Topics

LightARPS-W miss GNSS/GPS

todora@...

Hi,

I am newbie for LightARPS-W and I got it last week.

I upload the program w/arduino, mod is DEVMODE, callsigns and Frequency for JA band plan. APRS is 144.660MHz.

I can start it immediately, but it can not get GPS/GNSS signals. Of course, satlities are on the sky.

How should I check the program?

Thanks in Advance...

Tosy, Toshiyuki MORIYAMA

JA6VZB also AH0T, ex T88JA, KC6VW, V63BM

Klaus Beckers

Could it be that you are mixing up different things? APRS is only working with amtuer radio stations on the desined APRS frequency, in your case possibly 144,660 MHz, in Europe it is 144,800 MHz. Positioning satellites for navigation are not working on those amatuerradio frequencies and with the packet radio format hams are using, but they transmit somewhere in L-band around 1575 MHz partly with spread spectrum signals etc. . Navigational satllite systems like GPD, Bidout, Glonass or Gallileo have very little to do with APRS. However those satelite systems supply your VHF transmitter with your position data so that you can transmit your coordinates on 144,600.MHz. If your transceiver has a built in NAV-receiver and a built in patch antenna, it even might work already if you are at a place with an at least partly clear view to the sky  -  or have I misunderstood your question?

Mustafa Tan

Hi,

LightAPRS-W has a passive chip GPS antenna so it can not fix indoor. If you test it outdoor it takes 5-10 minutes to fix(if you have clear sky it takes less but surrounded by tall buildings or trees it may take longer)

It looks like GPS time is updated so it will fix soon.

On 19 Sep 2020, at 19:06, Klaus Beckers via groups.io <wn2z@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mustafa,

I wait for an hour or more, but no luck....

Tosy,

Toshiyuki Moriyama JA6VZB

AB9LM

I've found that there is one spot in my house where I can get a fix indoors. It takes quite a long time, but it does eventually.
My suggestion:
Take it outside and power it up. Turn on a handheld with no antenna connected. Eventually you'll hear the wake up status transmission and after a few minutes you'll hear a longer one which will be a proper APRS packet.

Hope this helps.

James - AB9LM