Topics

OOPS ! 50 Watt Amp

K2DB Paul Mackanos

Before I open it up, I installed Anderson Power poles on a 12 AWG red/black cable I purchased with the power pole kit and crimper.
Great move, but
DUMB operator, i put the black wire in the red connector and red one in the black connector.
You know what happened, right, reversed the polarity. 20 volts going the wrong way.
Heard a pop, and nothing happened.
Fixed the error and powered it up again, no output, any ideas what i am going to find, YL just brought me a bite to eat, and asked me what's wrong :-)
Gonna eat, and then open it up and look.
Paul K2DB
p.s. It worked fine before the snafu.Got 50 watts out.

K2DB Paul Mackanos

Update on OOPS ! 50 Watt Amp

Here is a high def picture with a computer microscope showing a burn mark directly above  Q3 FQPF2N60C, TO220, MOSFET.
I hope I can find one, and pray that's all that went poof !
Paul K2DB

_._,_._,_

K2DB Paul Mackanos

Found  FQPF2N60C, TO220, MOSFET at DigiKey, $1.16 each + $4.99 shipping, ordered a few extras.
Paul K2DB

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 1:12 PM K2DB Paul Mackanos via groups.io <paul.mackanos=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Update on OOPS ! 50 Watt Amp

Here is a high def picture with a computer microscope showing a burn mark directly above  Q3 FQPF2N60C, TO220, MOSFET.
I hope I can find one, and pray that's all that went poof !
Paul K2DB

Hans Summers

Hi Paul

This transistor is very non-critical here.

The only important parameters of the transistor in this application is that it needs to be a P-channel type, and have a Drain Source breakdown rating of at least 160V. Many MOSFETs have 60V or 100V ratings and this is not enough. The current handling capability and power dissipation capability are of no consequence. It only passes microamps and dissipates microwatts.

I chose this device just because it met the criteria (P type, high voltage) and was easily available and cheap. The large package and power handling are not a requirement. Only the P type and high voltage.

73 Hans G0UPL