM usage.
Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
No forced updates.
Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!



Bill Cromwell
 

Hi Hans,

Instead of WINE you might try some of the virtual machine software. I have been using "VirtualBox" from Oracle. That is how I run my WinXP system. We don't have to reboot into a different OS. It all runs under Linux OS in it's own window.I have used some commercial virtual machine packages in the past and they did perform better. The one I am using is *free* and is adequate.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 10/17/19 7:14 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi Alan
I used to think as you do. But the fact remained, I was sitting there with a quite new (May 2017) high spec machine running Win10 and it got slower and slower until I was dying of frustration... and no amount of googling and hacking could fix it. Not my first time on Win 10 either... my previous machine suffered the same fate. And before that Win 8, 8.1.
On changing to Linux, I purchased a commercial version of WINE (called Crossover) thinking I'd install MS Office. But in fact Libre Office on Linux opens Excel files and they work fine. I have a highly automated set of Excel spreadsheets for running QRP Labs operations efficiently, and they contain lots of VBA (a.k.a. macros). Libre Office runs these too. On making the change I found a few minor compatibility issues between VBA in MS Excel and Libre Office's interpretation thereof. But they were easy to solve.
Funnily enough, the only thing I actually miss on Windows is MS Paint (used for drawings in the manuals). There are a bunch of Linux drawing programs but I haven't yet found one as easy and intuitive. Unfortunately for me, MS Paint didn't work in WINE as far as I could tell.
I'm not currently running any Windows software in WINE (Crossover). Native Linux software exists for everything I have needed so far.
In my opinion Windows peaked at XP. After that it went downhill. Now I hear that MS are going to use Linux for Windows in future. I suspect it won't help much. I think there probably isn't all that much wrong with the core of the Windows operating system simply because it's a small relatively simple thing and hard to really mess it up too badly. Even a numbskull like me, can write a simple OS kernel (I have). But it's all the stuff that goes on around it, which has crippled Windows overall.
Having said all that... I'm not some Linux evangelist, I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it". If Windows is making you happy then don't listen to anyone who comes and preaches Linux. I didn't, for 25 years. It was just that in my particular case, things had been getting worse and the situation tipped over the threshold of what is acceptable still. So for me, Windows IS broken, so I changed, and I'm happy now.
Sometimes I boot into Win 10 and wait 5+ minutes to get things running, just for fun, and to access a certain PayPal website that has cookies stored on that OS so recognizes me. Then I boot back into Linux where it takes approximately 2 seconds to get me logged in and fully operational.  ;-)
73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 13:14 Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@... <mailto:alan4alan@...>> wrote:

> I had been using Windows for ~25 years
Hans
Same here.
But my various attempts into Linux over the years were not successful
from my point of view.
I use my computer for many things, do not have the time and enthusiasm
to move them over to Linux if even possible. So far I've not found an
office application that simply runs my .xls files.
The last time I tried it would not boot, rejected my password, had not
told me that my Windows password was no good, it had symbols not
accepted by whatever version I was trying. If you do that with Windows
at least it tells you the forbidden symbols. That's another thing, what
version to try? One gets a dozen recommendations.

> A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs
and
> issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them.
I'm not sure that is true, maybe more Windows issues but more users.
Searching for Linux or Windows answers takes about the same amount of
time and are eventually found. But for a Linux beginner you get thrown
into sudo this and that. I'm not saying that is a real problem but if I
already can do what I want in Windows. (And I know how to change mouse
properties:-)
It has been a few years, maybe I'll try again sometime.
73 Alan G4ZFQ
--
bark less - wag more

Alan G4ZFQ
 

On 17/10/2019 11:14, Hans Summers wrote:
In my opinion Windows peaked at XP.
I'm reluctant to admit it but most of my work is done on XP and connected to the internet.
One day the foretellers of doom will be proven right but I feel the virus problem is overstated. The only problems I've ever had have been when I've knowingly taken a chance on a non-vital machine.
I use W10 for security. I don't think I've anything sensitive on the XP machine but it just runs..

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Jim Mcilroy
 

Hi

I'm currently using Fedora 30 which took a little shaking down but it's now very stable.

Over the years I've used just about every OS there is. Settled on Linux and OSX.

OSX is very useful using the Notes function. A bit of iPad research gets synced to the OSX desktops.

I keep W10 for certain applications - one particularly handy one is using an SDRplay as a spectrum analyser.

73

Jim G4EQX

On 17/10/2019 12:26, Hans Summers wrote:
Hi Ken

Xubuntu 18.04

73 Hans G0UPL 

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 14:19 Ken KM4NFQ <km4nfq@...> wrote:
Good on you, Hans!

I first installed a Slackware distribution of GNU/Linux on a 486DX2/80
in late 1995 from 100 3.5" floppy discs. :-D It took me five tries
over a period of three days to get it installed, but I was finally
rewarded with Joy. My other OS was MSDOS 6.2 and the MSWindows 3.1
shell that ran on top of it, running on a 486SX25. By late 1996 I was
using GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I was able to make the transition
fairly easily because I did not have a large investment in Microsoft
software. In fact, the GNU/Linux distributions provided me with more
software that I had ever had on a PC before. I have never looked back.

I was more of a DOS weenie than a MSWindows user, so the bash shell
Command Line was a real JOY to use, compared to the the MSDOS prompt.
Soon I was able to do everything that I had done on the MS PC, but
with GNU/Linux, and more. Compare MSDOS Batch commands with the bash
shell! Actually, there is no comparison.

Familiarity is the key. As I became more familiar with GNU/Linux, it
became easier to use. Much easier to use. The whole UNIX philosophy is
that each utility does one thing very well. And the output of one
utility can be piped as the input to another utility.

Congratulations on discovering GNU/Linux, and giving it a try! Best
wishes for success in all of your GNU/Linux projects. BTW, which
distribution of GNU/Linux are you using? (I use Debian GNU/Linux).

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Topic change ;-)
>
> I had been using Windows for ~25 years but earlier this year, switched to Linux and I have been very happy with it. I had bought a Win10 machine at Dayton in May 2017 and in less than 2 years it had got slower and slower and there were lots of problems - even though it was a top spec machine. On Linux everything went blindingly fast.
>
> A few days ago I bought a new mouse, 4000 DPI gaming mouse (though I don't game)... it moved so slowly across the screen compared to my old mouse. Then I discovered the Settings->Mouse window sliders don't have any effect on the mouse sensitivity. A bug! Google confirmed other people also experienced it.
>
> A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them. Linux has bugs and issues too, but at least you have a way to fix them. After a bit of googling I was able to identify the mouse device and set up the "coordination transformation matrix" to apply a gain of 5, to get the new mouse behaving like the old one. And created a little script which I put in the Startup to autorun on login. So all is well :-)
>
> 73 Hans G0UPL
> http://qrp-labs.com
>
> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hi Andy :),
>>
>>     So True!!
>>
>>     I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real
>> linux?
>>
>>     The war between 'secure' boot and open source!
>>
>>     Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up
>> the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).
>>
>>     Lots of fun!!
>>
>>
>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:
>>
>> > Let's add..
>> >
>> > Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
>> > QSSTV
>> > WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc  etc
>> > VOACAP propagation odelling
>> > XNEC antenna modelling
>> > PA2OHH oscope
>> > QRSS grabber software
>> > Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
>> > Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
>> > Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program
>> >
>> > I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)
>> >
>> > - Andy -
>> >
>> >
>> > Boot it from an sd card.
>> > Boot it from a usb stick
>> > Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
>> > Boot from an external HD.
>> > No licence
>> > Share it with anyone
>> > Make your own versions
>> > No driver problems
>> > No privacy issues
>> > 1000's more geek utils
>> > Free Office software
>> > Choice of desktops and window managers
>> > Source code available, customise as you wish
>> > Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
>> > 98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
>> > Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run  a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
>> > Can update with no reboots.
>> > Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
>> > Uses less memory than anything Windows
>> > Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
>> > No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
>> > Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
>> > Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
>> > You can run Linux on any PC.
>> > 98% of worlds super computers run it.
>> > Very low RAM usage.
>> > Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
>> > Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
>> > Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
>> > Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
>> > No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
>> > No forced updates.
>> > Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
>> > No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>



John Canfield
 

My experience with Linux goes back to the 0.9 kernel before modules (which the kernel now loads depending on your hardware.) I had to compile the kernel to include my Ethernet card - compiling took 8 to 10 hours on a 286 machine. Linux was never designed for a GUI, just command line so the user GUI is a bit clunky (X.)  I've tried off and on over the last 35 years to migrate to Linux or even use a dual boot machine but I always kept coming back to Windows <spit> primarily because of Adobe Creative Suite.
--
John, WB5THT

dkwflight
 

Hi
I am not a serious computer user.
I started with a DOS machine and "Progressed" through all the windows versions with Microsoft trying and indeed into my wallet on every :upgrade?" in windows. till I was in Win 7. Fed up I started looking at Linux
I started with a separate hard drive which I switched out to play with the various linux versions.
I finally got into Linux Mint. Becoming very satisfied with Mint I stayed with very few problems, mostly caused by me.
Try Mint you will be pleased.
Mint is meant for the casual user. Other linux versions are better for the user who wants to get into the OS.
I may get back into windows for various reasons, but microsoft has finally decided not to charge for correcting their problems.
Good Luck
Dennis

Jason Locklin
 

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:46 AM Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:
On 17/10/2019 11:14, Hans Summers wrote:
> In my opinion Windows peaked at XP.

I'm reluctant to admit it but most of my work is done on XP and
connected to the internet.

Whether you are using Windows or Linux as your host machine, you can put XP and your legacy software in a Virtualbox virtual machine and set the image as "immutable." The virtual machine basically gets frozen in time and reset every time it's rebooted. You could open every .exe file in your spam folder and your XP install would be clean and fresh after a reboot. The only downside is that you have to switch it back to read-write in order to install software or updates, and you have to use a shared folder to save files you want to keep between reboots. This perpetually clean XP virtual machine can even be moved between physical machines for long-term utility. I actually ran a single Windows 2k install like this for years on various Linux physical computers. -Jason VE3MAL


 
One day the foretellers of doom will be proven right but I feel the
virus problem is overstated. The only problems I've ever had have been
when I've knowingly taken a chance on a non-vital machine.
I use W10 for security. I don't think I've anything sensitive on the XP
machine but it just runs..

73 Alan G4ZFQ





--
_
Jason

HB9FIH
 

Hi.
When I was QRL (until 6 years ago) I made all servers (data/voice/web) with Linux - most with CentOS. Also one CentOS as desktop.
For my work I had to use Win (Delphi software developer).

I agree WIN10 becomes unusable. Too much and always new Issues. Here in QTH TA have a mini Mainboard. Next I move to Ubuntu too.
Checking first wether HamRadio DeLuxe runs with Wine.
On new Laptop will make 2nd Partition for Ubuntu too, asap I am sure abt HRD then WIN (on laptop win7 64) will be removed.
My banc account software will run from Jan 20 only with WIN10. So I am going to change the banc. 
OpenOffice/LibreOffice I use since these exist ..never MS Office.
Virtual machine I had severals .. but I want to use Linux exclusive.
One Win10 must keep. Its a machine which is located in HB9. There is the Delphi development enviroment - here I can not change. This machine runs as remote desktop, so I am able to work from everywhere.
73 Erich

 

Let us not forgot a few other great points about Linux.

Resilience.

Windows always throws a hissy fit if the power dies or is not shut down properly.
Hours wasted with scandisk or repairing a registry.
You don't get that nonsense with Linux.
One great example is the Raspberry Pi.
Runs from an SD card with Debian, with a Pi flavoured skin on it.
These devices don't even have an off/off button.
Just apply the 5 volts PSU to it for a boot up, or yank it out when it's time to go to bed ;-)
Same on PC if you want.

On Windows you have an ever growing registry that want to register every file for every application.
It grows, it takes longer to boot.
You try removing software or cleaning up the registry, but it never seems to shrink - why ?
Not a problem on Linux.

Most Linux kernels include a fast off mode, ALT+SYS REQ + O(ff).
Nice fast close down if you need it.

Lots of open source software, ready made or with source so you know what you're getting.
Free compilers, no silly licences or restrictions.

No silly drivers issues, plug in and get on with the job.
Windows just makes a real mess of trying to decide what driver to use, or what comport number to assign. What a waste of time.

Alan ZFQ:

Libre Office will do xls files.
The only things that may catch you out is if you used some specialised MS Office function in a cell.
It pays to just use standard functions, even if you might need an extra step or two for the calculation.
But Libre Office has most of them sussed anyway.

And then there's being able to just write simple BASH scripts to perform custom tasks.
MS Powershell is terrible and often calls for a GUI program to do things.

And there's another feature of Linux.
Pretty much all Linux app functions can be done on a command line without even opening up the GUI, even for apps that include a GUI.
All those mouse clicks saved.

No spyware, no calling home, no registration, no restrictive licences.

Personal preferences.

Linux Mint. Best desktop Linux with excellent software management. You can choose different desktop versions to suit your taste or hardware resources.

Debian: Fast, stable. Slightly more basic package manager. Not quite as pretty on the GUI but so what.

AntiX: Ultra lean Debian based Linux. Trimmed so that it can run on really ancient PC's. Not too pretty and a bit geeky (not really suitable for XYL's) ;-)

But each to their own, there's LOTS of variants with a groups personal desktop project added. They're all pretty good, just comes down to personal taste
sometimes.

If you have a few old Windows apps then WINE will often run them.
I have things like HAMCAP and RFSIM99 through WINE.
Even that old Veroboard designer from years ago (can't remember it's name) will run on it.
I've even had Electronics Workbench too.

At last, owning a computer is fun and useful again.
It's an OS that does what I tell it.
Windows tells YOU what to do :-(

TIP: Wanna try Linux. Make a bootable USB stick first and see that you don't have any odd hardware issues. Don't uses DVD's, they are painfully slow.

Another tip is is you have a slow loading app, then you can have it (or ANYTHING) loaded and held in RAM if you wish.
It stays there (so it uses a bit of your RAM), but it means that once booted everything loads in 3 picoseconds when you go to use it.
Slow swap file on a  disk ?
You can easily configure it to never use  swap file and use a ramdisk instead, mega fast.

Sorry for the group bandwidth on this subject, but Linux has exactly the same ethos as our own amateur radio hobby, plus it allows
us to do stuff easier for our hobby.

Just look at the the aggro Windows makes to program an ATMEL controller for a QRP Labs product.
Dead easy on Linux, none of this rebooting Windows and funny set up menus to allow unsigned drivers or system files for Extreme Burner (for example).
One command line or an executable BASH file (BASH = .BAT in Linux) and the job is done.
I think Hans does the same now.

73 de Andy


HB9FIH
 

Yes Andy
Just yesterday looked for the Rasberry. Think I'll get one ...
Erich

 

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:14 PM, Hans Summers wrote:
Funnily enough, the only thing I actually miss on Windows is MS Paint
I don't like to admit it, but MS Paint is the ONLY program that I miss too.
I do believe that Paint can be made to work, something called WINETRICKS does it, but I don;t think it's Microsoft approved :-)
And yes, Xubuntu is a pretty good choice too, a good blend of fast, lean and mean but better presented than other mean and lean distros.

73 de Andy

Hans Summers
 


Hi Andy
 
Just look at the the aggro Windows makes to program an ATMEL controller for a QRP Labs product.
Dead easy on Linux, none of this rebooting Windows and funny set up menus to allow unsigned drivers or system files for Extreme Burner (for example).
One command line or an executable BASH file (BASH = .BAT in Linux) and the job is done.
I think Hans does the same now.

He does  ;-)

Actually QRP Labs' Burcu does it, on a 2005 vintage laptop that I got her at Dayton 2019 fleamarket, I paid $15 for it (if I recall). Nice to be able to give another life to such an old discarded machine. It had windows *something* on it but I did not even try to get anywhere with that on such an old machine... I installed XUbuntu 18.04 and everything ran sweetly, but our Excel spreadsheet systems were a bit slow. It had 512MBytes RAM, so I did a bit of Googling and found out that it can cope with up to 2GB RAM and found out which DRAM cards it needs... bought 2x 1G and installed those. Now it runs perfectly. Prior to that she was using my old Lenovo Yoga2 Tablet running Win10, purchased in Tokyo in around 2015... but Win10 had ground that into the ground.  

For programming AVR chips we use avrdude running at the command line. I actually set it all up in a Makefile so all she does is type, for example, for a QCX chip:

make T1.01a

and everything just happens, and always the same every time. I have a piezo beeper on the programmer board to one of the LCD pins so when programming is successful there is a reassuring "beep beep beep" as audible confirmation (diagnostic mode applies to U3S, QCX, Clock and VFO chips). 

73 Hans G0UPL