Topics

CW beacon

Adrien F4IJA

Hello,

I'm quite new to CW and still learning, even though I've already assembled a QCX+.

I tested yesterday Reverse Beacon by sending my call with that message (stored as a message in the QCX+).

CQ CQ DE F4IJA F4IJA F4IJA BEACON

Is this the right way ? I don't wan't anyone to think I want to have a QSO, so that's why I've added the "BEACON" at the end.

Do you think it's the proper way to send beacons in CW or is there something better ?

Reid Lanham

I've never heard of adding BEACON, but I think I have heard of adding TEST.  At any rate, even if someone responds to your CQ you don't have to have a qso with them.
--

73, Reid K8JLW

Adrien F4IJA

Yes but it's not nice to make someone feel he can have a QSO and then nothing.

For me, TEST is for contests, so it's another thing.

Vernon Matheson

F4IJA/B will do

On 2020-10-29 13:14, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
Yes but it's not nice to make someone feel he can have a QSO and then nothing.

For me, TEST is for contests, so it's another thing.

MM0VPM

Hi,
I have used "TEST TEST TEST DE MM0VPM MM0VPM  MM0VPM"  and got picked up OK, cq means you are calling for a qso, so you might get a reply...😊

Alan

Adrien F4IJA

Alan, I'm wondering if RBN network will detect a call with no CQ in the TX line.

Vernon : yeah, why not, it's simple for sure.

w7qjq

Here are a couple examples:

V V V DE F4IJA/B ZZ12XX

(replace the ZZ12XX with your Maidenhead Grid Square Location)

or

QST QST QST DE F4IJA/B ZZ12XX

Also, you can add a comment if desired

QST QST QST DE F4IJA/B ZZ12XX COMMENT HERE

73, W7QJQ EM25NU
Radio Welling

Rick Hewett

On Thu 29 Oct Adrien F4IJA wrote:
CQ CQ DE F4IJA F4IJA F4IJA BEACON

Is this the right way ? I don't wan't anyone to think I want to have a
QSO, so that's why I've added the "BEACON" at the end.
RBN will pick up on the "CQ DE <call>" or possibly just the "DE <call>".
For tests where you're not expecting a reply, "TEST DE <call>" (without
CQ!) should also work. RBN skimmers seem to have a limit to how often
they'll spot a single call, so sometimes you need to change frequency to
get re-spotted.

--
73, Rick, M0LEP

kq2q

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 07:29 AM, Rick Hewett wrote:
On Thu 29 Oct Adrien F4IJA wrote:
CQ CQ DE F4IJA F4IJA F4IJA BEACON

Is this the right way ? I don't wan't anyone to think I want to have a
QSO, so that's why I've added the "BEACON" at the end.
RBN will pick up on the "CQ DE <call>" or possibly just the "DE <call>".
For tests where you're not expecting a reply, "TEST DE <call>" (without
CQ!) should also work. RBN skimmers seem to have a limit to how often
they'll spot a single call, so sometimes you need to change frequency to
get re-spotted.

--
73, Rick, M0LEP

Hello
You May consider V V V in place of CQ.

We old timers use 3 V’s to indicate Test or Testing.

73
Bob. KQ2Q.

licensed 55 years!

Adrien F4IJA

TNX for all those informations. Just tested TEST DE F4IJA F4IJA and it works.

There is no misunderstanding about what to do.

Michael N6MST

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 09:04 AM, Adrien F4IJA wrote:
Just tested TEST DE F4IJA F4IJA and it works.
"TEST TEST TEST DE N6MST N6MST N6MST" workes better for me than "TEST DE N6MST N6MST" so you might want to adjust your beacon a little for better results. I have also had people respond to my TEST call so you may actually get someone calling you. If there is another memory available you may want to program something like "SRI THIS IS JUST A TEST DE F4IJA 73" if you don't want to leave the calling station waiting for a reply that will never come. This is not required but it might be nice. Just a thought :)

Bob - K2KI

I use the 3 V method. Works everytime!

Although, years ago, While I was testing out a Novice Rock in my Viking 2, I once did that and was pounced on by a ham who was sending sooo Sloooow and I could tell it was a straight key. I figgered, why not and answered him. He thought that the V was some sort of special way of sending a CQ for a contest or something. He had just received his novice ticket in the mail that morning. I was his first contact ever!

I was surprised he never was taught the three V's by his Elmer. That was in 86ish? So, whenever I send or hear the V's, I get a warm fussy feeling.

Sorry, I just hadda share with the class. Oh, I also brought Choc-Chip cookies and they are in the back of the classroom! :-)

--
73/72 . .
Bob de k2ki