Topics

Clock kit firmware version 1.03d released - fixes day of week bug

Hans Summers

Hi all

This afternoon I found a few hours to investigate and fix the error in my calculation of the weekday which began in October 2020 and was reported in this forum. I have fixed it in version 1.03d which you can find here:

The other fix is the GPS serial data parsing, the checksum validation bug fix I mentioned the other day, that caused some units to show -- instead of the correct information on some fields of the display.

People who want this version but don't have an AVR programmer etc can find it in the QRP Labs shop http://shop.qrp-labs.com/firmware/clockchip

ALL clock kits and clock chips that are dispatched from this moment forward, will have the latest 1.03d version firmware.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Many thanks Hans.

Recently, Win 10 took me from 1909 to 2004 and I needed to update the Adafruit drivers before proceeding. Otherwise the firmware update went smoothly.

I think I'll wait a couple of days before updating clock #2.

Thanks again.

--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Website: http://www.ve7tk.com

ke9uw

Is there a procedural write up for updating the firmware on these various kits? I was looking for a section on the QRP Labs site that included the hex files listed but did not find anything. In my last order a few weeks ago, I bought the c version chip.

Alan G4ZFQ

Is there a procedural write up for updating the firmware on these various kits?
My note here, https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/qrplabs_program_chip_with_USBasp with a link back to the QRP Labs site. Many examples in the Files section of this group.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

ke9uw

I bought one of these so far to prepare to learn how...

USBasp AVR ATMEGA8 Programmer ISP USB|Cable|10 to 6 Pin Adapter

Kevin Zembower

I posed this to describe my procedures using avrdude with a USBTinyISP and Linux. Let me know if you have any questions.

-Kevin
KC3KZ

ke9uw

Thanks very much. I see that there is a wealth of info on the subject now including files.

Jean-Marc Meessen (ON4KJM)

Hello Hans,

Talking about programming Time Zones, this might be of interest to you ;-)

<humor>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY (The Problem with Time & Timezones - Computerphile)
</humor>

73 de ON4KJM

Shane Justice

Great video. Sounds like it is TIME to ditch daylight savings time and go back to standard time. OR just set everyone's time to UTC...

On Oct 29, 2020 at 09:37, Jean-Marc Meessen (ON4KJM) <on4kjm@...> wrote:

Hello Hans,

Talking about programming Time Zones, this might be of interest to you ;-)

<humor>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY (The Problem with Time & Timezones - Computerphile)
</humor>

73 de ON4KJM

Mont Pierce KM6WT

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 07:09 AM, ke9uw wrote:
Is there a procedural write up for updating the firmware on these various kits? I was looking for a section on the QRP Labs site that included the hex files listed but did not find anything.
Yes, instructions and firmware files are all in the qrplabs groups.io files section:
    https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/files

73
km6wt

KEN G4APB

Thanks Hans,
both my 2 line and 4 line clocks are working well and reporting correct day of week with v1.03d.

73 Ken G4APB

n0mpm

Thanks for the fix Hans.  Not only do I get an hour back with Daylight Saving Time, but I get a whole weekend back with v1.03d !!!
73, Mike/nompm

Nigel D

Thanks Hans, got round to updating the firmware over the weekend with AVRDUDESS and USBASP. No issues and the upgrade works as it should.
A thought occurred to me whilst customising the display that it would be good to display more time zones than the present UTC and local, perhaps up to four zones? I still have my Yeasu mechanical world clock that at a glance tells you the time anywhere in the world and was very useful 20 years ago. Now it is hopeless at keeping accurate time.
This is not a request for immediate action. Please put it on your to do list for consideration at a later date.
Thanks for the great kits. Nigel VK6NI

nwpac6

Since the Local Sidereal Time works perfect from release c1.03b, anything new or changed on that front in the latest?

Mont Pierce KM6WT

Hi Hans,

Will you also have an updated firmware file for the DDS SigGen?

It also parses and displays the same GPS data as the clock...

Tnx
km6wt

Hans Summers

Hi

Since the Local Sidereal Time works perfect from release c1.03b, anything new or changed on that front in the latest?

No change in sidereal time functionality. See firmware change history: http://qrp-labs.com/clockn

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

Hans Summers

Hi Mont

Will you also have an updated firmware file for the DDS SigGen?

It also parses and displays the same GPS data as the clock...

Yes I will, but I wasn't rushing to do it... do you need it urgently?

73 Hans G0UPL