Topics

My QCX arrived at last!

G3SPL

Wish I'd chosen the Fed Ex option! My QCX+ kit was dispatched by Hans promptly and appeared on the Turkish PO tracking app.  A day or so later it became "in transit".  I despaired as it stayed that way day after day.
Finally, at 0430 last Thursday it magically appeared at Heathrow Airport and was delivered to me at 0930 on Friday morning by my smiling postman! Wonder where it was for over 2 weeks?
Anyway I am about half way through construction and find Hans' written instructions first rate.  It must have taken an age to do the stage by stage drawings and pictures.
It's been about 25 years since I last did any electronic construction - and I must say the components have shrunk massively.  Back then a 1uF non-polarized capacitor would have taken up the better part of a matchbox, now the same value capacitor in the kit is about the size of a matchhead!
With a pensioner's eyesight, I find I need a strong pair of reading glasses, a magnifying glass and a good head torch.  Even then, some little blue capacitors defeated me, until I tried my smartphone camera on zoom.  Sure enough the value could be read - never realized that the smartphone camera had such a good "macro" facility.
I'm still using some of the tools I bought as a teenager, by the way - still going strong after 60 years.  But I have invested in a nice new temperature controlled iron which I find is essential with these small pads and components.
So it'll be Fed Ex in future for me, for sure!

Michael Greene

Awesome! I hope you are having as much fun with yours as I did with mine! I got so hooked that I'm putting together the GPS unit now.

Phil/K3UT (ex W3HZZ)

Glad you have a new iron.
When I came back to ham radio after 40 years, I tried to use my 50w Weller Ray Gun.
--
Philip L. Graitcer
St Simons Island, Georgia

Times are bad. Children no longer obey their parents, and everyone is writing a book.

      -Marcus Tullius Cicero, statesman, orator and writer (106-43 BC)

Shane Justice

Welcome to the club! I want a magnified headset like Hans'!!!

I, too, use my smart phone as you described.

Enjoy!
Shane