Topics

No wspr spots with QCX

Phil N6WKZ

Hello All,

I have my QCX setup to beacon with WSPR, 14,097,150 MHZ. (20 meters)

I'm using the QRP-Labs GPS and frequency is dead-on.

I had to  set my call sign with a leading space. (spaceN6WKZ) to get rid of the error message.

Transmits every 10 mins, 5,15,25,35,45,55.

Any ideas why I'm not being "spotted" ?

73 Phil N6WKZ

Phil N6WKZ

Hello All,

I have my QCX setup to beacon with WSPR, 14,097,150 MHZ. (20 meters)

I'm using the QRP-Labs GPS and frequency is dead-on.

I had to  set my call sign with a leading space. (spaceN6WKZ) to get rid of the error message.

Transmits every 10 mins, 5,15,25,35,45,55.

Any ideas why I'm not being "spotted" ?

73 Phil N6WKZ

N3MNT

Set your start time to an even #.

Alan G4ZFQ

Transmits every 10 mins, 5,15,25,35,45,55.
Phil

WSPR needs to start on even minutes.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

@CurtisM

Indeed get time straight, and within about 1 second of utc on atomic clocks. Two many seconds off, nothing will decode.

The wspr passband is only 200 Hz wide. With U3S it takes several calibration cycles to get there, I am not sure about qcx. Set for middle of band initially to see if you land some spots and what freq is reported. If you have a modern commercial rig with tcxo etc, transmit your qcx into dummy load and see what freq you measure

Curt

Arthur Paton

Hi Phil
Some of us here in Northern Illinois have noticed the same thing.  -37db transmissions are not being spotted on 20M.  Some have reported no spots with a signal of 100 watts.  I trust it is a problem with the WSPR application.  Our radios are getting out elsewhere.  I am waiting for a fix.  Trying to get spots on my QCX+ with GPS on WSPR.  Have previous success with my Yaesu FT-450D and WSKT-X. but no joy with the Yaesu now either.
Its them.
73
Art N9AEP

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 3:30 PM Phil N6WKZ <n6wkz@...> wrote:
Hello All,

I have my QCX setup to beacon with WSPR, 14,097,150 MHZ. (20 meters)

I'm using the QRP-Labs GPS and frequency is dead-on.

I had to  set my call sign with a leading space. (spaceN6WKZ) to get rid
of the error message.

Transmits every 10 mins, 5,15,25,35,45,55.

Any ideas why I'm not being "spotted" ?

73 Phil N6WKZ

@CurtisM

Art

My U3S with 200 mW into my mere verticals is regularly heard on distant continents on 7 and 10 Mhz. Its the ions at present,  trust they can get better on 14 MHz before Spring in upper hemisphere.

There is some challenge getting set up for wspr. Okay to also use your big rig, but crank down to lowest power you can output.

73 curt

John Baines

Hello Phil,

You need to start transmission on even minutes.

73
John
M0JBA

On 29 Oct 2020, at 20:30, Phil N6WKZ <n6wkz@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I have my QCX setup to beacon with WSPR, 14,097,150 MHZ. (20 meters)

I'm using the QRP-Labs GPS and frequency is dead-on.

I had to set my call sign with a leading space. (spaceN6WKZ) to get rid of the error message.

Transmits every 10 mins, 5,15,25,35,45,55.

Any ideas why I'm not being "spotted" ?

73 Phil N6WKZ

Shane Justice

Phil,

Make sure to set the start minute of the hour at Zero. Set repeat increment at not less than 4: either 4, 6, 8, or 10.

The WSPR receive stations only listen on the even minutes.

It's all in the manual.

73,
Shane
KE7TR

On Oct 29, 2020 at 13:30, Phil N6WKZ <n6wkz@...> wrote:

Hello All,

I have my QCX setup to beacon with WSPR, 14,097,150 MHZ. (20 meters)

I'm using the QRP-Labs GPS and frequency is dead-on.

I had to  set my call sign with a leading space. (spaceN6WKZ) to get rid
of the error message.

Transmits every 10 mins, 5,15,25,35,45,55.

Any ideas why I'm not being "spotted" ?

73 Phil N6WKZ

Arthur Paton

Hi Curt
My 20M QCX+ has a TXCO and a GPS wired to it.  It is updated immediately, and continuously.  Still no WSPR spots.  My WSJT-X is also linked to an application that updates my computer clock from a national standard and is good to 1uSec.  Don't think its the timing on either device.  Also did WDPR a few weeks ago and all was fine.  Lots of spots.
73
Art N9AEP

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 5:11 PM wb8yyy via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Indeed get time straight, and within about 1 second of utc on atomic clocks. Two many seconds off, nothing will decode.

The wspr passband is only 200 Hz wide. With U3S it takes several calibration cycles to get there, I am not sure about qcx. Set for middle of band initially to see if you land some spots and what freq is reported. If you have a modern commercial rig with tcxo etc, transmit your qcx into dummy load and see what freq you measure

Curt

@CurtisM

Art

well here is something you can try.  put a dummy load on your QCX and let it transmit WSPR.  now simultaneously set up another rig to receive WSPR using an antenna.  I am suspicious you should see your QCX transmissions, and if all is well decode them there.

I am not familiar with wspr details on QCX.  with the U3S - with GPS but no tcxo on my version - it can find itself outside of frequency calibration even though time is near perfect via GPS.  this has to do with the how the PLL is calibrated in the U3S - I don't know if there is something analogous in the QCX.  suffice it to say - your QCX needs to output its WSPR within the 200 Hz +/- window where everyone listens - hence my suggestion to see if you can hear your own transmission.

73 curt

ps - tcxo means frequency will be very stable -- but it will not guarantee where it lands - that depends how the PLL decides to apply that info (and where the xtal is oscillating!)