Topics

Ferrite_material

Timothy Fidler

New folder in Files section has been created with a graphical comparison of type 43 and 61 materials in the two hole balun ferrite format.  This is just a restatement of data that can be found on the Internet. However it save s the search.  Folder name : Ferrite_material.

jakob@...

Thanks for the info. Do you have the picture in higher resolution or each graph on a separate sheet, It is hard to read with older eyes.
73 de AA0JR Jakob

WB9ICF

It is a PDF document and most PDF readers have a zoom function that allows one to magnify the page. It works well with Thomas' file. The graphs can be read clearly on my browser. YMMV.
--
Ralph - WB9ICF

WB9ICF

Sorry. Timothy's file
--
Ralph - WB9ICF

jakob@...

It is a picture stored in a PDF file. When I zoom I get the usual picture pixelation and artifacts. Native PDF has a vector zoom and remains sharp with all zoom settings. I use the original Adobe Acrobat for this image.

Timothy Fidler

Whoa.. Jakob

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/1536958.pdf

This is the EDN 15 which is the dumbed down version of the earlier  catalog as it were

BUT The GENIUSes at Fair RITE took out the curves which I cut and pasted and presented between editions.  Possibly because people were having
a hard time reproducing them experimentally or for instance basing copper tube Power amp transformers on the curves,
which would be total corruption of the intent of the data.

Why don't you email them and ask them for a copy of the  14th EDN as a PDF ?  They might even send you a hard copy if they still have any spare.

Explain why.  Don't zoom  things and bitch too much . You got them for free.

I may well have said on the file posting where the  data came from - I can't check without risk of loss of this edit .  OVer to you .

I did try to email you a copy of cat 14  but I did a purge of all my fat emails recently,  so I can't prove it went out.

Image result for best wishes in french

Meilleurs Voeux !    TEF

Graham, VE3GTC

here is a link the latest Fair-Rite ferrite components catalog ( 17th edition) right from the Fair-Rite web page:

and a link to some interesting technical articles:

and here is where you can request a catalog:

Also, Mouser and Digikey are also good sources for Fair-Rite products.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 7:33 AM Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot, Graham.
The catalog contains all I wanted and it has a good resolution for my aging eyes.
73 de AA0JR Jakob

Timothy Fidler

second attempt to send  catalogue Edn14 to Jacob made.

the associated text is somewhat useful to others and so pasted here.

Since I have a glossy paper copy  of Fair rite catalog Edn 14   I did not bother to keep provenance details.

What is interesting about the multiaperture core data (XL, Rp and vector combination, plotted against frequency )  is that for geometrically similar cores but of different physical size.. the knee points of the curves, particularly the drop off  of Rp  are different in terms of the correp frequency between the curves of nominally the same material . "the mystery of the magic stones"  is all I can say.

What the curves imply for instance is that  type 43 material,  XL is highly non  linear WRT driving frequency and any  L calculation on a type 43 core above about 4 Mhz is a shot in the dark as the Ue of the material is not sustained above that frequency.  It is a pity that the software on the Toroid king site does not have some hard limits or warnings built into it on this matter.

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

The Wayback Machine has a version of the 14th edition of the Fair-Rite catalog. But it doesn't seem to have any more curves than the 15th edition from the Jameco site does.

The 17th edition can be downloaded from the Fair-Rite web site: http://www.fair-rite.com/files1/Fair-Rite_Catalog_17th_Edition.pdf

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:58 PM Timothy Fidler <engstr@...> wrote:
[...]

Believe me it DOES seem...

pages 86 to 91 are very interesting information in terms of designing  RF transformers using BN ferrites or their two tube cousins.  Page 90 is exactly what I pasted up AND what this Jakob complained about  (and he did have a point )  but it had to come out via a JPEG . MSWORD and CutePDFeditor hence some loss on the way.

ACTION REQUEST -

If someone wants to cut those pages out using an upgraded Adobe package and send them to me I will paste them into the Ferrites  tech notes in the Files section.

I don't have the software to do such a cut and shut  without paying  vast moulah to some software conglomerate and my sailboat needs more stainless steel fittings and stuff.