Topics

GPS QLG1 build

Simon

Any 'brief caution points" that I should take extra care of on building this?

Any experience on its good sensitivity, for it being able to work,
near window for strong (260km per hour wind survival building spec.)
high rise steel re-inforced concrete apartment building?

I have the metal casing, would GPS work inside the metal box, near window?

What sat does it receives? GPS, GLONASS, Beidu, Japan and Galieleo?
The data sheet say 'multi' but not specific on this

Is it MT3339 FLASH or MT3337 ROM inside? The module is YIC51612. If
it is FALSH, how can I download latest firmware?

73 Simon

N3MNT

It exports GPS sentences and 1pp.  It will not work in a metal enclosure unless you have an opening (can be plastic covered) for the GPS antenna.  There is capability for an external antenna that could be placed in a window and unit placed in metal box inside.I do not believe the chip is reprogramable.  There is no interface provided for programming.

Simon

Data sheet states flash and rom version. So, should be programmable. The ublox brand similar product is programmable.

Often, after reset, if these chip see a Speacial Format data string on serial port, it go into program mode. Example, arduino.

73 Simon

On Sunday, January 6, 2019, Chopper <bob@...> wrote:
It exports GPS sentences and 1pp.  It will not work in a metal enclosure unless you have an opening (can be plastic covered) for the GPS antenna.  There is capability for an external antenna that could be placed in a window and unit placed in metal box inside.I do not believe the chip is reprogramable.  There is no interface provided for programming.

John Canfield

No special precautions needed building the kit. Our house has a metal roof and my QLG1 works great placed on a south facing window sill. Whatever birds it receives it gets a fix really quickly. 
--
John, WB5THT

TrueBlue

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 12:16 PM, Simon wrote:
What sat does it receives? GPS, GLONASS, Beidu, Japan and Galieleo?
The data sheet say 'multi' but not specific on this
It would be a long list.

As I write, mine says it's scanning thirty-three and using eleven of them.  I think mine's reached thirty-nine or so, maybe more.

Alan de G1FXB

On 05/01/2019 20:16, Simon wrote:
Is it MT3339 FLASH or MT3337 ROM inside? The module is YIC51612. If
it is FALSH, how can I download latest firmware?

73 Simon

Absolutely no reason to assume you are affected, but to satisfy the lust for knowledge:-
either search this forum for past posts or
http://qrp-labs.com/newsjul2018.html#c8

Advice?

Build the kit AS DESCRIBED in the manual, get it working on stock firmware, if you REALLY feel the need ....

Alan

Terry W6LEO

Any suggestions on what external antenna to use?  My. house also has a metal roof.

Terry
w6leo

Alan de G1FXB

Terry,

search term for external antenna, most recent suggestion from the list
https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/28866

Alan

On 06/01/2019 00:16, terry murphy via Groups.Io wrote:
Any suggestions on what external antenna to use?  My. house also has a metal roof.

Terry
w6leo

Terry W6LEO

Thanks got it.

Terry

Hans Summers

Hi Simon

QLG1 firmware update is possible:

But absolutely unnecessary and I don't recommend it. The firmware in the GPS chip you have already does everything perfectly. There's no point upgrading just for the sale of it, and potentially messing something up.

An external antenna is also unlikely to be necessary even if you have a metal roof.

73 Hans G0UPL 

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019, 01:35 Simon <simonhk7@... wrote:
Data sheet states flash and rom version. So, should be programmable. The ublox brand similar product is programmable.

Often, after reset, if these chip see a Speacial Format data string on serial port, it go into program mode. Example, arduino.

73 Simon

On Sunday, January 6, 2019, Chopper <bob@...> wrote:

Alan G4ZFQ

Simon,

Some time ago the wrong firmware was written to the chips used. (I *think* it was no PPS??)
If you search back there were messages detailing how to flash them.
But otherwise there should be no reason to do that unless it is used for a non-QRPLabs project.

73 Alan G4ZFQ