From: Julian Opificius <n4jo@...>
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 25, 2020 2:39 pm
Subject: [QRPLabs] Iambic modes, firmware version

I've been lazy, and have not yet updated my '40 from 1.00g, or my '20 from 1.03. Until I get around to working on a CAT interface, it didn't seem to matter... until last night ...

I'm practicing sending and reading CW with a view to getting on the air "real soon now". Somehow I fell in with the Iambic B crowd back in May of last year when I started all this. Just yesterday I stumbled onto a discussion of Iambic modes, wherein somebody said that A was more common here, and it was only those silly Europeans (my words, and I do resemble that remark anyway) who use B. It doesn't matter if that's true or not - that's not the point; neither is the fact that somebody said the test for a "B" person is that they can't key a "C" in "A" mode...
Well anyway, I thought I'd try A, and see what all the fuss was all about. I had my '40 (v1.00g) hooked up at that time, and suddenly discovered I couldn't even reliably squeeze out an A, or an R, or a P, or in fact anything with a single dit followed by a dah. I could "left-right slap" out an "A", but Iambic is supposed to be optimally used with a "squeeze" technique.
After a couple of dozen tries, I determined that it couldn't be me,.and swapped over to the '20 (v1.03), and lo and behold, I could do it.

Bottom line: could I ask folk who are A and B people if a) they'e experienced anything like the same issue between firmware versions, and b) if they can comfortably use squeeze technique on the latest versions ?

b.t.w., the guy was right: It is hard to key a "C" in "A" mode if you're accustomed to "B" mode: you have to wait for that last did before letting go.

Thanks in advance,
Julian / N4JO.

Thanks for that, Gary..
.
It's not that I can't drive both modes if I focus, but that while the 1.03 unit works reliably, the 1.00g unit appears not to. It's quite repeatable. Same key, same fist.

I guess I should break out of my lazy chair and go and see if I can find the firmware update notes that I'm sure Hans has published somewhere :-)

Julian / N4JO

p.s. You must have been ... I'm sure I've seen your call sign before... a long time ago, in galaxy far, far away ... ;-)

Sigh...
Yes, I should have looked before squawking: Iambic mode A bug fix in Version 1.01. So now I have to decide either to go down the firmware update rabbit hole, or stick with Iambic B unti I get around to my CAT project.

Hey... I'm feeling brave today...

Julian / N4JO.

alex.savochkin@...

Although my QCX-80 is temporarily dead and I can't speak about particular realisation of A and B modes there, I have tried to feel the difference using my Ten-Tec 538 transceiver. I don't know if I have any special keying technique, but I have absolutely no trouble keying in both A and B modes. AFAIK, the preference between A and B depends on habit and no one mode is better than another.
--
Alex R2ATO
SKCC: 21618. RCWC: 1275

Ham Radio

If you decide to use CAT, revision 1.05 is mandatory.  I’ve come up with a neat solution where I just tack 4 wire on the bottom of the PCB and added the 2 resistors and diode on a small external prototype  board. I used an old Arduino UNO as a TTL to USB converter. Works great.

If there is interest, I can document ...

--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

antonio_noriega@...

Hi Bernie,