Topics

How can i see the raw data from the GPS receiver.

James Anderson

Hello to all.

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

If so, how is it done.

My question comes from using an old BT77 gps bluetooth module from way back in time and i seem to remember being able to see the raw data strings as they were received on a PC.

For the life of me though, I'm unable to remember how i did it..

Kind regards, James.

Simon Kennedy

Hi James,

if I remember correctly most GPS output RS232 or similar. I converted the serial data from a GPS 'puck' to TTL using a MAX232 chip or similar then read it as a serial port with an Arduino for my home brew WSPR tx.

Regards
Simon.

On 17 October 2017 at 20:55, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:
Hello to all.

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

If so, how is it done.

My question comes from using an old BT77 gps bluetooth module from way back in time and i seem to remember being able to see the raw data strings as they were received on a PC.

For the life of me though, I'm unable to remember how i did it..

Kind regards, James.

James Anderson

Ah yes the old MAX232 chip, i once used that in a circuit to read the data from a fire alarm panel using a very basic organiser type gadget that i used to keep notes on etc. I'll look up the MAX232 circuits now.

That's jogged the old grey cells a bit.

Thanks Simon.

if I remember correctly most GPS output RS232 or similar. I converted the serial data from a GPS 'puck' to TTL using a MAX232 chip or similar then read it as a serial port with an Arduino for my home brew WSPR tx.

Regards
Simon.

On 17 October 2017 at 20:55, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:
Hello to all.

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

If so, how is it done.

My question comes from using an old BT77 gps bluetooth module from way back in time and i seem to remember being able to see the raw data strings as they were received on a PC.

For the life of me though, I'm unable to remember how i did it..

Kind regards, James.

Alan G4ZFQ

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?
James

You need something like this https://www.ebay.com/i/381374541932?rt=nc (TTL to COM port) and there are many ways of seeing the output, a "simple" terminal program or one of the many utilities like https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows. Any will do but best use the one that matches the module

73 Alan G4ZFQ

James Anderson

Thank you Alan.

I shall give those a go.

Kindest, James.

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop
> the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

  James

You need something like this https://www.ebay.com/i/381374541932?rt=nc
www.ebay.com
CP2102 USB 2.0 to TTL UART Module 6Pin Serial Converter STC Replace FT232 Module

(TTL to COM port) and there are many ways of seeing the output, a
"simple" terminal program or one of the many utilities like
https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows. Any will do but best
www.u-blox.com
The u‑center GNSS evaluation software for automotive, mobile terminal and infrastructure applications provides a powerful tool for evaluation, performance analysis ...

use the one that matches the module

73 Alan G4ZFQ

James Anderson

Well I never.

Alan, I actually have a few of these in the bits and pieces draw that i bought some time ago for another project..

That saves on ordering and waiting for those now.

Cheers, James.

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop
> the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

  James

You need something like this https://www.ebay.com/i/381374541932?rt=nc
www.ebay.com
CP2102 USB 2.0 to TTL UART Module 6Pin Serial Converter STC Replace FT232 Module

(TTL to COM port) and there are many ways of seeing the output, a
"simple" terminal program or one of the many utilities like
https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/u-center-windows. Any will do but best
www.u-blox.com
The u‑center GNSS evaluation software for automotive, mobile terminal and infrastructure applications provides a powerful tool for evaluation, performance analysis ...

use the one that matches the module

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Arv Evans

James

Data from most GPS units is in the NEMA format.  This is ASCII Text data
strings.  because GPS receivers run on either 5V or 3.3V you will need a '
level converter so that the 12V RS-232 data from your laptop will not damage
the GPS receiver.  Set the baud rate to the same on both laptop and GPS
receiver and open a Terminal Emulator application on the laptop.  Configure
the terminal emulator to use the serial port that is connected to your GPS
receiver.   You can select which data streams are output by sending
commands to the GPS receiver.  You should see lines of text streaming by
at 1 second intervals.

$GPRMC,225446,A,4916.45,N,12311.12,W,000.5,054.7,191194,020.3,E*
Where the data string breaks down to:
           225446       Time of fix 22:54:46 UTC
           A            Navigation receiver warning A = OK, V = warning
           4916.45,N    Latitude 49 deg. 16.45 min North
           12311.12,W   Longitude 123 deg. 11.12 min West
           000.5        Speed over ground, Knots
           054.7        Course Made Good, True
           191194       Date of fix  19 November 1994
           020.3,E      Magnetic variation 20.3 deg East
           *68          mandatory checksum
Other NEMA strings contain different data.

http://aprs.gids.nl/nmea/

Arv  K7HKL
_._

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 1:55 PM, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:
Hello to all.

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

If so, how is it done.

My question comes from using an old BT77 gps bluetooth module from way back in time and i seem to remember being able to see the raw data strings as they were received on a PC.

For the life of me though, I'm unable to remember how i did it..

Kind regards, James.

Keith VE7GDH

James 2E0MUA wrote...

Is there a piece of software that will interpret
and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
GPS data from the GPS module?
I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

Arv Evans

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

Alan G4ZFQ

I actually have a few of these in the bits and pieces draw that i bought some time ago for another project..
James.

Yes, since someone showed me these cheap TTL/USB/COM converters that's all I've used for playing with the GPS data.

Although you can feed a GPS into a real RS232 COM port it often is the wrong polarity and requires inversion. (All RS232 ports I've ever tried accept even 3V3 TTL RXD.)
As someone says do NOT send TXD from a real COM port to the GPS although that can be simply done using a resistor/zener to convert to TTL.

This page shows the UART connections https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/u-blox_neo-6-7 and also an interesting GPS, the NEO-7 has a configurable 0.25Hz to about 15MHz GPS referenced generator suitable for providing a reference signal for checking a receiver.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

James Anderson

Good morning Alan, Arv and Kieth.

It's all excellent information and thank you for answering my question.

All being well I should find time this weekend to put something together.

I think I've got a few spare bits and pieces to be able to achieve some results.

The arduino comes to the rescue again. I'll certainly look at that option too.

Kind regards, James.

On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:56, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

Bern Ghis

Hi james,
With my GPS Bluetooth gt368 ,
I use on my laptop GPS nmea monitor ver2.07. From k. Kawano.
This software very use full
And possibility clock synchronization.
Vry 73
Bernard On7an
Envoyé de mon iPhone 👍

Le 17 oct. 2017 à 21:55, James Anderson <james21170@...> a écrit :

Hello to all.

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

If so, how is it done.

My question comes from using an old BT77 gps bluetooth module from way back in time and i seem to remember being able to see the raw data strings as they were received on a PC.

For the life of me though, I'm unable to remember how i did it..

Kind regards, James.

James Anderson

Hello Bern.

I'll look into that too. So much good info.

The visualgps is very similar in format to the software that I used to have some years ago. It showed up how many sats were connected and the data used to stream through in the display. For the life of me though, I can't remember how I did it but with all the answers I'm getting, the weekends looking very promising. Assuming the YL hasn't got other plans Hi

Thank you.

On 18 Oct 2017, at 08:00, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Good morning Alan, Arv and Kieth.

It's all excellent information and thank you for answering my question.

All being well I should find time this weekend to put something together.

I think I've got a few spare bits and pieces to be able to achieve some results.

The arduino comes to the rescue again. I'll certainly look at that option too.

Kind regards, James.

On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:56, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

James Anderson

Just thought I'd say a big thank you to all that responded to my call for help.

I couldn't wait until the weekend and I am now receiving data.

Through the QLG1 connected to the CP2102 USB device and visualgps, to which I will be donating too, it's exactly what I was after.

Kindest to all, James.

I'll look into that too. So much good info.

The visualgps is very similar in format to the software that I used to have some years ago. It showed up how many sats were connected and the data used to stream through in the display. For the life of me though, I can't remember how I did it but with all the answers I'm getting, the weekends looking very promising. Assuming the YL hasn't got other plans Hi

Thank you.

On 18 Oct 2017, at 08:00, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Good morning Alan, Arv and Kieth.

It's all excellent information and thank you for answering my question.

All being well I should find time this weekend to put something together.

I think I've got a few spare bits and pieces to be able to achieve some results.

The arduino comes to the rescue again. I'll certainly look at that option too.

Kind regards, James.

On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:56, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

geoffrey pike

James,
Dont forget that its also easy to configure the QLG1 to send say the RMC sentence only if you wanted, the commands are available from the link on the QLG1 instructions.
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Wednesday, 18 October 2017, 19:40, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Just thought I'd say a big thank you to all that responded to my call for help.

I couldn't wait until the weekend and I am now receiving data.

Through the QLG1 connected to the CP2102 USB device and visualgps, to which I will be donating too, it's exactly what I was after.

Kindest to all, James.

I'll look into that too. So much good info.

The visualgps is very similar in format to the software that I used to have some years ago. It showed up how many sats were connected and the data used to stream through in the display. For the life of me though, I can't remember how I did it but with all the answers I'm getting, the weekends looking very promising. Assuming the YL hasn't got other plans Hi

Thank you.

On 18 Oct 2017, at 08:00, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Good morning Alan, Arv and Kieth.

It's all excellent information and thank you for answering my question.

All being well I should find time this weekend to put something together.

I think I've got a few spare bits and pieces to be able to achieve some results.

The arduino comes to the rescue again. I'll certainly look at that option too.

Kind regards, James.

On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:56, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

James Anderson

Hello Geoff.

It just gets better. I've not thought of looking at the instructions for the QLG1 for information.

Thanks for the info. James, 2E0MUA

I'll look into that too. So much good info.

The visualgps is very similar in format to the software that I used to have some years ago. It showed up how many sats were connected and the data used to stream through in the display. For the life of me though, I can't remember how I did it but with all the answers I'm getting, the weekends looking very promising. Assuming the YL hasn't got other plans Hi

Thank you.

On 18 Oct 2017, at 08:00, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Good morning Alan, Arv and Kieth.

It's all excellent information and thank you for answering my question.

All being well I should find time this weekend to put something together.

I think I've got a few spare bits and pieces to be able to achieve some results.

The arduino comes to the rescue again. I'll certainly look at that option too.

Kind regards, James.

On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:56, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

William Hill

On 17/10/2017 20:55, James Anderson wrote:
Hello to all.

Is there a piece of software that will interpret and show on the laptop the raw data string of the GPS data from the GPS module.?

If so, how is it done.

My question comes from using an old BT77 gps bluetooth module from way back in time and i seem to remember being able to see the raw data strings as they were received on a PC.

For the life of me though, I'm unable to remember how i did it..
Hi,
Once you've got the serial connection from the GPS to the computer, using a USB2TTL converter, or BlueTooth connection or just a USB GPS dongle, I've written
a terminal program to read from the serial and output various formats. Tried it out on Linux, Mac and RaspberryPi.

https://github.com/rufty/gpsread

73 de M1BKF

--
Red to red, black to black, switch it on, but stand well back.

James Anderson

Hello William.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the info.

I have it running on the laptop now via the QLG1 via the CP2102 and I can also see data through my old BT77 Bluetooth device using visualgps.

I can't quite seem to send a command via visualgps though to alter baudrate etc but that's not the end of the world.

I'll take a look at your program too as it's all very useful.

Very kind regards, James.

On 18 Oct 2017, at 19:55, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Hello Geoff.

It just gets better. I've not thought of looking at the instructions for the QLG1 for information.

Thanks for the info. James, 2E0MUA

I'll look into that too. So much good info.

The visualgps is very similar in format to the software that I used to have some years ago. It showed up how many sats were connected and the data used to stream through in the display. For the life of me though, I can't remember how I did it but with all the answers I'm getting, the weekends looking very promising. Assuming the YL hasn't got other plans Hi

Thank you.

On 18 Oct 2017, at 08:00, James Anderson <james21170@...> wrote:

Good morning Alan, Arv and Kieth.

It's all excellent information and thank you for answering my question.

All being well I should find time this weekend to put something together.

I think I've got a few spare bits and pieces to be able to achieve some results.

The arduino comes to the rescue again. I'll certainly look at that option too.

Kind regards, James.

On 17 Oct 2017, at 22:56, Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...> wrote:

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Keith VE7GDH <ve7gdh@...> wrote:
James 2E0MUA wrote...

> Is there a piece of software that will interpret
> and show on the laptop the raw data string of the
> GPS data from the GPS module?

I'm still waiting for a couple of GPS receivers from
QRP Labs, but as others mentioned, you may need to
convert TTL to RS-232. Other than that, you could
just feed it into a terminal program and view the
NMEA strings that it is spitting out. If you want
something a bit fancier, take a look at...

http://www.visualgps.net/

--
73 Keith VE7GDH

James Anderson

Right, I'm having trouble getting the QLG1 to alter the baud rate.

I've got it connected to an Arduino and have got it to receive data and display selected information to 20*4 LCD display.

Can anyone please explain how I can send data to the QLG1 so as to change the baud rate.

If that's even possible.

Kind regards, James.

geoffrey pike

Hi James,
This is what I did, i am connected to the QLG1 via the UART with a CP2102 device. I have previously been seeing data so i am sure iam connected properly.
In RealTerm you can send the appropriate string to change the baud rate.
It may take a few attempts but i really for once found this fairly easy to do.
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP