Topics

Help with strange audio fault #qcx

Alan G4ZFQ

Alan may remember that I had a similar fault with my QCX 30m, and described in earlier posts.
Chris,

Maybe I remember vaguely:-)

I think the
ones supplied in my kit are actually tantalum and are polarised.  At least they look, for reference, identical to the part sold by CPC as MCCB1V105M2ACB which is a 1u 35v tantalum.  They do not look like standard 105 ceramics, which are less elongated and marked differently.
The Farnell illustration shows a + mark. Are they like that?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Chris Wood

To answer the questions posed:

Alan:  yes, they have a + mark as the photo you added

Ted:  yes, they are yellow/buff coloured, see Alan's photo;  fit with lead marked + on inboard side, so adjacent to R38, other lead adjacent to earphone socket.

That's what I've got in mine and it is now working.  Doesn't mean yours is the same, but I hope this might help.

Chris
G4CWS

Ted 2E0THH

The image of my c21 & C22 didn't display for some reason so here it is again.
The 1uF caps I ordered should be here on Saturday so fingers crossed, I will extract C22 tomorrow.
Once I have it out, I wondered if there is any other value i could use to test we are down the right rabbit hole?
I have a few odd caps lying around.
Best Wishes
Ted M7ECH

Alan G4ZFQ

is any other value i could use to test we are down the right rabbit hole?
Ted,

For testing anything over say, 0.1uF 100n.
It just has to pass some sort of audio for ever instead of 5 seconds ;- ) An even lower value would most likely produce adequate results.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan <g8lco1@...>

Tantalum bead caps will have a dot, line or + to indicate polarity , the bead is round under the encapsulation. Your parts look like ceramic plates that have been dipped so will be non-polarised. What does the printing say?

Alan

G8LCO.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

_._,_._,_

Ted 2E0THH

Hi Alan

Many thanks for your input.
Just 105 as far as I can tell. If they were polarised and in the wrong way, I can't wee how the set could work flawlessly for 3 weeks.

Best Wishes
Ted M7ECH

Ted 2E0THH

Brilliant Alan
I'll try that tomorrow and let you know.
Have a good evening
Ted M7ECH

Roland Williams

Tantalum capacitors can work for a surprisingly long time when installed backwards. Imagine the havoc this causes when you get it on a production line; I’ve experienced this first hand. In a signal path the deterioration may be un-noticed for ages even though it’s measurable easily. If they’re across a power line, though, the results can be spectacular, with noisy operation before they fry.

By contrast, the standard aluminum electrolytics die very quickly when reversed.

Roland AE6VL

On Jan 16, 2019, at 10:23 AM, qrp@... wrote:

Brilliant Alan
I'll try that tomorrow and let you know.
Have a good evening
Ted M7ECH

Ted 2E0THH

I am delighted to announce that as 15 mins ago, my QCX40 is alive again!

It took about an hour to gently tease C22 out of the board. After I sucked away most of the solder, I tied some cotton around the component to apply very light tension as heated each pad in turn until it finally gave up. Note that it is almost impossible to avoid some pad damage but I think I have gotten away lightly.

I temporarily replaced it with a 100nF (until the 1uF caps arrive at the weekend) and fired it up. BINGO!

I am deeply indebted to everyone who has offered advice and guidance, but especially Alan G4ZFQ and James W4JED without whom I surely would still be floundering.

My apologies for the ridiculous bandwidth.

73s Ted
M7ECH

Jerry Gaffke

Congratulations on fixing it!

Unless you need to save the part, on throughole it's easiest to just clip the part away,
and then pluck the the wires out one by one.  Then wick out the solder, or heat and blow it clean.
Solder is heavy, a bit easier if you use gravity to wick or blow the solder down not up.
Though no real need to clean the old wires and solder out of the holes,
could just solder the new part to the nubs.  (Makes it easier to remove the next time. ;-)
If you want to save the part, use two irons.

For surface mount R's and C's, heat both ends with two irons,
lift straight up off the board by holding the part between the irons.
For a 3 pin surface mount part, first wick away most of the solder, then heat and
lift the single pin on the one side, now use two irons on the remaining 2 pins.

For a nasty pin surface mount SOIC or the like, use a hot air gun of about 250 watts
and ever so gently pluck the part up with tweezers.
A $20 embossing gun from a hobby shop should work fine.

Jerry, KE7ER

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 03:44 PM, <qrp@...> wrote:
It took about an hour to gently tease C22 out of the board. After I sucked away most of the solder, I tied some cotton around the component to apply very light tension as heated each pad in turn until it finally gave up. Note that it is almost impossible to avoid some pad damage but I think I have gotten away lightly.

Ted 2E0THH

Thanks Jerry
I would normally have opted to clip the component up but there was a risk of collateral damage to adjacent components so I opted for my lasso method I have used many times in the past. You just have to be careful to apply gentle persuasion else you risk pad damage.
Many thanks for the hints, very useful indeed.
73s Ted
M7ECH

justin.munger@...

Ted (and others helped resolve this problem),

I have just built a QCX+ a few weeks ago and after it working for 2 weeks, i experienced the same exact problem you described.  After a few days of troubleshooting on my own, I posted the problem in the QCX group and someone recommended I make the post in QRPLabs group.  I'm glad I searched through all the posts and found yours.  All my troubleshooting steps fell in line with yours--even all the voltage readings on IC10.  I currently have a 1uF electrolytic capacitor in place of the ceramic one until i can get a replacement.

Thanks for leading the way with solving this problem.

Cheers!

--Justin
KN6IPA

Ted 2E0THH

Blimey Justin!

Really pleased that it sorted your problem. My QCX has been powered up virtually every minute since and works like a charm.
I've gone up a license class since and just waiting to sit my advanced.
However I would never have solved the problem without all the help and guidance from the kind souls on this forum.

73s Ted
2E0THH